Author Topic: what rack in the electric oven  (Read 256 times)

Offline Malanga

what rack in the electric oven
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
So we moved and I have yet to make pizza in the new house.  Our old place was a bottom broiler and now we have an electric top broiler. 

Question:  what rack should I use?  I use four 4x4 quarry tiles so I'd rather not play the game of moving the rack late bake.  I've read a few postings by folks mentioning bottom rack, but for some reason that sounds too far.  I'm probably wrong…

Also, should I go one layer of tiles or two, since I will be cooking three 15 in pies?

Thanks so much guys! 

EDIT:  quarry tiles are used.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:26:41 AM by Malanga »

Offline Malanga

Re: what rack in the electric oven
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Also, when it comes to heating, just max out temps and THEN turn on broiler?  Or rock broiler right from the get-go.

Originally I was thinking top-rack all the way the stones, preheating for 45-60 min, then cranking up the broiler right before I launch. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Also, when it comes to heating, just max out temps and THEN turn on broiler?  Or rock broiler right from the get-go.

Originally I was thinking top-rack all the way the stones, preheating for 45-60 min, then cranking up the broiler right before I launch.
Your original thought seems in line with what many here do. You will have to experiment with timing of the broiler.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
Malanga,

You might take a look at this post: Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg20965.html#msg20965.

Peter

Offline Malanga

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
Your original thought seems in line with what many here do. You will have to experiment with timing of the broiler.

Thanks Bob.  I think I may give this way a go for the first pie.  If it gets a bit too toasty up top, I'll go lower rack and see what happens.

It's been a while since I've made pizza and I'm a bit amped up about doing this right.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Malanga,

You might take a look at this post: Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg20965.html#msg20965.

Peter

Solid link Pete!  Thank you.  Need to do my (pizza) homework!

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »
Clay tiles won't give you a very fast bake time. What you need to do is figure out how long it takes the bottom to cook at max heat, and then supplement the broiler so the top & bottom balance equally. With clay tiles, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't need the broiler at all.
Josh

Offline Malanga

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
Clay tiles won't give you a very fast bake time. What you need to do is figure out how long it takes the bottom to cook at max heat, and then supplement the broiler so the top & bottom balance equally. With clay tiles, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't need the broiler at all.

Thanks JD.  I'll have some tinkering to do, no doubt.  At the old place, I had an "oven-in-an-oven" set up using these quarry tiles and covering the temp probe with firebrick which allowed me to really jack up the temps.  I was getting 4.5 to 5 minute pies there but the top never got as cooked as I would've liked.  Anyhow, I was hoping to avoid the need to filling up the oven with tiles again for the hearth.  (Living in a NW PA, I should probably find myself a nice chunk of steel at one of the local foundries).

BTW I caught that thread of yours just a couple of minutes ago… those pies look insane!!!  Great work.

pizzapan