Author Topic: Need South Chicago Suggestions  (Read 693 times)

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
Need South Chicago Suggestions
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
I'm near Tinley Park, IL  and Harvey, IL for the next week or so.  Where should I eat pizza and non pizza wise.

Offline derricktung

Re: Need South Chicago Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
Hmm...

If you can make it into the city, Pizano's has a decent thin crust, but Pat's Pizza has a better representation of Chicago thin crust in my opinion.  If you don't mind killing a lot of time, Great Lake has some phenomenal pizza but I'm not sure they're open anymore.  (Their hours are only evening, and they're kind of open when they want to be).  But if Vito and Nick's is too far north, you'll likely not make it into the city.  (Btw, there's a Vito and Nick's in Tinley which should be close to you.  I don't know how it compares to the VN in the city, but it's supposed to be the same owners, and it was respectable pizza when my wife and I tried it.)

If you've never had deep dish, I highly suggest getting some Lou Malnatis, some of my favorite Chicago deep dish.  Even though they're a chain, they're remarkably consistent across them, so any Lou's should do.

Spacca Napoli is probably the clear winner in terms of Neapolitan style in the city, and worth checking out if you like that style.  Also in the city, so might have to cut that out.

Some other great things to try in Chicago:

Italian beef at Portillos. (chain)  Get it dipped, and either with sweet or hot peppers... hot if you like spice.

Depending on how you got into Chicago, there's a restaurant called Birriria Zaragoza near Midway that has phenomenal food... they roast goat, make their own clean vegetable consomme, make their tacos from scratch... it's literally some of the best taco's I've had.  I don't typically like goat, but the way they cook it, it's phenomenal.  Great salsa, great meat, great consomme, great tacos. 

Also, Garrett's Popcorn makes some great caramel/cheese popcorn... there's something about their combination specifically that is ridiculously addictive... most folks I know that don't even like popcorn can't stop eating it... it's literally like they put crack in it.

Calument fisheries is slightly north of you, which has some great smelt... but their winner in my book is the cold smoked shrimp.  Seriously plump, delicious, and smokey... I could eat a few lbs of that no problem.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50:49 PM »
My vote for deep dish is definitely Pequods. But once again it's not south like you asked for. In my pizza travels I never went south.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:40:15 PM »
Not sure how it compares to he original but there is a Vito and Nicks II in Tinley. http://www.vitoandnicksii.com/stores.asp
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
Ok this is not my first trip. I have spent a bunch of time near Cicero to Midway so I'm familiar with Nick & Vitos and a few other places... 

Hmm...

If you can make it into the city, Pizano's has a decent thin crust, but Pat's Pizza has a better representation of Chicago thin crust in my opinion.  If you don't mind killing a lot of time, Great Lake has some phenomenal pizza but I'm not sure they're open anymore.  (Their hours are only evening, and they're kind of open when they want to be).  But if Vito and Nick's is too far north, you'll likely not make it into the city.  (Btw, there's a Vito and Nick's in Tinley which should be close to you.  I don't know how it compares to the VN in the city, but it's supposed to be the same owners, and it was respectable pizza when my wife and I tried it.)
Which Pat's?  I thought I heard Great Lake closed?  Ok I will try the alt Vito and Nick's.   

Lou Malnatis
Love this place, and I found one near me.  I'm on it.

Spacca Napoli is probably the clear winner in terms of Neapolitan style in the city, and worth checking out if you like that style.  Also in the city, so might have to cut that out.
OK

Italian beef at Portillos. (chain)  Get it dipped, and either with sweet or hot peppers... hot if you like spice.
I just figured out about this place. 

Birriria Zaragoza
I am a big big fan.   

Calument fisheries
Oh right I've heard of it, I should try that.  Perfect!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:04:25 AM by acbova »

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »
Not sure how it compares to he original but there is a Vito and Nicks II in Tinley. http://www.vitoandnicksii.com/stores.asp

I really love the original, for sure it's worth a try.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
Skip Portillo's for Italian beef and hit Al's. There is no comparison.  Al's Italian beef is better than any pizza Chicago has ever seen. I lived there for 6 months and ate out ever day, and the only thing from Chicago that haunts my dreams is Al's.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »
I'm guessing Original Al's?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »
I'm guessing Original Al's?

Yes, for sure. What I wouldn't give for a dipped right now.

I think it is the only food item that I've not been able to successfully reverse engineer. OMG is it a good sandwich.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »
Skip Portillo's for Italian beef and hit Al's. There is no comparison.  Al's Italian beef is better than any pizza Chicago has ever seen. I lived there for 6 months and ate out ever day, and the only thing from Chicago that haunts my dreams is Al's.

Interesting you say that...Honestly, while Portillo's isn't the number one beef in my book, it ranks behind Al's for me.  I think part of it is the price, but also many times I've gone, the beef is just too shredded and not thin sliced like I prefer.  But the flavor is definitely far stronger... What recipes have you tried to reverse engineer it?

I've heard that Johnny's Beef I've heard is one of the best, but Joe Boston's (also in the city) is my clear winner.

If you plan to come to Wheaton for Za Pi, there's a few other places that serves a pretty respectable pizza:

Papa's Pizza (http://www.yelp.com/biz/papas-pizza-place-woodridge) serves a great thin crust that my wife and her family loves.  Double decker isn't as good, so stick with thin and eat it there if possible.

Parkers: (http://www.selectrestaurants.com/parkersamerican/) is VPN certified, and actually does a pretty good job in Downer's Grove.  Their ice cream tower is a phenomenal dessert to finish, and the rest of their food is very impressive.  If you just want to focus on pizza, go between 2-7 PM on a weekday and sit in the bar area, the pizzas and other apps are half price.   Just don't get the fishsticks, as even at half price, they're a rip off.. everything else has been delicious.

La Briola:  Fairly average pizza, but they have a great burger and some phenomenal dishes to be had.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/labriola-bakery-and-caf%C3%A9-oak-brook-2  If the wife/girlfriend/you want to do some shopping, Oak Brook mall is a nice place to shop, and this is close enough to rejuv from your day.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »
Ed and Joe's!!!!
They have been in business there for over 50-years and still going strong. They used to be located just a block north of the train tracks on Oak Park Avenue on the west side of the street behind what used to be Funks Tavern. My sister and brother still live in Tinley Park and every year when I go up there to visit them we order out an Ed and Joe's Pizza (still the same from when I was a kid in the 50's). Beggar's in Oak Forest is also a pretty good bet (north of the train depot on Cicero (about 3-blocks on the west side of the road). Another good one in Oak Forest is Ken and Dicks at 15801 Central Avenue, (708-535-1212). The only excuse I've ever been able to come up with for not wanting to leave Illinois is the Chicago pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
OK So Al's Italian was out of this world good.   I don't thin the sandwich looks great in the picture but it was so fabulous. 

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member