Author Topic: Open for business  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Polo1523

Re: Open for business
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Hey JD, the Oven is huge 55" beginer mistake, not the best for Pizza I make it work but it is too large and the dome is too high has good insulation , I am building a new one in the next month or two, already have some of the material, I will make a 42" wfo with a lower dome Naples Style, less wood to get it to temp, better design on the dimensions for better air flow, I'll post a couple of pics when I get started, sure definitely I want to dedicate to Pizza making also selling some pastas and salads, but I think it will take a bit more time to expand, as for now I will build the new oven and exterior kitchen and keep going, people is returning every week and had many comments that I am making the best Pie in TJ so that satisfy me and keeps me motivated to keep going.
Oh by the way yes the Pizza is 18"
Regards Leo.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 10:24:13 AM »
Hey JD, the Oven is huge 55" beginer mistake, not the best for Pizza I make it work but it is too large and the dome is too high has good insulation , I am building a new one in the next month or two, already have some of the material, I will make a 42" wfo with a lower dome Naples Style, less wood to get it to temp, better design on the dimensions for better air flow, I'll post a couple of pics when I get started, sure definitely I want to dedicate to Pizza making also selling some pastas and salads, but I think it will take a bit more time to expand, as for now I will build the new oven and exterior kitchen and keep going, people is returning every week and had many comments that I am making the best Pie in TJ so that satisfy me and keeps me motivated to keep going.
Oh by the way yes the Pizza is 18"

Thanks for the info Polo. Can you make 2 pies at the same time currently? You are far more experienced than I am, but if you are expanding your business I wouldn't expect you to reduce your oven size to 42" when making 18" pizza's.  Maybe a 60" low dome is in order  >:D
Josh

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
JD, I'm rooting for Higher Temps, sort like a Neapolitan/ NY Style Pie, I prefer one pie at a time, Im doing a 4 minute bake now, I did once a 2 minute bake and liked the results but the oven required a lot of wood to keep the temps up, the larger the oven the more wood is needed, I looked at some Neapolitan pizzerias and they do 1 pie at a time since the bake time is so quick around 90 seconds they don't need to throw more than 1 pie, the secret is to have a couple of stretched doughs ready to put the topings and the rest is so quick that you can probably get around 5 pies in 15 minutes out not too bad, if I get someone to help and just focus on the oven I can probably do 2 pies at a time, also I will add a ceramic board as floor insulation instead of insulation cement mix.
Regards Leo.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Been a while since I posted my work, business going stronger, below 2 of my latest pies.
Regards Leo.

Offline Gags

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
Great looking pies!!!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Online TomN

« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »
Thanks for keeping us all updated on your progress and thanks for posting the photos of your Pizza.

TomN

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
More of my work, today's Pies!!!   :chef: :pizza:
Regards Leo.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
Do your customers know how damn lucky they are Leo?  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:35 AM »
Thanks Bob,  I think they are starting to notice  :D,  Ive had a lot of compliments in my facebook site, some of them tell me that my pies are the best in town and strangely I dont even have a restaurant im just a guy making pies in my backyard
Regards Leo.

Offline ged92781

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2013, 03:11:36 AM »
I wish I could do what you're doing up in my neck of the woods. The pizzas look great!

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
Polo,  what can I say, but simply beautiful, those pies are looking top notch.  Are you still using the same recipe/workflow?  I notice there isn't as much char on the rims, or just shorter bake times.

Vince
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:18:03 PM by vincentoc13 »

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
Hey Vince,

For those last couple of pies, y decreased the fermentation period, I am selling more pies every weekend, so in some cases I need to make batches same day or 1 day in advance, I've noticed that it really impacts on the color of the rim, and maybe shorter baking periods, still very crispy and flavorful,  trying to get better everyday, here a pic from my outdoor kitchen, a work in progress.
Regards Leo.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
Hey Vince,

For those last couple of pies, y decreased the fermentation period, I am selling more pies every weekend, so in some cases I need to make batches same day or 1 day in advance, I've noticed that it really impacts on the color of the rim, and maybe shorter baking periods, still very crispy and flavorful,  trying to get better everyday, here a pic from my outdoor kitchen, a work in progress.
Up the sugar(for more browning) in those short ferment batches and no one will ever know the difference.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »
I never use sugar, I will definitely try Bob, thanks.
Regards Leo.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »
Were this Facebook, I would not like it.

I WOULD LOVE IT! I feel like I'm getting to watch a dream come true. Props to you man.

Tanner

BTW, the pies look out of this world.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
Thank you so much i really put so much effort into this im glad you like my pies
Regards Leo.

Offline Coon88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
Great job polo.. its cool how your making it with a full time job and using your back yard as a test. Good luck with your future restaurant

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »
Polo, what is the TF on those pies or size and weight.  I gotta get mine to look like that ;D

Thanks,

Vince

Offline james456

• NY & American Style Pizza Lover
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
Damn they look delicious. I wish the UK had guys like you cooking NY style pizzas in their back yard  :drool:

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
18" pies,  tf. 090
Regards Leo.

pizzapan