Author Topic: Totally Different Pizza from the same dough  (Read 1643 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Totally Different Pizza from the same dough
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:16:46 AM »
This pizza was made with one of the same dough balls I use for the tomato pies on my Tomato Pie thread at Reply 116 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg264856.html#msg264856   I opened the dough ball differently and used leftover toppings I had from when I used them on my first pizza on sourdough experiment on my BBQ mod at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26311.0.html  The other different dressings I used on this pizza was Parmigiano-Reggiano after the pizza was baked, Diana's Aleppo Pepper and a drizzle of olive oil before the bake. 

I think it is interesting that when the one of the same dough balls from the same batch of dough is used and then opened differently more oven spring is achieved and the pizza with different toppings tastes altogether different.  This pizza wasn't baked at a high temperature.  The flour was All Trumps.

I didn't have enough of the fresh mozzarella leftover to use though.  Diana's Aleppo pepper was really good on this pizza.

None of the other pizzas made yesterday with the same dough balls looked anything like this pizza. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Totally Different Pizza from the same dough
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »
Norma

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
Looks so tasty Norma, your pies always been my favorites.
Regards Leo.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
I think it is interesting that when the one of the same dough balls from the same batch of dough is used and then opened differently more oven spring is achieved and the pizza with different toppings tastes altogether different. 

Another illustration of how there are so many variable in every aspect of pizzamaking. This is one of the things I love most about it - outwardly, it appears so simple, but it is actually amazingly complex. They say the smartest people are the ones that can make the complex seem simple. I'd say the same is true of the best pizzamakers, and Norma has certainly proven herself in that class.

Beautiful pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
Looks so tasty Norma, your pies always been my favorites.

Polo,

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »
Another illustration of how there are so many variable in every aspect of pizzamaking. This is one of the things I love most about it - outwardly, it appears so simple, but it is actually amazingly complex. They say the smartest people are the ones that can make the complex seem simple. I'd say the same is true of the best pizzamakers, and Norma has certainly proven herself in that class.

Beautiful pie.

Craig,

Thanks for your kind comments too!  I also agree that each variable changes something and it just takes experiments to learn what each variable, or added variables can do.  It always amazes me how complex pizza dough is, or even opening the same dough a different way, or adding other toppings.  Sometimes it can become quite confusing about why something happened.   :-D

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Pizza IS very simple, it's what we try to do with it that makes it so complex!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
Pizza IS very simple, it's what we try to do with it that makes it so complex!

I disagree with this as written.

Pizza CAN BE very simple. Bad pizza can be very simple and requires little effort to get there. Great pizza can also be very simple once you get there, but it takes great effort to get there because of the complexity.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
Lately I've been seeing a lot of statements on these forums that it's "easy" or "simple" to make great pizza.  I don't know about the rest of you, but IMO it's quite challenging to make great pizza.  It took me a ton of time and effort before I started turning out restaurant-quality pies at home... and i'm still quite a novice and have a lot of things that I want to improve.  I think that anyone who says it's "easy" is either a pizza genius, or is living such a blissful existence that it doesn't matter either way!   :chef:

Offline dhorst

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

I think  Diana's Aleppo pepper was really good on this pizza.

Norma
[/quote]

I'm glad you enjoyed the Aleppo, Norma!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
Lately I've been seeing a lot of statements on these forums that it's "easy" or "simple" to make great pizza.  I don't know about the rest of you, but IMO it's quite challenging to make great pizza.  It took me a ton of time and effort before I started turning out restaurant-quality pies at home... and i'm still quite a novice and have a lot of things that I want to improve.  I think that anyone who says it's "easy" is either a pizza genius, or is living such a blissful existence that it doesn't matter either way!   :chef:

CDNpielover,

I agree that it take time and effort to make a pizza that is good.  Each different type of pizza has its own unique characteristics and trying variables can change things.  I am not there yet and don't think I ever will be. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:32:14 PM »

I think  Diana's Aleppo pepper was really good on this pizza.

Norma

I'm glad you enjoyed the Aleppo, Norma!

Diana,

Thank you so much for sharing your Aleppo at the Pizza Summit!   ;D  I will now purchase more of the Aleppo and try it on other foods other than pizza.  Of course, now it will be included in some of my pizzas too.  I never knew the power of Aleppo before.

Norma

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »
Some fine looking pie Norma.   ;D
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »
This pizza was made with one of the same dough balls I use for the tomato pies on my Tomato Pie thread at Reply 116 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg264856.html#msg264856   I opened the dough ball differently and used leftover toppings I had from when I used them on my first pizza on sourdough experiment on my BBQ mod at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26311.0.html  The other different dressings I used on this pizza was Parmigiano-Reggiano after the pizza was baked, Diana's Aleppo Pepper and a drizzle of olive oil before the bake. 

I think it is interesting that when the one of the same dough balls from the same batch of dough is used and then opened differently more oven spring is achieved and the pizza with different toppings tastes altogether different.  This pizza wasn't baked at a high temperature.  The flour was All Trumps.

I didn't have enough of the fresh mozzarella leftover to use though.  Diana's Aleppo pepper was really good on this pizza.

None of the other pizzas made yesterday with the same dough balls looked anything like this pizza. 

Norma

Just when I think I've seen and eaten enough pizza, you made me want more! Looks great.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »
Diana,

Thank you so much for sharing your Aleppo at the Pizza Summit!   ;D  I will now purchase more of the Aleppo and try it on other foods other than pizza.  Of course, now it will be included in some of my pizzas too.  I never knew the power of Aleppo before.

Norma
Careful, it is addicting!  I keep some in my purse for emergencies. >:D :-D

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Norma,

Please describe how you opened this one differently.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
Some fine looking pie Norma.   ;D

Just when I think I've seen and eaten enough pizza, you made me want more! Looks great.

Thanks Kevin and Jeff!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
Careful, it is addicting!  I keep some in my purse for emergencies. >:D :-D

Diana,

I can see that Aleppo could become highly addicting.  Lol, about you keeping some in your purse for emergencies.   :-D 8)  Steve didn't get to try out the Aleppo you sent him and he really liked it yesterday too.  Darn Steve went on a camping Bluegrass trip early this morning until Sunday in NY.  I wonder if he remembered to take his Aleppo with him.   :-D  I do know that he didn't forget his beer because he already had it in his truck at market yesterday.   :angel:

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Norma,

Please describe how you opened this one differently.

Nate

Nate,

I formed a distinct rim first when I was opening that dough ball and was careful not to touch the rim as much I didn't have to when stretching the skin to the full size of the pizza.  When I normally open my tomato pie doughs I really press on the dough ball and don't care if the fermentation bubbles are smashed in the rim because the tomato pies pizzas I have seen really don't have a distinct rim.  I really can't decide if I want a distinct rim or not in my future tomato pies, but really wonder what I should do.  I did post videos a long while ago when I opened skins for the preferment Lehmann doughs.  If you saw them you would have seen how I opened the dough balls for this pizza.  I really think it isn't all in the higher temperature that you can get oven spring.  I think some of it has to do with if your dough balls are fermented enough and also how you open the dough balls.

Norma

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
I agree and disagree. It didn't take me very long and I would call it quite simple, but that was after doing research before ever buying an ingredient and using all the information here. This forum literally saved me probably hundreds of dollars and tens of hours in poor pizza making. This site allows it to be "simple" if you're ok with following recipes and halfwayI decent in a kitchen its pretty easy to use others formulas that they labored over perfecting. I know that's what I did. It depends on if you count all the time I spent reading and researching (which was quite extensive because I didn't wanna go through too much trial and error). If you do it wasn't simple at all. If you don't then pizza came fairly naturally to me then.