Author Topic: NY style with BS oven  (Read 475 times)

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
NY style with BS oven
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:22:16 AM »
Few pies from today.

Jason's 24 hr ferment recipe. This time I changed it a lil bit, I used 0.018% IDY and had to put it in refrigerator after 12 hr room temp ferment as the dough was expanding quite at good pace. 3 hrs before bake, I got the dough out and I didnt have any issues stretching it.

I got the cheeseflector installed on BS.

Question I have is,
the edges are not baking properly and the rest of the pizza is ready to be eaten.  What I did for few pies is, oven at 900F, switch off to bring the temps to 600 range by switching off the oven, launch the pie and leave it as is for 2 min, switch on the flam at low for another min and last 30 sec go high (thanks to jonas for all these excellent tips). The problem was edges were done a little. Then I started moving the pie closer to the flame so that it can brown and it did but 1 pie i overburnt at some places.

What could I have done to get the edges brown and crisp evenly on all pies? Appreciate your response.

If you see the first two pies, the edges were not at all brown but the pie was done.

Offline SLCpizzamaster

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY style with BS oven
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:35:00 AM »
The longer I cold ferment the better my crust browns.  3 day is perfect.
Sometimes I cheat and spray olive oil on the crust, if I don't have 3 days :D

I use no sugar in my dough by the way and use a BS oven as well. 

Offline live4u

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
The longer I cold ferment the better my crust browns.  3 day is perfect.
Sometimes I cheat and spray olive oil on the crust, if I don't have 3 days :D

I use no sugar in my dough by the way and use a BS oven as well. 

Can you post any pics you have?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
NY style with BS oven
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
That looks pretty good for your first bake in that oven.  The Blackstone has more power than sense,  so there is a small learning curve especially at lower temps.  My best guess is that you shouldn't be wide-open for the last part.  I keep my eye on the pizza and my hand on the thermostat.  You can see when the flame is actually hitting the rim.  I like a small amount of that, but you may not like it at all. 

You may also have to experiment with the position of the "cheeseflector".   You can also try launching at slightly higher and lower temps to see what results you like best.

Regards,
Jonas
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline live4u

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Thanks Jonas. Will keep that in mind next time. Do you happen to have a pic that has the flame on and how the cheeseflector is deflecting the flame?

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
These are your first bakes with the BS? Nice job!

One of the coolest things about pizza is that everyone's pie is different. I had to go the entirely different direction. No cheeseflector, no high temps and reducing the outer-ring bake was a primary goal. The total opposite. I had a different pie in mind.

As you can see, it's quite a bit different. Mine are greasy flavor bombs. My launches are somewhere between 535F and 585F. Low hydration, high watery sauce, 3-days CF, fire-brick replaced the cordierite stone and the heat shield assembly has been shifted away from the pizza. It took me  months to get to this specific variety of the NY Style pie.

(Yes, I can do less greasy versions)

So you're off to a better start. If anything on mine looks like something you want, lemme know and I'll describe how I got what.

Roy
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.