Author Topic: Carbs in NP pie  (Read 1173 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Carbs in NP pie
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
Does anyone know the net carbohydrate content in a traditionally made(such as Craig's)Margarita pie? Thanks!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline derricktung

Re: Carbs in NP pie
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
Hmm.. not much research out there yet it seems...

http://nourish-nyc.blogspot.com/2009/11/education-in-pizzathat-wont-blow-your.html

If I can ever take my hobby to opening a restaurant, I'll likely get a lab to analyze our pies for nutritional content.  You may have a long wait.

Why are you asking?  Are you on a carb restricted diet?

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
It's about 92g of carbs per cup of flour. I doubt if any of the other ingredients have any appreciable amount of carbs. YMMV
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

http://nourish-nyc.blogspot.com/2009/11/education-in-pizzathat-wont-blow-your.html

If I can ever take my hobby to opening a restaurant, I'll likely get a lab to analyze our pies for nutritional content.  You may have a long wait.

Yep, giving Atkins a go.
Actually, the cheese and tomato sauce are no problem so all I really need to know is carb content in Caputo flour and the amount of flour typically used in a NP pie. I'm thinking I may end up being able to eat about half a pie once I'm past this induction stage...that would be great!  :drool:

Oooops, bumped heads there Kevin. Thank you for the info, appreciate.  :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
Does anyone know the net carbohydrate content in a traditionally made(such as Craig's)Margarita pie? Thanks!
Bob,

Kevin is essentially right. The bulk of the carbohydrates is in the flour. There is also a small amount of carbohydrates in the tomatoes, and an even smaller amount of carbohydrates in the cheese.

If we take Craig's 250-gram dough ball for a 13" pizza, as described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202047.html#msg202047, and assuming that the flour is Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, and the percents of ingredients that Craig uses for his 250-gram dough ball are as he described, I calculate the carbohydrate count for the flour alone to be about 111.6 grams. That number includes my estimate of the carbohydrates in Craig's Ischia culture.

If we assume about 1/2-cup of Cento tomatoes (Italian Style), a bit of sugar for the sauce, and a couple of ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese, the total carbohydrate count by my calculation would be about 111.6 (flour) + 4 (Cento) + 0.43 (sugar) + 2 (fresh mozzarella) = 118.03 grams. I estimated the amounts of tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese since I do not recall that Craig has weighed those ingredients for his Margherita pizzas. If Craig drizzles some olive or other oil on the pizza, that won't affect the carbohydrate count since the oils have zero carbohydrates. There are also zero carbohydates for the fresh basil.

If you decide that you want to go with the General Mills version of the 00 flour, the total carbohydrate count by my estimate rises to 120.03 grams. So, if reducing your carbs is your objective, you will save about 2 grams of carbs by going with the Caputo dough. Every little bit helps.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:17:57 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »

The only way you could accurately serve a pizza to the customer is if you weighed every single item placed on the pizza and made the dough with the exact same measurements every time.

The dough part would be unpredictable because you will have to change little things here and there depending on the weather and the weighing every topping from the base sauce and cheese to everything else will take time and make service slower.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Yep, giving Atkins a go.
Actually, the cheese and tomato sauce are no problem so all I really need to know is carb content in Caputo flour and the amount of flour typically used in a NP pie. I'm thinking I may end up being able to eat about half a pie once I'm past this induction stage...that would be great!  :drool:

Oooops, bumped heads there Kevin. Thank you for the info, appreciate.  :chef:

Chicago Bob,

Good luck with Atkins!  I've been through a few different 'diets' including South Beach, Belly Fat Cure, and Paleo, with Belly Fat Cure being the most lenient in terms of what you eat, focusing only on sugar and carb intake.  (We were eating chicken nuggets from McD's on this diet, and losing belly fat, but ultimately decided we wanted to go with less processed foods, so thus paleo). 

Given Pete's analysis, you could actually eat a whole TXCraig pizza each day, and still be within range of the Belly Fat Cure (120 gram carb limit, 5 gram sugar limit).

Just some thoughts... =)

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
The only way you could accurately serve a pizza to the customer is if you weighed every single item placed on the pizza and made the dough with the exact same measurements every time.

The dough part would be unpredictable because you will have to change little things here and there depending on the weather and the weighing every topping from the base sauce and cheese to everything else will take time and make service slower.

Brick,
Thanks for the insight.  So now I have to ask, how does the big chain places do it?  Are they separated in portion sizes?  I'm sure they're not weighing every set of ingredients out all the time... are they?  (Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Caesars, etc.)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »

I think you can get away with using averages - even in USDA or FDA regulated environments - let alone in an unregulated situation as is the case with most restaurants.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »
I think you can get away with using averages - even in USDA or FDA regulated environments - let alone in an unregulated situation as is the case with most restaurants.

Correct.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »
Brick,
Thanks for the insight.  So now I have to ask, how does the big chain places do it?  Are they separated in portion sizes?  I'm sure they're not weighing every set of ingredients out all the time... are they?  (Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Caesars, etc.)

I don't know about others(but they are probably the same) but Domino's has measuring cups for cheese and they are strict about how much sauce you use with the sauce ladle. Also I think from what I remember a friend who worked there told me the lines that they prep the pizzas on are scales. But I didn't get how they would pull that off. I'm assuming it was more so for food costs than for the nutritional info they have.

You could but from experience of weighing literally everything I have consumed in the last year and a half little measurement differences can make a difference in fats/carbs/protein.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »

Derrick,

Many of the big chains have third-party software that they use in-house with nutrition information from the suppliers of all of the ingredients that go into their pizzas. The other inputs used with the software are the recipes themselves including the quantities of the ingredients called for in the recipes. Smaller companies usually go to outside labs that specialize in creating the Nutrition Facts based on the same types of information as mentioned above. The FDA understands that the actual weights of baked pizzas can vary because of the way that pizzas are assembled and also because the ingredients that go into a pizza can change with time and suppliers, so they came up with the "20% rule". That allows pizza operators to be off by 20% on either side of the weights stated in the Nutrition Facts without running afoul of the FDA regulations.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
I don't know about others(but they are probably the same) but Domino's has measuring cups for cheese and they are strict about how much sauce you use with the sauce ladle. Also I think from what I remember a friend who worked there told me the lines that they prep the pizzas on are scales. But I didn't get how they would pull that off. I'm assuming it was more so for food costs than for the nutritional info they have.
David,

The reason for weighing ingredients is to save money, not to be precise with the Nutrition Facts which, as I noted in my last post, can be off by quite a bit and not get into trouble. The big killer costwise is free throwing cheese. For that reason, many of the big chains use portioning cups such as shown at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portion-Control-Kit-22-Measuring-Cups-/360159221821?GUID=1d4b71961280a0e202972127ff0900eb&crlp=1_263602_263622&rvr_id=&UA=WXI8&ff4=263602_263622&itemid=360159221821&nma=true&si=5acPLhLhJ6e0o97OzJ60DMgcwvI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_4513wt_1083 . The chains typically have charts to show the workers on the assembly line which cups and amounts of cheese to use to make each type and size of pizza. The same goes for the devices they use for the sauce.

Some pizzerias use special scales to do all of the weighing on the scales. The scales can have foot-operated devices (such as pedals) or optical systems to do the tare functions between application of the various items onto the pizza. Home Run Inn in Chicago uses a version of this latter method, as can be seen at around 3:04 of the YouTube video at .

Peter

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
Yep, giving Atkins a go.

Hey Bob,

I recommend staying away from any and all diets in the classic sense of the word, especially commercial ones. I found, and have used, dozens of techniques employed by body builders and fitness models with permanent success. There are no tricks. It's just science at work and learning how to use it to your advantage. Seven years ago I lost 20 lbs and, you can probably tell by what I look like in my videos, it never came back...and I'm 45 now. I eat pizza when I want and nothing is off limits, however I do eat with better awareness than I used to. What I do is not a diet, it's a simple lifestyle where what I do to keep fit comes naturally, rather than becoming a chore or a burden. If you'd like some more info, let me know. I can help you get started on something that can be more permanent, stress-free(meaning restriction-free), healthy and relatively easy to do.

Damn! I sound like a bloody salesman!! But I'm not selling anything. Hahaha!

BTW Bob, I cooked you up a nice Margherita this evening which has 130 grams of carbohydrates(flour and tomato)...

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
You may not be a salesman, but you give a good pitch... I'm quite curious now.

Beautiful pizza's as usual!

Hey Bob,

I recommend staying away from any and all diets in the classic sense of the word, especially commercial ones. I found, and have used, dozens of techniques employed by body builders and fitness models with permanent success. There are no tricks. It's just science at work and learning how to use it to your advantage. Seven years ago I lost 20 lbs and, you can probably tell by what I look like in my videos, it never came back...and I'm 45 now. I eat pizza when I want and nothing is off limits, however I do eat with better awareness than I used to. What I do is not a diet, it's a simple lifestyle where what I do to keep fit comes naturally, rather than becoming a chore or a burden. If you'd like some more info, let me know. I can help you get started on something that can be more permanent, stress-free(meaning restriction-free), healthy and relatively easy to do.

Damn! I sound like a bloody salesman!! But I'm not selling anything. Hahaha!

BTW Bob, I cooked you up a nice Margherita this evening which has 130 grams of carbohydrates(flour and tomato)...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:15:32 AM by JD »
Josh

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Thank you Fidel, you're very kind.
I used to do body building a very long time(and many pounds) ago. And I do intend to get back to that lifestyle. I have about 80 pounds to lose and wanted to get it kick started in a big way so I have chosen the low carb deal(I'm also type 2 diabetic and have hypertension). I used to consume around 500 carbs a day; which included 8-12 beers daily. I've quit the beer and am eating about 20 carbs a day and am finally doing my diabetic recommended 4-5 small meals a day rather than drink beer all day and just one meal(usually a whole pizza :)) late at night just before bed. I'm having fun learning all about the different low carb foods and am now eating better, more varied great foods/meals than ever in my life. It's not a chore at all. With loosing 12 lbs. my first week and getting this sugar out of me it is absolutely unbelievable how good I finally feel once again and all of my twice a day blood sugar and blood pressure monitored test result numbers have taken a complete about face. My mental attitude has completely changed too.

I think it won't be long before I can actually begin jogging and hit the weight pile. Maybe then I can enjoy pizzas once again such as your Margarita(btw,the video you posted won't work >:( ). I do have a boatload of low carb items due today and includes many new-fangled baking products so maybe I'll get that pizza pie sooner than later.  :chef:
Thanks for your concern and willingness to share and help Fidel. Glad to know I can call upon you if I need assistance, appreciate bruddah!

Bob

Hey Fidel...the vid works now; thanks man!  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:34:09 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
Thank you Fidel, you're very kind.
I used to do body building a very long time(and many pounds) ago. And I do intend to get back to that lifestyle. I have about 80 pounds to lose and wanted to get it kick started in a big way so I have chosen the low carb deal(I'm also type 2 diabetic and have hypertension). I used to consume around 500 carbs a day; which included 8-12 beers daily. I've quit the beer and am eating about 20 carbs a day and am finally doing my diabetic recommended 4-5 small meals a day rather than drink beer all day and just one meal(usually a whole pizza :)) late at night just before bed. I'm having fun learning all about the different low carb foods and am now eating better, more varied great foods/meals than ever in my life. It's not a chore at all. With loosing 12 lbs. my first week and getting this sugar out of me it is absolutely unbelievable how good I finally feel once again and all of my twice a day blood sugar and blood pressure monitored test result numbers have taken a complete about face. My mental attitude has completely changed too.

I think it won't be long before I can actually begin jogging and hit the weight pile. Maybe then I can enjoy pizzas once again such as your Margarita(btw,the video you posted won't work >:( ). I do have a boatload of low carb items due today and includes many new-fangled baking products so maybe I'll get that pizza pie sooner than later.  :chef:
Thanks for your concern and willingness to share and help Fidel. Glad to know I can call upon you if I need assistance, appreciate bruddah!

Bob

Hey Fidel...the vid works now; thanks man!  :)

Three things you said in your post that tell me you'll be just fine...

"4-5 meals a day", "having fun" and "No chore at all".

If more people could grasp those three concepts, it would go a long way towards getting Americans more fit and healthy.

As you are probably aware, being that you were into body building at one time, it's a good idea to increase your calorie intake after every three days of lower calories. 3 days low, 1 day high, and on the high day, enjoy your favorite high calorie stuff...because it's necessary for fat loss.

Oh, I think the video has finished processing and should be available in HD(which is how all pizza videos should be viewed!).  :)

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »
You may not be a salesman, but you give a good pitch... I'm quite curious now.

Beautiful pizza's as usual!

Thank you, JD!!  :)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
Three things you said in your post that tell me you'll be just fine...

"4-5 meals a day", "having fun" and "No chore at all".

If more people could grasp those three concepts, it would go a long way towards getting Americans more fit and healthy.

As you are probably aware, being that you were into body building at one time, it's a good idea to increase your calorie intake after every three days of lower calories. 3 days low, 1 day high, and on the high day, enjoy your favorite high calorie stuff...because it's necessary for fat loss.

Oh, I think the video has finished processing and should be available in HD(which is how all pizza videos should be viewed!).  :)
Thanks Fidel,
I saw on another thread that you just found out about the Blackstone grill. There is also another BS "Challenge" thread....for anyone in any oven to recreate the look of a Craig pie wins a free BS oven from Mr. Chau!
There have been a couple really decent pies posted over there and I think it would be fun if you would include that latest beauty of yours to show that there is yet another person out there that is knock'in on the door; you are getting real close....I think your pie was most excellent dude!  :chef:

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »
Thanks Fidel,
I saw on another thread that you just found out about the Blackstone grill. There is also another BS "Challenge" thread....for anyone in any oven to recreate the look of a Craig pie wins a free BS oven from Mr. Chau!
There have been a couple really decent pies posted over there and I think it would be fun if you would include that latest beauty of yours to show that there is yet another person out there that is knock'in on the door; you are getting real close....I think your pie was most excellent dude!  :chef:

Thanks for the compliment, Bob! Actually, since finding out about those threads, I am having quite the nice read. Very fun concept! Unfortunately, while I can, and have achieved leoparding that would qualify as in the same neighborhood as one of Craig's pies, that takes a lot of attention to keeping my dough cooler and almost cold before baking. Living in Japan, one constant problem is finding storage space for things. I finally got a second refrigerator, which is unheard of here, and getting and keeping a temp controlled compartment of any kind just for pizza dough is just not possible.

The other hurdle to making a Craig clone, for me anyway, is that the largest sized pie I can(and do) make is 12". Craig's are 13". Visually, that one inch makes a huge difference. My cornice may be the same in basic volume and height, but the overall visual balance is completely different.

In any case, I will drop in that thread and post my video. Fun is fun and it's all for fun, right?! :)