Author Topic: Steubenville-style (Upper Ohio Valley/Pittsburgh-style)  (Read 594 times)

Offline PescaraGreg

• I Love Pizza!
Steubenville-style (Upper Ohio Valley/Pittsburgh-style)
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
I've traveled a good bit around the US and always seek out local pizza places and I have never really encountered the Steubenville-style pizza (cold toppings applied after crust and sauce have baked) and was wondering if this style appears elsewhere.  Even in Pittsburgh it is not really the dominant style.  You see it here and there in the 'Burgh but you still see more East Coast (NY and Jersey/Boardwalk) styles there.  The closest I have seen it is in Las Vegas was one place where a lady asked for her cheese cold (I asked where she was from and she said 'outside Pittsburgh') and it was this same place, I think, that had a signup that said something like, "Just ask and we will put your toppings on cold."

Other than that, the closest I have found to Steubenville-style was when I was in Rome.  After watching a few videos of Bonci, I am convinced that this focaccia-style dough is the basis for Steubenville/Upper Ohio Valley pizza.  The real key, now, is finding the right thickness factor.

If anyone has any thoughts or "cold topping" experience outside Pittsburgh/Upper Ohio Valley, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
-Greg

Offline ThePieman

Re: Steubenville-style (Upper Ohio Valley/Pittsburgh-style)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »
Never heard of that style until a couple of friends had DiCarlo while they were in Virginia. They loved it. I've never tried it. That style of pie is completely foreign to Pittsburgh, PA aside of a single DiCarlo's franchise, north of there.  I'm a bit East of the Burg, and here we have a very unique style of pie. It is a very thin pie with a sweet pie/pastry dough. The dough has a very high fat content and the results are a sweet, flaky, thin and crispy crust that tastes fried. The salty cheese and pepperoni complements the crust perfectly. It is truly addictive. It is easy to down a half of large pie if you aren't careful.  8)

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
Re: Steubenville-style (Upper Ohio Valley/Pittsburgh-style)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
Pieman - I just had some of that sweet crust this weekend in Irwin, PA. Have you seen any recipes here on the forum that come close?
Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/