Author Topic: "Real" Tomato Pie  (Read 2007 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
"Real" Tomato Pie
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »
Utica's the home of "tomato pie", or it's one of its homes, and the tomato pies at the Roma Sausage & Deli are my favorite. Brought home 2 this past weekend, one for myself and one for some friends. Thick dough (but not heavy), a very generous covering of a rich, slightly sweet tomato sauce, and a liberal, and I do mean liberal dusting of grated cheese (romano I believe) set these "tomato pies" apart from all others. When in Utica, roam on in to the Roma. You hear that Norma?  >:D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: "Real" Tomato Pie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
No pictures?  ???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
I would love to see a photo too!!!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Unfortunately not, but I'm going back again and I will get some pictures, promise!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »
You hear that Norma?  >:D

Dave,

Lol, do you easily forget that I also had a tomato pie at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21096.msg211948.html#msg211948 with Steve.  :-D 

I also had the tomato pie Bob1 brought for me at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19389.msg189708.html#msg189708 I still have the frozen tomato pie sauce from Bob1 at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19389.msg189714.html#msg189714

It is still up to debate what a tomato pie is though at least for me.  >:D

Norma
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:53:45 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »
Sounds like it might be time for a tomato pie "throwdown"! My money's on Utica! :angel:

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
Norma, I've had Roma's tomato pie three times this past couple of months and last weekends pies were the best yet. I personally like my pizza crispy, and crispy is not a common trait of these tomato pies. I still love the taste and the 'change of pace" tomato pie offers, I especially like how it still eats well even when cold. For whatever reason, this weekends pies were a little more well cooked and crispier than the previous ones I've had, and I really enjoyed them that way. Even today, when i reheated the last of what I had left, it was still a delicious treat. If you are ever in Utica, be sure to stop at Roma, and while you're there, pick up some of their sausage and the iced raisin bread that is staged at the checkout counter! :drool:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Sounds like it might be time for a tomato pie "throwdown"! My money's on Utica! :angel:

Dave,

Lol about a tomato pie "throwdown".   :-D  Although I do like your kind of tomato pies some you have to remember that my taste for tomato pies goes back to Mack's pizza since I was a child and that is a long time ago.   >:D :angel:  I have worked on recreating the tomato pies from way back then for over 3 years. 

Do you know how to make a tomato pie like Utica's, or are you willing to invest that much time to recreate Utica's tomato pie.   :-D  ;D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:39:31 PM »
Norma, I've had Roma's tomato pie three times this past couple of months and last weekends pies were the best yet. I personally like my pizza crispy, and crispy is not a common trait of these tomato pies. I still love the taste and the 'change of pace" tomato pie offers, I especially like how it still eats well even when cold. For whatever reason, this weekends pies were a little more well cooked and crispier than the previous ones I've had, and I really enjoyed them that way. Even today, when i reheated the last of what I had left, it was still a delicious treat. If you are ever in Utica, be sure to stop at Roma, and while you're there, pick up some of their sausage and the iced raisin bread that is staged at the checkout counter! :drool:

Dave,

I also like the bottom crust of a pizza crispy and know from the two kinds of tomato pies I posted about neither of them were crispy on the bottom crusts.  I do like how they eat cold though.  I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the more cripsy bottom crusts on your recent weekends pies.  If I am ever in Utica I will make sure I stop at Roma's and try their tomato pies.  The sausage and ice raisin bread also sounds delicious.  8)

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:48:39 AM »
Norma, I've tried a couple of attempts at making my own tomato pies, I can come close to Roma's but haven't exactly duplicated it. I'm still a NY style fan at heart, so duplicating the tomato pie doesn't drive me. I kind of just enjoy the change of pace it offers when I do get there to have some. I have however came as close as possible to duplicating their iced raisin bread. You've probably seen pictures of it on Facebook.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »
I really enjoy tomato pie.  If I ever get up or pass by I will have to check it out.  I am fortunate that I have two places by me that make tomato pie.  I am looking forward to seeing what Roma's looks like.

Norma
I consider tomato pie something that is meant to be eaten cold with a small amount of dry grated cheese for flavor.  Similar to eating  bread with flavored oil.  I also have three pizza parlors in the area that serve the Mack and Manco type pies and they call it a red pie, or red top pie because they put the cheese on the bottom.  Some make swirls and parts have either cheese or sauce with a slight overlap of each.  When I make tomato pie I use a whole can of 6 in 1 (1lb 12oz) for a 12"x 18" pan.  When cooked for 15 to 20 minutes the tomato boils off and gets thick and rich.  This replicates one place by me, however some use less making it more like a red focaccia.

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »

I have however came as close as possible to duplicating their iced raisin bread. You've probably seen pictures of it on Facebook.

Dave,

I have seen your photos of the iced raisin bread on facebook.  You did a great job on duplicating their raisin bread.   :chef:

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

When I make tomato pie I use a whole can of 6 in 1 (1lb 12oz) for a 12"x 18" pan.  When cooked for 15 to 20 minutes the tomato boils off and gets thick and rich.  This replicates one place by me, however some use less making it more like a red focaccia.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for posting what you do when you make tomato pies. 

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
Bob, a whole can of tomatoes probably isn't too far out of Roma's ball park, there surely is a lot of tomato topping on their pies. I can't guarantee it, but I would say they use Cora crushed tomatoes , as that is a brand popular (and distributed from) in Utica and about the only brand I see on the shelves in their shop. What temperature do you bake at, and I assume you must pan them. I'd guess 15-20 minutes is also in the ball park.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
Dave,
I use a blue steel pan similar to the Victory Pig thread and bake at 375.  You can really see the steam coming off of it when you pull it out.  It is still a bit runny while hot but by the time it cools it sets up pretty good.  I find it more tasty after it cools.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Thank you for those pictures @dhorst, the only ones I have are on my phone, they look like crap and I can't get them to load up on here.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
Dave,
My local place seems very close in style.  I wonder how the tastes differ?  They finally opened a branch 5 minutes from house and right next to the gym I go to.  I usually pick up a quarter pie once or twice a week.  From the time they opened about 5 months ago they have sold a ton of them.  I used to go to the original store back in the day and people would be lined up to get them around the Holidays or special occasions.  If you did not order one they would be sold out. 

I found that when trying to replicate the taste of my place I add 1 to 2tbs of Pecorino to the cold sauce before application.  The cheese seems to bring the spices together well.  I have used 6 in 1 and the Stanislaus equivalent with good results.  They are a both a little different but both very good.

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
Those look delicious! I'll have to add them to my wish list. So many pies...

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
@Bob1, the pies look very similar, I doubt there's much of a difference in taste. I think Roma uses more cheese, I can't say for sure if it's added before or after the bake. I would guess that the dough is nothing too out of the ordinary, the crumb is usually fairly tight, which leads me to believe it's a basic mid range hydration dough made with standard yeast and probably ap flour. The crust is thick, I'd say a bit thicker than your pictures, but it remains fairly light.