Author Topic: 5 Stagioni Red Bag  (Read 1734 times)

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
5 Stagioni Red Bag
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:34 AM »
Results today of a really hot oven with a long fermentation time. What do you guys think?

Le 5 Stagioni Red bag flour
60% hydration
1 gram of fresh yeast per kg
24 hrs bulk fermentation at room temp of 18 C
24 hrs balled at same room temp
Oven about 400 C fired up about 6 hrs before use.

Second pic was the first out of oven. maybe needed more cooking
Got better as time went on

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
Re: 5 Stagioni Red Bag
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »
What do you guys think?

I think the pie in the first pic (it's also the pie in the video, right) is one of the finest looking ever posted to this forum. Bravissimo!

Got to love 24+24 at 64.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
I've been staring at that pie at the end of the video, and based on my personal vision of the perfect Neapolitan pizza, I don't know what you could of done to make it look any better. I don't know what it tasted like, but IMHO, it's about as close to perfect visually as I've ever seen here or at any restaurant. Most people don't realize how difficult it is to get even loeparding like that over the entire arc of the cornicione. The quantity and wetness of the sauce looks ideal. The toppings are strikingly artistic. If I had to find fault with it, I might say it needed a couple more small bits of cheese, but that would be about it.

What was the dough temperature when you baked it? How long was the bake? If you have any close up camera pictures of the pie, please post them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
That first pizza looks awesome. Well done.

Offline WaterDog

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
 ^^^ Bravo!  Looks amazing. How did it taste?

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:24:50 PM »
I think the pie in the first pic (it's also the pie in the video, right) is one of the finest looking ever posted to this forum. Bravissimo!

Got to love 24+24 at 64.  ;D

Means a great deal coming from you. Thanks.  Ive learn't lots from your posts and this forum. Thank you community.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
I've been staring at that pie at the end of the video, and based on my personal vision of the perfect Neapolitan pizza, I don't know what you could of done to make it look any better. I don't know what it tasted like, but IMHO, it's about as close to perfect visually as I've ever seen here or at any restaurant. Most people don't realize how difficult it is to get even loeparding like that over the entire arc of the cornicione. The quantity and wetness of the sauce looks ideal. The toppings are strikingly artistic. If I had to find fault with it, I might say it needed a couple more small bits of cheese, but that would be about it.

What was the dough temperature when you baked it? How long was the bake? If you have any close up camera pictures of the pie, please post them.

The pie i made was for my son. He doesn't like buffalo mozz so i put fior d'latte , but only a little, what he asked for. My kids like the cherry tomatoes with their pies as well.
Craig the oven flame was intense as you may have noticed. The floor was possibly 400C baked for 40 sec. Very fast.
I notice with my oven when the flame is not intense i wont get the same leoparding with the pie . This pie was soft yet crunchy at the same time. it was perfect. All 16 pies i bakes were the same apart for the first which needed more time to cook.
I think the room temp fermentation with this particular time was the best dough ive made so far. The dough was soft but still controllable to slap, not slack at all. Normally i would fridge it in bulk for 24hrs and leave in balls for a further 8 to 16hrs at room temp, but they have not looked the same as these pies ever. good but not like these.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
That first pizza looks awesome. Well done.

Thank you. it was soft yet crunchy. really delicious! I used De Cecco San Marzano tomatoes. I love the sauce. Oh my God how good is it on its own.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »
Thank you. it was soft yet crunchy. really delicious! I used De Cecco San Marzano tomatoes. I love the sauce. Oh my God how good is it on its own.

Have you had the De Cecco tomatoes for a while? I haven't seen a can in the stores for a long time. I thought they stopped making them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:42:45 PM »
A close up shot. Too Busy eating to take more. Next time i will be more thorough.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »
Have you had the De Cecco tomatoes for a while? I haven't seen a can in the stores for a long time. I thought they stopped making them.

In Melbourne we have alot of deli's that stock them. readily available
These are their cans

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
In Melbourne we have alot of deli's that stock them. readily available
These are their cans

Very different from the cans I used to get here. They were always one of my favorites.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
desert pizza
Nutella, strawberries, bananna and blobs of Mascapone chesse topped with fine icing sugar.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:55:43 PM »
Very different from the cans I used to get here. They were always one of my favorites.

Its the same here when it comes to Caputo flour. Hard to get. I am lucky to have a distributor who operates nearby who has exclusive right to sell Le 5 Stagioni in Australia.
But I finally found a store that will be selling Caputo soon.
Craig , you have used both flours right ? Could you tell me the difference between the two?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »
I used the 5 Stagioni Neapolitan. I'm not sure if that is the one you are referring to or not. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't make a pizza I liked with it. The only flours I've ever tried that I like in the WFO are Caputo Pizzeria and the new GM Neapolitan.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »
I used the 5 Stagioni Neapolitan. I'm not sure if that is the one you are referring to or not. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't make a pizza I liked with it. The only flours I've ever tried that I like in the WFO are Caputo Pizzeria and the new GM Neapolitan.

Interesting and surprised ! I cant wait to get my hands on some then.
Apparently Le 5 Stagioni is on par with Caputo. Both are used with AVPN associates. Salvatore Santucci who is a instructor at the courses held in Naples uses it in his pizzeria.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 12:16:39 AM »
Interesting and surprised ! I cant wait to get my hands on some then.
Apparently Le 5 Stagioni is on par with Caputo. Both are used with AVPN associates. Salvatore Santucci who is a instructor at the courses held in Naples uses it in his pizzeria.

I know several people who will tell you 5 Stagioni Neapolitan is their favorite flour, and I know at least one other who feels the same way I do about it. I can't explain it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
If I could make pies like yours with it, I'd be using it. It's really easy for me to get.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »
I'm not 100% certain of this, but I believe Stagioni has the market share in Naples (and/or possibly Italy).  It's only in the U.S. where Caputo is dominant.

pizzapan