Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 72887 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
Made some pizza for a visiting friend. New oven; so I was worried about reaching the temperature that my old reliable used to hit. I came up with the easiest temperature hack ever. I found the heat sensor clipped to the oven wall. I unclipped it and slid it out through the stovetop. With the sensor now on the outside, the oven (still a bottom gas broiler) never shuts off. The heat was as good as, if not better than, the old oven. Here's a pic.

Edit: Just for the record, this is GM Better for Bread flour, 68% hydration, and a 5-day rest in the cooler.  Found some great tomatoes by chance.  I was at Super WalMart, and they had Wild Oats organic crushed tomatoes for $1.49 a can.  I figured nothing to lose and grabbed two.  Opened one can to taste it and see if it was worth using on my pizza.  Sweet and mild.  Really delicious.  Made one of my best sauces ever.  Also, after going all the way over 70 percent on hydration, I was losing oven spring and manageability.  I felt that I had passed the point of diminishing returns; so I dialed it back to 68.  No oil.  Glad I did.  Not only was the dough easier to manage at every stage, but the oven spring was right where I want it, and the crust was firm and chewy but tender.   Glad I ventured off the beaten path with hydration and oil because now I know what's optimal for me.

Happy Super Bowl watching!

-  GB  :chef:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:51:40 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Frome one "boy"  to another, that is a pie of beauty!!!

Can anyone compare FM FS to this Better for Bread flour, especially for multi-day CF. Does it develop beautiful complex flavors like B for B ?

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, JPB.  Here's the same ingredients with a nine-day-old dough and better temperature control on the bake.  This was fantastic.

Edit:  Jersey, to answer your question, I've never used GMFS, but I've had pizzas that I knew were made with it at Luna Pizza in Simsbury CT, which was founded by an ex-Grimaldi's pizzaiolo.  Similar character, but hard to compare without firsthand experience or at least a side-by-side comparison.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:59:14 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
Thanks gb..

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »
Have you ever tried Mozza? The crumb of your pies and the micro blisters on your crust remind me of Mozza's pizzas...

This is what 70 percent looks like at 4 days old.  Same ingredients minus the Boar's Head mozzarella.  Delicious.

Offline bc5000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:58 PM »
I made a couple dough balls using the OP's recipe. I weighed everything. I used All Trumps High Gluten flour. Did everything exactly like the instructions said but it never has shown any sign of rising. It's now been in the fridge 3 days.

I have the dough in Ziplock plastic bowls and there never has been any gas build up. I've made dough for thin and crispy and I can't keep the lid from popping off.

I would make another batch but I don't know of anything that I could do different.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »
bc5000,

I wouldn't give up just yet on the dough. Glutenboy's recipe calls for a small amount of yeast and the dough ball weight) is on the small side and can cool down very quickly once it is placed in the refrigerator. Also, if the water temperature that was used to make the dough was on the cold side, that can also slow down the fermentation rate. It is also possible that the dough did rise some but was not noticeable to the eye. You can see the progression of the rise when I made a dough using Glutenboy's recipe at Reply 78 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7761.msg72399#msg72399. In that case, the dough went out to eight days. See, also, the last paragraph of Reply 88 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7761.msg72459;topicseen#msg72459.

Peter

Offline bc5000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
The water I used was on the cool side. We'll see what happens when I go to cook one in a couple days.

Online rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #268 on: Yesterday at 02:43:44 PM »
Can anyone compare FM FS to this Better for Bread flour, especially for multi-day CF. Does it develop beautiful complex flavors like B for B ?
Almost good timing. I just put a glutenboy batch using FS into the fridge last night. I bought a bag of BfB yesterday and plan on making another batch either tomorrow night or the day after. I should know in a week.

fwiw, I used KABF before FS. I found FS to be more forgiving. (Elasticity and a tough, leathery bite.) It turned out that my old mixer was bashing my mixes to smithereens in a fraction of the time called for to mix batches. That "fix" had a much bigger affect on my crusts than any flour ever did.  A nominal effect is about the most I'm expecting out of this BfB test.
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #269 on: Yesterday at 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks rparker..I look forward to the results of the comparison.

GB,  made a couple of your pies a week or so ago, and though no photographic proof exists, I can tell you they were delicious..it's a great recipe.