Author Topic: An observation: Neo-politan vs Neapolitan  (Read 6093 times)

Offline italdream

Re: An observation: Neo-politan vs Neapolitan
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »
Like 6 years.  Makes a lot more sense now. 

I really don't think what I'm saying is that far out there.   Give a life long Bud light drinker an Belgian Sour Ale.  Give somebody who drinks Boones Farm a bottle of dry red table wine.  Give the typical american a Neapolitan pizza.  I think all three lead to similar results.  The new product is too far a deviation from their expected norm.  The new product is therefore defective.  I know it's the same with the people I associate with because I live it, lol.  Show the typical middle class blue collar Detroiter a Neapolitan pizza and you will hear "It's too small", "it's too thin", "it's burnt", "where's the cheese" and my personal favorite "it's thin so it must be crispy".  Show them the price of one and they will say "I can get 3 hot and ready's for that and eat for a week".

Pizza is so ingrained in us there is a prototype that is expected.  We expect a blanket of bubbling cheese over the entire surface.  We expect a golden brown finish.  We expect slices of some form that we can pick up and eat with our hands.  Neapolitan pizza is none of these things.  Going in blind a person may judge it for what it is and really enjoy it without any education.  My point is many people don't go in blind.  They go in AFTER having experienced non-neapolitan pizzas that are being called neapolitan....pizzas that are eaten in slices and aren't "burnt".  Because it conforms to their prototype this is correct to them, and when they come across the real deal IT is defective because it does not conform AND it is not like the other "Neapolitan" pizza that does conform.  This isn't purely speculation.  I've watched it play out locally as I've already mentioned.       

I have only given a cursory glance at this thread and I am not entirely sure what the point really is. However, I want to throw in a couple of personal anecdotes that support this last post.

1. Years ago, for the first time I took my wife's family (american, non-Italian but very "traveled" internationally) in Naples at Da Michele. We waited over an hour, get in, sit tight in the small tables, wait a little more. Pies finally arrive and I was in pizza paradise as usual. I asked them, how is it then? they said "very good" but I could see on their face the look of Paulie Walnuts when in the Sopranos' episode in Naples, he asked, very offended, "but where is the gravy?". They literally never tried any of my home NP-style pizza experiments and it's been a long time that I experiment at home. I invited them several times for pizza, they just politely decline. BTW most friends of mine love NP style and can't wait to come over for pizza. Lesson: some Americans will just never like NP style pizza.

2. First time in grad school in the States, professor asks us to introduce ourselves. "I am so and so and I am from Naples, IT, the place where pizza was invented". A very upset New Jerseyan (no offense here, just recounting) from the other side of the classroom, shouts "what you are talking about, pizza was invented in NY?". I felt that I had profaned the U.S. flag or something like that. Lesson, for years, I have never claimed in front of strangers that Naples is where pizza was invented. I usually just look at them with a mix of sympathy and condescension, when they tell me how much they like the next pizza joint around the corner.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:17:58 PM by italdream »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
I don't think I've ever met anyone named so and so before. Is that a common name in Naples?

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline italdream

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
I don't think I've ever met anyone named so and so before. Is that a common name in Naples?

Sorry.  :'(  :'( the actual quote was "Prof., I am italdream from Italy ....". And that was the last I saw of grad school.

pizzapan