Author Topic: Where to begin?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Where to begin?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
I freeze it to kill the bugs, but I have no idea on actual shelf life.

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Where to begin?
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the wealth of information here!  I've been reading and researching and reading over the past several weeks, and finally had a chance to put what I've learned to the test. 

I made some pizzas over the weekend and wanted to share some photos for commentary, feedback and suggestions.

Made 3 NY style pizzas with dough using the Lehman dough calculator: all trumps flour, 63% hydration, 1%sugar and oil, 3% salt.
Baked when oven was heating up at 550°, possibly as warm as 625 by the time the last pie was out.  Took two pics.  Topped with a blend of whole milk shred mozzarella, provolone, and sprinkle of pecorino Romano.  Did a straight pepperoni, a supreme style plus pepperoni, and a meat (no pic on this) with sausage, bacon, and 4 types of pepperoni/salami. Only posted one pic of the crust from pie 1.  The others were a bit darker, probably as the oven heated up.

Then I added some more logs and cranked the heat 850-900 and baked 6 Neapolitan pies.  Made the dough per TXCraig1 directions using Caputo about 906 grams total, 62.5% hydration, salt, and ischia yeast culture (i probably added about 50% more than called for)I mistakenly balled after some rise had occurred, but let it rise for a little more than 24° at 75 ferment temp the whole time.  It was probably over risen by a few hours and also probably due to too much yeast culture?  Anyway, the dough came out of the containers easily, and was very tender to work with.  I was aiming for 250 g balls for 12" pizzas.  Some I stretched a little larger.  Easy to work with!  I was afraid during balling it was too wet, but turned out fine.  Needed very little work to get them into shape.  Need some practice forming the pies and cornice.  Had one near disaster with bit of dough sticking to peel.  I had a short handle wooden peel and a medium length larger solid thin aluminum peel.  I used the wooden peel because things seem to stick worse to the metal peel.  I applied only a little semolina flour to get the pie to slide off.  There was also some flour sticking to the dough from shaping.  I think I might have over baked some pies by several seconds.  Most seemed to take 60-90 seconds to bake, the last pie perhaps a touch longer as the oven was cooling, but that looked a bit overdone also.  Seemed to me that there is too much scorching of the dough/crust esp on the bottom?  Do I need a perforated peel?

Take a look at the pics and let me know what pointers or suggestions you have!

I had so many pies that I had to call neighbors over to help eat!

Thanks!

TD