Author Topic: pastry style pizza dough  (Read 2417 times)

Offline toyman

pastry style pizza dough
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
I live in Western PA and we have a few restaurants that make their pizza crust a little different.  One that is well known and makes the top 25 pizza's in the Pittsburgh area is Jioio's.  http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/November-2012/The-Best-Pizza-in-Pittsburgh/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc  (Il Pizzaoili - my favorite - made the list and they interview Ron Molinari in the article) It's a family run, simple restaurant and the dough recipe is secret, but there are clone recipes available that include a substantial amount of Crisco/lard.  I enjoy this pizza occasionally as it is very rich.  The crust is "pie-like", thin, sweet, and you know there's a lot of fat in it.  There's another Italian/? restaurant in the area called Vallozzi's.  It has a more upscale menu with a nice wine list and nice atmosphere.  The best pizza I've had has been what they call Sicillian.  It's not the Sicillian that is discussed here, but a pastry/pie-like crust with fresh, perfectly seasoned tomatoes, topped lightly with mozz and romano cheeses.  This crust is thin, flavorful, and just works very well.  Again, I don't eat it all the time, but it is a treat when I do.  So I searched the internet for their recipe and found the following:

White Sicilian Pizza with Flaky, Pastry-Style Crust
Yield: Two 10-inch pizzas
Prep Time: 15 minutes (active), 30 minutes (inactive)
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
For the crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading and dusting pizza peel (100% - 350g)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar  (3.75% - 12g)
1 teaspoon salt (2% - 7g)
4 ounces ( cup) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled (32.5% - 114g)
2/3 cup warm water (50% - 175g)
teaspoon instant yeast (.5% - 2g)

I put in the bakers % for my recipe.  I put the dough together last evening for tonites bake and will report back on my results.  My wife is cutting the tomatoes and seasoning them this am. 

Anyone had a Valozzi or Jioio pie?  If so what did you think?

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: pastry style pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:26 AM »
Looks like Chicago thin pizza which is rare on the east coast.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/greensburg-pa-finally-getting-sweet-on-jioios-pizza.html
Please don't use the word Chicago in the same sentence when talking about that pizza.  ;D

I must admit though, I am looking forward to toyman's report.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline toyman

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »
Well........it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.  The pizza was well received, but not similar.  My wife forgot to take the dough out of the fridge so it was a little under proofed. I used fresh mozzarella, which was good, but this pie needed the reg mozzarella.  It all went, but I'll have todo some tweaking. The dough was flavorful and the texture was good, but Ithink i need to thin it out and pre bake it for a few minutes. This may take a try or two, I'll keep u posted.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
Well........it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.  The pizza was well received, but not similar.  My wife forgot to take the dough out of the fridge so it was a little under proofed. I used fresh mozzarella, which was good, but this pie needed the reg mozzarella.  It all went, but I'll have todo some tweaking. The dough was flavorful and the texture was good, but Ithink i need to thin it out and pre bake it for a few minutes. This may take a try or two, I'll keep u posted.

Keep at in.  It always takes a few bakes to master different styles.  Any pics?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
If this is a pie crust sort of dough why would you say it seemed a little under proofed?

Offline toyman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
If this is a pie crust sort of dough why would you say it seemed a little under proofed?

It was in the fridge over night, and I intended to let it come to room temp for a couple hours before baking, but that didn't happen.  The dough was very firm when I stretched it into the pan.  Maybe my terminology is a bit off, but I think letting it go a few more hours at room temp would have helped.

Sorry - no pics.  I'll try and get some of the next - better - pizza!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:36:00 AM by toyman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
10-4...look forward to your pics toyman.  :chef:

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Toyman I had Joios pizza this weekend when I was in Irwin PA. Now I find myself searching the forum for a recipe! Have you made any progress in replicating that crust? 
Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/