Author Topic: Tonight's pies.  (Read 705 times)

Offline stegosaurus!

Tonight's pies.
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
I got some all trumps yesterday and tonight I made a couple pies. 18" Lehmann formulation with a dough ball weight of 27oz so right at about .1 TF.

I made one plain cheese and the other half cheese and half, what I have dubbed "pizza and wings" I ripped up a bunch of buffalo wings, put it on a normally sauced pie, then drizzled the greasy, chickeny sauce on top. Amazing. Way better than buffalo chicken pizza. It reminds me of dipping my slices in the greasy wing container as a kid :-[

On the slice pics I know they look a little thick at the top, but it was really only those two slices which shared a nice bubble. Poor and uneven stretching on my part lol

Forgot to get pics before we ripped into this one lol.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:54:23 AM by stegosaurus! »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Tonight's pies.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
I've been wanting to try that with the wing sauce.  Looks great!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
Nice looking pie! Are you putting the screen on a stone or on the oven rack?
Think that I will make a couple dough balls tonight with All Trumps.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
Temp and bake time?

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »
Temp and bake time?
I've got a bottom heat gas oven. I set it to 550 and it was preheated for probably an hour 45 (my friends were a little late) I use two racks of quarry tiles. The "deck" rack is on the second from bottom level and the "ceiling" rack is on the second from top.

I sauce the skin and put it in for about a minute, then take it off the screen to deck it. I cook it for another 3ish minutes, then put the cheese on (I don't like browned cheese). Cook it for a min, or two, then flip on the top broiler to high for a minute or less to get the cheese bubbling and just about to brown. It's between 5-7 mins. I honestly don't time anything, so I can only guess at times. I just sit there and stare at it ha.

What I'm doing works though. The dough isn't undercooked anywhere and when you fold it you hear some crackling but no visible cracks appear. Just the way I like it. I honestly couldn't be much happier. It's surprising it only took me a handful of pies to get these out just the way I want 'em. They may not be perfect for everyone, but they're exactly like the pie I grew up eating. I can't wait until I get to the point where I surpass my "desired" outcome! :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:51:44 PM by stegosaurus! »

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
Nice looking pie! Are you putting the screen on a stone or on the oven rack?
Think that I will make a couple dough balls tonight with All Trumps.

Mark
I put it on my tiles but I remove it as soon as I can. The all trumps was amazing. Way better than my KABF.

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
I've been wanting to try that with the wing sauce.  Looks great!
it's tasty! I grew up always getting pizza and wings. You couldn't get one without the other (maybe because I was between Buffalo and NYC? Because I don't notice that anywhere else). I used to always dip my slice in the wing sauce/grease. Then my local pizzeria started serving cups of wing sauce, but it just wasn't the same because there was no grease I guess. Buffalo chicken pizza got big, but I hated that most people used chunks of chicken breast and only having buffalo sauce was a little much in my opinion so I spawned this idea.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:58 PM »
Sounds like you have hit on YOUR perfect pie. Congrats.

Mark

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:52:33 PM »
Sounds like you have hit on YOUR perfect pie. Congrats.

Mark
now Idk if that will ever happen! Lol. And I'm sure my "perfect" will be an in flux thing. I'm satisfied and the pies are enjoyable, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. We are all here because we love pizza. I won't settle with the results from my first couple from scratch pies!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
We are all here because we love pizza. I won't settle with the results from my first couple from scratch pies!

Rock on!

pizzapan