Author Topic: Comically sized fatboy pie from your sterotypical fatkid.  (Read 328 times)

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
Comically sized fatboy pie from your sterotypical fatkid.
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
Just what it sounds like. I am wondering if there is much of a difference in cook times/methods for making gigantic pizzas. At work we have a 32" wide opening (it's a crappy conveyor. A very old and dirty Middleby Marshall PS360) at work, so, I guess the size i'd be aiming for would be 30"-32". I'm guessing i'd have to use a screen for sure to get the whole thing properly cooked and nicely brown.... and I hear it's important to oil the screen really well prior to use... and since I don't usually use oil i'm wondering what the deal is there.

Also, side question while i'm talking about oil (so my fat self doesn't take up more real estate on this forum), I am wondering why, when I add oil to the top of my pizza, I absolutely cannot stop from getting nasty sloppy grease puddles everywhere or it getting super soggy. On the Food Network (dun dun dunnnnn) the joints that oil the crap out of their stuff have excellent results, but i'm using LESS oil than them and getting a total mess EVERY TIME. All I can think of is it might have something to do with my open temp? I've noticed wood/coal fired ovens and super hot decks tend to be the places that use oil more... so logic tells me that maybe their oil is getting hot enough to burn off a bit? Or maybe it has something to do with the toppings i'm using compared to them? I'm cooking at 500 at home (convection) and 502-504 at work on said crappy conveyor oven at 7 minutes and 10 seconds.
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline misterschu

Re: Comically sized fatboy pie from your sterotypical fatkid.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:44:01 PM »
Most places that top with oil pre-bake are using fresh mozzarella, fior di latte or mozzarella di bufala, these cheeses tend to melt well during baking and emulsify with the oil that was added.  Aged mozzarella, i.e. your supermarket polly-o low moisture whole milk or part skim, will actually shed oil during baking so the oil on top adds to that.

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
Re: Comically sized fatboy pie from your sterotypical fatkid.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
Most places that top with oil pre-bake are using fresh mozzarella, fior di latte or mozzarella di bufala, these cheeses tend to melt well during baking and emulsify with the oil that was added.  Aged mozzarella, i.e. your supermarket polly-o low moisture whole milk or part skim, will actually shed oil during baking so the oil on top adds to that.

Perfect man thanks! I use the whole milk mozz (usually) that GFS sells... the big 8lb block stuff... so that makes perfect sense. I wish di bufala didn't cost so much more cause although i've only had it once it was DELICIOUS. I know alot of places here in MI use white colby in place of mozz so do you think either of those would emulsify w/ oil? Or perhaps one of the other common ones like provolone? Cause after I read this I realized i've really only tried it out with plain old whole mozz. Thanks again!
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123