Author Topic: Pizza while camping  (Read 738 times)

Offline Tannerwooden

Pizza while camping
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:01:47 AM »
Hello all,

I'm going camping with family a couple of times this summer, and I'm planning on making pizza with my Uuni 2. This, of course, means taking a cooler of dough in the road. I already have anodized, aluminum, individual proofing trays for this.

My question, if any of you would be gracious enough to lend your expertise and/or opinions, is: what am I missing? It seems to me that this is a much more simple operation than those awe-inspiring members on the forum here who run mobile pizza restaurants. However, it also seems like there are likely potential issues I'm overlooking. We're going to be far enough out that if it goes bad, Dominos is not an option. I would really like to have a succesfull night.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Offline BobC

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza while camping
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
It looks like its designed for making pizza, so you should be "good to go". 

I think I might take known good wood with me if its to places I haven't been.  You never know what they will or won't have available, and there might be some kinds of wood you wouldn't want to use.  People making campfires aren't as picky.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »
It looks as if you should prep your wood in advance in the size sticks you need. Campgrounds do not like people carrying firewood from outside the area because of Emerald Ash Borer disease but completely debarked and inspected sticks should be OK.

I travel in an RV with a refrigerator/freezer so I prepare my dough balls in advance as well and freeze them in Glad plastic containers. The day before I put them in the refrigerator and the day of I take them out three hours before pizza prep. Overnight in the refrigerator thaws them out. Three hours brings them down to room temperature.
Davydd

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
Freezing them sounds like good insurance in any event.  Do all prep at home with pre-measured amounts of cheese, sauce, and ingredients (not individual packages, mind you, just make sure you have enough prepped with a small enough amount left that you do not mind feeding it to the raccoons).

For the amount of wood that oven uses certainly bring it with you, and make sure it is optimal to reduce bulk.

The bottom line is that given the situation, you do not have to make the best pizza ever, the circumstances almost guarantee a memorable bake and appreciative audience.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:40:31 PM »
I think I might take known good wood with me if its to places I haven't been.  You never know what they will or won't have available, and there might be some kinds of wood you wouldn't want to use.  People making campfires aren't as picky.

The Uuni 2 actually runs on BBQ wood pellets, so I'm good there.

I prepare my dough balls in advance as well and freeze them in Glad plastic containers. The day before I put them in the refrigerator and the day of I take them out three hours before pizza prep. Overnight in the refrigerator thaws them out. Three hours brings them down to room temperature.

I know I probably should freeze my dough, but I just....can't. I know I'm a major pizza snob, and I know I'm probably courting disaster, and I'm REALLY grateful for the advice, but I'm going to use fresh dough.

I'm going next weekend. I'm really looking forward to great pizza while camping. I feel like one day we should be looking back and saying things like, "I can't believe they didn't have indoor plumbing!", or, "I can't believe they didn't have fresh, wood fired pizza while camping!"

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
The bottom line is that given the situation, you do not have to make the best pizza ever, the circumstances almost guarantee a memorable bake and appreciative audience.
\

Thanks so much for this comment. This is really great advice that I'm going to have a hard time taking to heart! While I'm nowhere near your level, I take great pride in my pies and am obsessive about the quality.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:30 AM »
Camping trip was last weekend. It exceeded EVERY expectation. Everyone was loving the pies and I couldn't get them out fast enough. Only two fails.

One: I dropped a dough ball in the dirt. Luckily, I made 8, fearing errors. I dropped it because, stupidly, I was trying to toss it, something I nearly never do. I was trying to toss it because...

Two: I balled the dough 2 hours before baking. Took it out of the cooler and left it in proofing trays. The dough was still pretty tight. It worked out fine though. I had my chef brother in law shaping the dough skins and he did an excellent job.

Nearly no pics. I generally leave my phone off while camping. My sister-in-law took these though. Someone had the idea of making a smores pizza. Marshmellows, butter, chocolate, Graham cracker crumbs, and bits of banana. It was REALLY hard to bake right. I squeezed the edge flat and superheated my steel. Then, I put the pie on a screen to keep the bottom from burning. I watched it closely and once the marshmallows started browning, I layed my peel on top of the back heat guard to keep the flames off. It came out perfect. I HIGHLY recommend this flavor combo.

Thanks all, for your help and advice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:22:06 AM by Tannerwooden »

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »
Great stuff Tanner! Knew it'd be fine before you went. Glad everyone enjoyed the trip and the pizzas. Any issues with the uuni itself?

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
Great stuff Tanner! Knew it'd be fine before you went. Glad everyone enjoyed the trip and the pizzas. Any issues with the uuni itself?
No issues with Uuni whatsoever. I did bring my portable, battery powered fan. I figured it wouldn't be very windy at a campsite. I set it on low between pies. This shortened recovery time and left the fire stoked just right during the actual name. The naked were all right around 2-3 minutes.

Overall, I prefer to use the Uuni 2 with less wind. The temp is more consistent and controllable.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »
Someone had the idea of making a smores pizza.
:drool: Looks amazing!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »
Looks like a ton O' fun Tanner! Wish I was there!
Bob

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 12:18:20 AM »
Thanks Bob! If we're ever camping in your area, we'll have to hook up!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:36:20 AM »
Sounds great T!!
Bob