Author Topic: Father's Day bake  (Read 349 times)

Offline breffni

Father's Day bake
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
First bake of the year, and first since the fall, so was pleased that my mediocre skills produced a good looking Margherita right off the bat. Artistic quality then dwindled as the drinking progressed, but all tasted great!

Craig’s method, 61%/2.8%/2.2% Ischia, 24x24 @ 62F then out for a few hours 75-80F, outstanding dough. Forno Bravo Andiamo oven 900-1000F with fast bakes early, 7-800F later easily added another 30+ seconds bake time.

A few highlights and topping combos:
Margherita w/ Aleppo and Chili Oil; Clam and Bacon; Pesto w/ Chicken before & after; ‘Nduja mixed with Ricotta topped with diced Persimmon; White pie (homemade ricotta, a little heavy cream & oregano) with zucchini, yellow squash @ purple fingerling potato; Spanish meats and chili oil; lower temp Margherita; Dessert Ring of Nutella with Ricotta & banana, topped with powdered sugar, was a hit.

Any advice for keeping the cornice properly formed would be greatly appreciated. As the first and last pies were Margherita and probably aesthetically best despite 200F bake temp difference, perhaps too heavily topping the pies lead to inconsistency? Or perhaps ruining it when stretching the dough after initial formation, or when loading?

Offline breffni

Re: Father's Day bake
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
Looks like you had a lot of mouths to feed, but June is your 1st bake this year? ??? :o :'(

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline breffni

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
yeah, never-ending Northeast winter, too busy spring with graduations and related events around the house. Felt good to make more pizzas than needed yesterday!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
Looks delicious Breffni!  Especially the first one. 

Offline breffni

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »
Thanks! getting there...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »
Nice. I like the look of the Margherita a lot. I've done a good bit of research on the correlation between drinking and pizza aesthetics, and I agree with your conclusion.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BKLEBS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
I believe it is a curve just like throwing darts or playing pool. You get slightly better as you relax and them before you know it you are getting sloppy and forgetting stuff :-/

pizzapan