Author Topic: GM Neapolitan flour dough to try in my old BBQ setup  (Read 2800 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: GM Neapolitan flour dough to try in my old BBQ setup
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
Norma,

You're the greatest! Your attention to detail and persistence in trying to achieve "as perfect a product as possible" within the constraints of your environment is inspiring! It is further motivation for me to stop doing things in a "half-a$$" manner in many areas of my life!

Beautiful (and I am sure tasty!) examples of BBQ-fired NP pizza!

John K

John,

Thanks!  Sometimes I do things in a half-a$$ manner too.  :-D I just like to experiment and since I saw Craig and Scot makes Craig's dough and I didn't have any other high temperature oven at home, I used the BBQ mod I tried before.  I liked Craig's dough with the GM flour much better than other doughs I tried in my BBQ mod.   

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
Great looking pizzas Norma. Well done! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Thanks TinRoof!

Norma

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »
very nice job Norma, looks very tasty.
Bert,

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
The crumb and undersides are perfect, Norma! The tops so rustically colorful and temptingly delicious looking. And great assortment of pictures! You might be as good a photographer as you are pizzaioli. Nah, your pizzas still are better! I'd rather pay for one of your pies than buy the photo.  :-D

EDIT: BTW, how did that new cheese work for you?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:59:06 PM by f.montoya »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
very nice job Norma, looks very tasty.

Bert,

Thank you for then nice comments!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »
The crumb and undersides are perfect, Norma! The tops so rustically colorful and temptingly delicious looking. And great assortment of pictures! You might be as good a photographer as you are pizzaioli. Nah, your pizzas still are better! I'd rather pay for one of your pies than buy the photo.  :-D

EDIT: BTW, how did that new cheese work for you?

Fidel,

Thanks for your nice comments too!  I never would be a good photographer because I can't even figure out how to use the different settings on the camera I have now.   :-D

The new cheese worked out well for these pizzas and the pizza I made at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26385.0.htm but it was not as flavorful as some fresh mozzarella’s.  I can't find too many really good fresh mozzarella’s in my area.   

Norma

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
... I can't find too many really good fresh mozzarella’s in my area.   

Norma

Same here(Japan) regarding cheese. I've since started using the Eurotrading website, which is a restaurant supplier of foods from Europe, as the name implies. They have a wide variety of cheeses that I am just now starting to try.  :)

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »
Hey Norma! 

Those pizzas look wonderful.  "Fresh" is the word I would use to describe them. 

How do you like the GM flour as compared to others you have used (Caputo ??).  Personally I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the GM and Caputo taste wise but I'm sure there are some subtle differences that Craig could comment on.

Where did you get your GM flour from?

Scot

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »
Great job.  Nice balance top and bottom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »
Same here(Japan) regarding cheese. I've since started using the Eurotrading website, which is a restaurant supplier of foods from Europe, as the name implies. They have a wide variety of cheeses that I am just now starting to try.  :)

Fidel,

I hope you find some good fresh mozzarella's that you really like.  ;D  Steve (Ev) my friend here on the forum uses Grande fresh mozzarella and it is good, but I have to travel to get it and really I don't make a lot of Neapolitan pizzas.  When I get time to go to Philly again I am also going to look at fresh mozzarella's.

That mozzarella a tried on these pizzas really melted well. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
Hey Norma! 

Those pizzas look wonderful.  "Fresh" is the word I would use to describe them. 

How do you like the GM flour as compared to others you have used (Caputo ??).  Personally I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the GM and Caputo taste wise but I'm sure there are some subtle differences that Craig could comment on.

Where did you get your GM flour from?

Scot

Scot,

Thanks!  I like the word fresh.  ;) I will see how using maybe the same formulation will work in my BS when it is put together.  I can imagine it might make better pizzas, but will see what happens.

For me, I do like the new GM flour as good as the Caputo Pizzeria flour.  Maybe Craig can comment more since he has used Caputo Pizzeria flour more than I have. 

I posted Joe Kelley's cell phone number on this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25618.msg258278.html#msg258278  Joe is the rep for the new GM flour in this area.  Trenton Bill just called Joe and Bill was truthful that he just makes pizzas at home and Joe is sending him a 50 lb. sample bag of the new GM flour to try.  I told Trenton Bill about the BS ovens too and he did just purchase one on Monday.  I caught heck from Bill though because I didn't tell him about the BS before, but I said I was watching how those BS performed and what was going on with them before I told him about them.  I told Bill to follow the forum more too.   :-D

Maybe Joe can give you a contact number for a rep for the new GM flour in your area.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Great job.  Nice balance top and bottom

Qarl,

Thank you!

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
You can find your GM sales rep here: http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/find-sales-representative

I need to use the flour more, but so far, I have not noticed a material difference as compared to Caputo. The only subtle difference I've noted is that it needs abut 1% additional water vs. Cauto.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 11:50:47 PM »
You can find your GM sales rep here: http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/find-sales-representative

I need to use the flour more, but so far, I have not noticed a material difference as compared to Caputo. The only subtle difference I've noted is that it needs abut 1% additional water vs. Cauto.

My rep was very nice when I contacted her initially. Said she was going to send a sample but it never arrived :( I've tried a couple of times to re-initiate request but to no avail. mmmph was kind enough to share some of his  so I was fortunate enough to try some. It performed very well. So I guess the next question is how to go about getting a regular supply at a reasonable price. Anyone have ideas there? (Obviously asking from the perspective of a non-professional/low volume consumer)

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »

Anyone have ideas there? (Obviously asking from the perspective of a non-professional/low volume consumer)

John K

John,

I haven't talked to Joe Kelley in a little while, but Trenton Bill did.  Joe told Trenton Bill that the new GM flour should soon be at distributors in Trenton, NJ.   I don't even know where I can purchased some of the GM flour when I run out.  I also would be a low volume user. 

Maybe some other members can comment if they found distributors for the new GM flour in the areas where they live. 

Norma

Offline parallei

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »

About two weeks ago I contacted the rep for Colorado on the link you've shown above.  He told me the GM Neapolitan was the same flour as their Better for Bread!  I said I thought not, and asked if he'd check it out for me.  Never heard back from the guy............great service, and he had no idea that I was not in the business.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »
About two weeks ago I contacted the rep for Colorado on the link you've shown above.  He told me the GM Neapolitan was the same flour as their Better for Bread!  I said I thought not, and asked if he'd check it out for me.  Never heard back from the guy............great service, and he had no idea that I was not in the business.

The lady I talked to with GM, Katie Fleming, was extremely professional and delivered everything she promised as promised. She followed up and seemed to be genuinely interested in what I thought of the product - good or bad, and she knew that I don't own a pizzeria. I'd love to have the opportunity to help GM sell this flour to NP pizzerias. Given what I've seen so  far,  I believe it is a very good product.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline parallei

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »
The lady I talked to with GM, Katie Fleming, was extremely professional and delivered everything she promised as promised. She followed up and seemed to be genuinely interested in what I thought of the product - good or bad, and she knew that I don't own a pizzeria. I'd love to have the opportunity to help GM sell this flour to NP pizzerias. Given what I've seen so  far,  I believe it is a very good product.

Glad you had better luck than me!  I'll try again.  When I went sniffing after some Bay State Contadino, they had a 50# sample at my door two days later!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »
When I went sniffing after some Bay State Contadino, they had a 50# sample at my door two days later!

That was my experience with GM on this flour.

Having been a Foodservice sales rep and worked with many foodservice sales reps. I can say for sure that all reps are not created equal.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »

Paul,

I will send Joe an email to see if he knows if anyone can get you a sample of the new GM flour, or find a place you might be able to purchase a bag.  Joe has been very helpful and even said he was going to send Bill that bag and Bill was truthful that he didn't own a pizzeria.  Joe also sent Steve another sample bag and asked if I wanted another sample bag.  I said no, I didn't want another sample bag, but I have been contacting Joe about how members here on the forum do like the new GM flour.  I also asked Joe to help Tin Roof to find the flour where he lives.  I don't know if Tin Roof was then able to get a bag or not, but Joe was going to contact reps to help Tin Roof.

Norma