Author Topic: Dough Ball Time Lapse  (Read 1482 times)

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
Dough Ball Time Lapse
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:45 AM »
I am more used to cold ferments but I want to get away from that. Since I am not used to it, I thought I would do a little test with varying starter amounts. I made 4 dough balls with: 100% Caputo, 60% hydration, 3% salt and Camaldoli starter.
Ball 1 - 1%
Ball 2 - 2%
Ball 3 - 3%
Ball 4 - 4%

I put them on a tray covered in wrap in my garage where it is around 70 (kitchen is too hot currently at around 80 - 85). My inconsistency with balling may have caused some premature pancaking of ball 3 and the wrap was tighter on other balls. As well, there was an open bit of wrap in front of ball 1 and you can see it dry out on the edge.
So that I knew what was happening, I used my GoPro to take a photo every minute for 26.5 hours. I thought it would be fun to do a time lapse of it (1,600 photos). I am new to the whole time lapse thing so I will work on figuring out how to get better quality videos out of it. There is an annoying green line at the bottom of the frame. Anyways, here is the link to show them proofing in 26 hrs in under a minute. I'm sure you would have figured it out, but ball 3 is under the thermometer.

Pizza Napoletana Dough Ball Experiment

iRobertO

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Ball Time Lapse
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Cool! The last few hours of fermentation is when things really start to happen.

Any comparative pizza pictures?
Josh

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
Excellent  ;D
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Very cool. I looks like ball 4 is ready to be baked? That would be in line with the sourdough starter quantity predictive model.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:00:20 AM »
Cool! The last few hours of fermentation is when things really start to happen.

Any comparative pizza pictures?

Just got home from work.. sorry for the delay.

Here are the pics

iRobertO

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »
Your pizzas look fantastic, especially #1. But they all look really delicious and beautiful.  Well done! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »
Please tell us more. Were they all baked with the same amount of fermentation? If not, how much on each? Baking time? Temp?

I would classify  #2 as "defective;" why does it look so much different from the other in your opinion?

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:54 AM »
Very cool. I looks like ball 4 is ready to be baked? That would be in line with the sourdough starter quantity predictive model.

Funny, I had to search for what you were referring to but once I did, I realized I have read some of that thread before. At the time I read it I think it was too overwhelming at that stage in the game for me - too much info making me want to ask more questions. But now I am going to spend some time going through it.

Please tell us more. Were they all baked with the same amount of fermentation? If not, how much on each? Baking time? Temp?

I would classify  #2 as "defective;" why does it look so much different from the other in your opinion?

They were all 26.5 hrs per the time lapse vid and each numbered ball had its respective number in starter percentage (if that's what you meant)..

As far as cooking method, they may have varied slightly but it was the Black Stone at around 800 deck and 900 dome, but over 20 minutes or so while I baked them, it may have varied. Also, I was playing with the flame a bit in different ways as I baked. I wish I documented all of that better.. lesson learned (for the 100th time). They were all baked between 1:15 and 1:35, again, I was experimenting.

I totally agree with what you said about ball 2. I think that may have been more relative to the heat at that moment maybe. As far as I know, I mixed, kneaded and balled everything the same (although I did that with each individually) and there is no reason why 2% starter would make that much of a difference to create the ugly pie.

iRobertO

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:36:18 AM »
Very impressive - what you did the the Black Stone on those pies.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »

From you and the others on here, those comments mean a lot..  Thanks!

iRobertO

Online scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:30:57 AM »

Impressive enough for you to want a Blackstone of your own?  >:D

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »

Nice pies! Cool video!

What's a Black Stone?

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »
Are you kidding ?  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.0/topicseen.html
Marty

Thanks! Never saw one before. They don't sell anything like that here in Japan. Thus, after being here for 19 years, I had never heard of such an oven.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »

No. If I didn't the WFO, I'd probably get one though.

Online scott123

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
No. If I didn't the WFO, I'd probably get one though.

Craig, what's the pre-heat time these days on your Acunto?  8 hours? 10? Do you ever say to yourself, "Man, I'd like some NP pizza, but just don't want to put in the effort and time with the oven?"  Blackstone is a 15-20 minute pre-heat.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »
Craig, what's the pre-heat time these days on your Acunto?  8 hours? 10? Do you ever say to yourself, "Man, I'd like some NP pizza, but just don't want to put in the effort and time with the oven?"  Blackstone is a 15-20 minute pre-heat.

And where would I get dough in 20 minutes?

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »

I guess it should have been mentioned that my starter wasn't completely active, maybe 30%? hard to tell.

I have been feeding it since yesterday and I think it is at peak or close to peak right now, so I think I will run this again with the varying starter amounts with active culture and see if it falls better into the predictive model.

Here I go!

iRobertO

Online scott123

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »
And where would I get dough in 20 minutes?

I didn't say "Man, I'd like some NP pizza, but just don't want to put in the effort and time with the oven and the dough."  :) The dough is still 48 hours.  Wouldn't a small batch (maybe 4 balls) of 48 hour dough and an oven that could be pre-heated in 20 minutes make it a bit easier?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I didn't say "Man, I'd like some NP pizza, but just don't want to put in the effort and time with the oven and the dough."  :) The dough is still 48 hours.  Wouldn't a small batch (maybe 4 balls) of 48 hour dough and an oven that could be pre-heated in 20 minutes make it a bit easier?

I have a Ferrari I love to drive and a Yugo in the garage. Either will get me from point a to point b (or somewhat close to it anyway) but I'm not going to take out the Yugo just because it will burn less gas or because it is simpler to operate.

Running the oven is at least half my enjoyment - probably more. That and my goal in every pizza I make is to come as close to perfection as possible. By definition, that doesn't happen if I use the BS because I'm too lazy to fire up the Acunto.

How long have you known me, and you really think I would ever use the BS with the Acunto in the garage?

pizzapan