Author Topic: Jim's Sfincione  (Read 1014 times)

Offline JimmyG

Jim's Sfincione
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
I know I don't post too often anymore, but I thought I would post the sfincione I baked off tonight.
Dough formula:
100% Durum/AP Flour mix (3:1 ratio)
70% water (127F and 74F)
3% sourdough starter
2.6% salt
TF = 0.13

Half the formula dough weight in flour and water (at 127F) was mixed till homogenous, covered and refrigerated for 72h.  After which, the rest of the ingredients were mixed together to form a dough ball that was allowed to rise at 65F over night till doubled.  The dough was stretched and placed in a well oiled pan. The dough was topped with a tomato, anchovy, onion sauce, oregano, young pecorino cheese and bread crumbs, and baked at 550F for approximately 10-13 mins.

For the sauce, I strained and salted a can of crushed tomatoes, so the watery liquid could separate and run through the strainer. Next I sauteed two red onions till light brown. Then I added in some oregano, chili flakes and braised the onions in the tomato water till evaporated. The braised onions were cooled to room temperature and a cup of the strained tomatoes were added to the onions. This mixture was applied to the pizza prebake. 
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Jackitup

Re: Jim's Sfincione
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 01:17:23 AM »
That pie reminds me of the homemade ones that my ma made for us when we were kids, back when those pizza kits first came out for doing in a sheet pan back in the 60's. She would doctor them up and had a taste I still crave. Looks GREAT :drool:

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:03:29 AM »
Jimmy, that pizza looks great. It's really just calling out to me.  I love the sauce too.  I may have to give that a try one of these days. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »
Looks good. Not sure if it's the lighting, but the dough has a straw color to it, the color resembles a dough made with semolina flour. What did you think of the flavor of the sourdough together with the usual sfincione toppings? 

Just had a couple reheated sfincione slices - hit the spot :D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:39:54 AM »
Jim,

Your Sfincione looks delicious!  Do you notice any difference in the taste of the crust or any other differences when mixing half the formula dough weight in flour and water and refrigerating and then adding the rest of the ingredients and letting it rise at 65 degrees F.  Sounds something like the epoxy method you helped me with awhile ago.  Have you done more tests on that method, or is this a new method of yours?  I like your experimenting.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »
JimmyG, good to see you back and that's a great looking pie. I know it's thicker but it has the look of a Grandma style, home made pizza at it's finest. Are you still entertaining thoughts of moving to NY?
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
Thanks for the kind words folks!

Johnny, it is indeed semolina or... durum flour in this case. Here in the States, coarsely ground durum wheat is "normally" categorized as semolina, which is used for pasta, and finely ground durum wheat is referred to as durum flour or durum fancy flour or fancy semolina flour. The terminology can get quite confusing as there seems to be no prescribed industry standard, but yes, you are correct. 

Good catch Norma! It is the modified method we left off at; mixing high temp water and flour together to form a makeshift mash, aging that for several days, than adding in the rest of the ingredients the day or night before the bake to form the dough ball. I still use that method quite a bit for bread and pizza, unless I'm feeling lazy or under time constraints to produce. But I have been pretty successful with the method we both settled on and really enjoy the unique flavor that this method produces.

Thanks. I'm not back yet Dave. This fall I hope to make a trip for a least a few weeks. I'll PM you if I do and make we could do a NY pizza crawl.

Jim
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

pizzapan