Author Topic: Open for business  (Read 10198 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Open for business
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
If only I could do that in IL.  Governments suck!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
Hey phytonic yes here in Mexico its different I am registered as a small business but still easier to get a permit if you know someone that knows someone you are in the other side.
Regards Leo.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »
Hey vince probably that was the case I dont knead that much,  the dough develops by itself in thr frigde,  also as of now the weather overhere is between 80-90 i noticed that my dough ball smell more fermented than usual
Regards Leo.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 08:59:46 PM »
Polo,  OK I'm going to cut down on the kneading time that should take care of of the dense crust.  Yeah its been kind of hot over here in OC.  how many dough balls do you think your gonna make this weekend?

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
Hey vince i think i will make 30 and see how it goes,  i frozen one dough just to see how it responds in case i dont sell all my pies i can have a plan b
Regards Leo.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
That sounds good, let me know if the frozen one comes out good.  I just received the All Trumps in the mail today, man that was expensive 47.00 for fifteen pounds with the shipping cost.

I have some saf- instant yeast in the red bag, do you know if it will be OK to use it with a long cold rise fermentation?  I sure dont want to mess things up with the All Trumps.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »
Most of the times i use instant yeast and works great,  damn 47 it is expensive you should find someone that has a rest depot card. 50lbs for about 17 dollars
Regards Leo.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
Todays piesss.   And a bread with the frozen dough ball from last week
Regards Leo.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
Beautiful Leo. :chef:

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
How many did you do for this week? Did you sell out again?

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »
I did 30 pies sold out,  couldnt take more pics the orders kept coming.
Regards Leo.

Offline Pauley

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 02:41:42 AM »
Congrats, Leo! I think it is very cool that you took the big step to start your own weekend business.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
Thank you Pauley, here are a couple of pics from this weekend, don't have much of a chance to take pictures .

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:58:19 AM by Polo1523 »
Regards Leo.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
Polo, those are some gorgeous pies. Out of curiosity, what is the pizza business like around TJ?  I am slightly surprised, not at your success necessarily, but that your customers must 'know' good pizza from bad pizza.  Reading through some of the other Mexican threads on the forum, it seems that a pizza crust in Mexico is seen as little more than a toppings-delivery device.  Those pies would sell out in NYC too.

Dave

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
Hey Dave thanks for your comments, well right now in TJ in general restaurant business is growing, since the last couple of years it's like a boom, mainly because we have good weather, we have the ocean 20 minute drive, caesar was invented here, Puerto nuevo lobster is world famous, so we have a little bit of history, besides the bad reputation this city has, crimes and mafia related, pizzas business is also growing, but as you mention below, there are a few restaurants that focus more on the topings than on doing a great flavorful crispy airy crust, most of the restaurants they serve the flat thin crust pizza without any flavor, but they use top 1st quality ingredients and combinatios, like pesto arrachera , octopus, shrimp etc which is not bad but to tell you the truth I like more the classic Italian NY Style, and just a couple of weeks that I have been in business I've received very good compliments, a friend told me that it was the first time he could really taste all ingredients and enjoy, the crust, the cheese, sauce etc, another customer mentioned that pizza is not the same since he tasted mine, so I guess this is a good thing, there is only one great pizzeria NY style that I take my hat off, Tonys New York Style, the owner is from NY so he knows what he is doing, I think it is a good time for doing business right now.

Regards Leo,.
Regards Leo.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
By the way here is mi FB page, it's in spanish just to take a peek,

https://www.facebook.com/Pizza15
Regards Leo.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »
Polo,
I'm very happy things are going so well for you.  :chef:
Please tell me....are you providing dine in there at you casa for the customers and what is an average price for a pie(in dollars), thank you!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
Hey Bob,  no just orders for pick up,  i had some family visits they wanted to try my pies,  they dont usually eat pizza and they really liked it.  In dollars around. $14. 00
Regards Leo.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
Hey Bob,  no just orders for pick up,  i had some family visits they wanted to try my pies,  they dont usually eat pizza and they really liked it.  In dollars around. $14. 00
OK cool Polo. Your FB page list says $$$$ and I saw $140.00 on your menu and thought geez...pizza be very very good to Polo!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
Leo,

As I see it, you have at least four things going for you with your Mexican pizza business.

First, Mexico recently overtook the U.S. as the fattest country in the developed world. From reports I have read, a good part of the blame or credit, depending on how one looks at it, was given to the increased availability of fast food. In my trips to Mexico, I have noted that the food courts in places like Sam's, WalMart, and Costco, and also in the malls, are almost always full with diners. And among them are a lot of pizza eaters.

Second, Mexico has a large and growing middle class. From what I have read, their middle class in relation to the total population is apparently larger than even the U.S. A growing middle class translates into a lot of disposable income.

Third, the business regulatory environment in Mexico is fairly light. As this funny video below highlights,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw</a>

the Mexican authorities can drive you batty with paperwork and procedure but once you get past that, it seems that they rule with a fairly light hand as to day to day operations. My son, who has lived and Mexico and still works there, tells me that Mexico is where the U.S. used to be many years ago before it developed a heavy regulatory hand, at just about every level. Just as you are selling pizza out of your home, on a recent visit to Mexico my son took me to a local home in his neighborhood where a husband and wife sold their homemade tamales out of a large cooler. He said that we had to get there early because their tamales were so good that they often sold out early. I'm not sure what hoops they had to jump through to run their business but their operation was as basic as you could get it. Make the tamales, put them in the cooler, and sell them.

Fourth, the Mexicans love pizza. I have had some mediocre pizza in Mexico but the pizzas I saw at places like Sam's and Costco looked similar to what is sold in their counterpart stores in the U.S. Likewise with the Sbarro Mexican pizza. But your pizzas are light years ahead of what I saw. That should bode well for your business.

Peter

pizzapan