Author Topic: Totonno's Coney Island  (Read 466 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Totonno's Coney Island
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:02:22 AM »
Interesting enough when I did a search for Totonno's here I didn't see any threads dedicated to this place.  I see mentions of Totonno's in other threads that were not just about Totonno's.  I would think this one would have had a thread of it's own.

Can any of you tell me how you like it and what's your experience with it and how it compares to other coal fired NY pizza places?

I saw it on the Travel Channel and have been looking at videos on YouTube about it so I was curious how you like it.  Be interesting to hear Scott talk, Peter, Norma, and others who may have been to it.

Thanks

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Totonno's Coney Island
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:44:42 AM »
James,

You might want to look on the thread about Chau coming to NYC to see what members thought of Totonno's.  I posted some photos at Totonno's like the ones at Reply 241 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175818#msg175818 

I didn't care for Totonno's pizza but that was the only time I ate a Totonno's pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »
I ate there with Norma, and I agree it was not very good.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
Thanks Norma and Craig. What about it was not good?  Just not good overall or was it the cheese used, sauce, dough, maybe the whole thing?

It looks good but if it doesn't taste good then it's not worth it.

Do you two like Grimaldi's?  I have a chance to eat at Grimaldi's because they opened one out here in So Cal but that's far from New York and the home base so it might have lost some of the quality possibly.

Thanks

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
There was nothing good about it. I think it was hotter in the restaurant than in the oven.

When I went to Grimaldi's under the bridge, I thought it was good. I have not been to the new location. The location I've been to here in Houston is OK at best. I'd take Juliana's (in the old Grimaldi's location under the bridge) over Grimaldi's any day (full disclosure - I'm friends with one of the Juliana's owners).
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
There was nothing good about it. I think it was hotter in the restaurant than in the oven.

I agree with Craig.  I have never been to Grimaldi's.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the info both of you. Now this explains why there are no dedicated threads to this place but only mentions of it in other threads. The pizzas look mighty fine but this just proves you can't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case judge a pizza by it's pictures.

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
Thanks for the info both of you. Now this explains why there are no dedicated threads to this place but only mentions of it in other threads. The pizzas look mighty fine but this just proves you can't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case judge a pizza by it's pictures.

I have some older family members that spoke fondly of the Coney Island Totonno's as they remembered it from many, many years ago, but I haven't personally visited that location.  I tried the Manhattan location once based on their comments and felt it wasn't the best I've had in that genre.  I've been to the Brooklyn and Manhattan Grimaldi's and did like those very much.  For coal oven pizza, I am still a fan of John's on Bleecker, especially when you catch it on a good day. 
Jeff

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »
I would rank them 3. Totonno's the worst, would not go back
                           2. John's on Bleeker, fair, no need to go back
                           1. Grimaldi's inconsistent but better than the other two.
FWIW I would also skip Lombardi's.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »
I would rank them 3. Totonno's the worst, would not go back
                           2. John's on Bleeker, fair, no need to go back
                           1. Grimaldi's inconsistent but better than the other two.
FWIW I would also skip Lombardi's.

Sounds like the "famous" places are not so good.

Which places in NY for coal pizza would you recommend?

Thanks

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
Sounds like the "famous" places are not so good.

Which places in NY for coal pizza would you recommend?

Thanks

There are many coal ovens around NYC like Luzzo's(First Ave), Arturo's(Houston St), and Angelo's(57th St) that I would have to try before I could crown a winner.
Of course this is so personal as what may be great to me is puke to someone else.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
Totonno's Coney Island
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:31:37 AM »
Totonos was very good., IMHO. Been 15 years or so since I ate there.  But I enjoyed it quite a bit when I lived up that way.
That said, if you are baking your own world class pies, few places will compare as well.

Offline dhs

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
I definitely fall into the camp of liking Totonno's. I did not go the day of the NY trip Norma and Craig went, and recall being mystified by how many folks found it subpar that day. I would say, with the few exceptions when it has been noticeably off, I find it to be one of the most satisfying pizzas in NYC. Being close to my house helps as well.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
I'm glad somebody else didn't love Totonno's.  I went once several years ago, chatted with the owner (now I believe deceased) who was behind the counter.  He gave me a spoonful of sauce to taste out of a pot, which surprised me a little (not just straight tomatoes) and it was fine but not amazing.  The crust was kind of leaden.  I am from NY/NJ, and I value char and chew.  This was just kind of hard.  I've had Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, Sally's, Pepe's, Luna Pizza in Hartford, and lots of other coal-fired pies.  This wasn't one of the more memorable ones.  Maybe I just hit them on a bad day, but it was a real letdown.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline pdog

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:37:29 PM »
I think it was better before the fire - Overall though I like their pizza.  I am surprised by Norma's pictures - They look completely different from the pies I received during my last visit(been a few years though). 

Perhaps the quality has changed since my last visit in the past.

I will try next time I am in Brooklyn. I moved recently and now I live 20 minutes outside of NYC - Pizza paradise.  Only down side is I have not been making many pies in the last 4-5 months.  Too busy trying all the new locals places. 

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 09:38:17 PM »
Yeah I think we need a new review!  :)
Jeff

pizzapan