Author Topic: Any ideas in finding ways to get more foot traffic to my area at market  (Read 13722 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Any ideas in finding ways to get more foot traffic to my area at market
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2013, 01:31:33 PM »
Thanks for letting me know how a mans mind works though in the dating category.  I wonder if all men think the same way now.  ::)

It's mostly cowardice/fear of rejection that drives these kinds of games. I think men of yore had a bit more courage than they do now and that courage drove a more direct approach.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if Lorenzo's pans are different than the DS pans you use. You're not having problems with crust caramelizing though so it probably doesn't matter what he has, dunno.  :chef:

Bob,

I have no idea if Lorenzo's steel pans are different than mine.  I have several varieties of different kinds of steel pan now, so I don't really need any of Lorenzo's anymore. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
It's mostly cowardice/fear of rejection that drives these kinds of games. I think men of yore had a bit more courage than they do now and that courage drove a more direct approach.

Scott,

Thanks for telling me that.  Here I thought men were bolder now than years ago.  :-D

Norma

Offline bkc99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
This may not be the most creative way to get more foot traffic, but good reviews are extremely important.  I would recommend seeking out your local Yelp community manager and give him / her a small deal to write you a review. 

Also, to get more good reviews - I'd recommend providing an easy way for your happiest customers to post reviews through something like this:
https://orbose.com/template/index?templateId=1

which will allow you to get all your review / menu information / news / events all into one branded application which your clients can download.

Offline redox

« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
This may not be the most creative way to get more foot traffic, but good reviews are extremely important.  I would recommend seeking out your local Yelp community manager and give him / her a small deal to write you a review. 

Also, to get more good reviews - I'd recommend providing an easy way for your happiest customers to post reviews through something like this:

which will allow you to get all your review / menu information / news / events all into one branded application which your clients can download.
Yep, if she went to England with her pizza they'd re-write the history books to talk about the Norma Conquest!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »

bkc99,

Your idea seems good to seek out my local Yelp community manager and give him/her a call.  How do I find out who is the local Yelp community manager?  I just looked on Yelp for Yelp reviews around Lancaster on pizzas and I haven't found many Yelp reviews for the larger pizzerias.  There are eight pages of pizzerias, but it doesn't look like a lot of reviews for any of them.  http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=pizza&find_loc=Lancaster%2C+PA#find_desc&l=p:PA:Lancaster::  Does a rural area like where I am not get as many Yelp reviews?

Your idea of the Mobile App Platform is also good, but the 49.00 a month and the 50.00 one-time fee seems a little steep for a one day a week pizza business. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
I just looked again for pizzerias in the Lancaster area and this is what is listed on Yelp.  http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=pizza&find_loc=Lancaster+County%2C+PA

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I went to Lititz Sign Company today and talked with Liz about what might be the best way to do an A-frame sign.  She still believes the best way for me to advertize with a sign is to put a photo of my pizzas on the sign with text something like is on my overhead sign inside and maybe include Detroit style and Boardwalk style pizzas on the sign.  Liz also said she could put the facebook sign on the A-frame sign.  The A-frame sign would be light and foldable and all I would have to do is put a cinder block/or a sandbag on the bottom part to keep it weighted down.  Liz said those A-frame signs are durable and weather resistant outside.  We talked about maybe doing posters the same as my sign to put on all of the 9 bulletin boards at market.  I said I have a lamination machine so all I would need is the posters.  We also talked about a sandwich board maybe to put in the main drag outside, but Lititz sign only has large ones.  I had sent Liza the one photo from last week and she really liked that photo, but I want to try and take more photos tomorrow if I find time. 

I don't know if I mentioned in this thread, but my late husband and I almost always donated gift certificates for the Car, Truck & Cycle events at market and also donated gift certificates for other events at market.  I am still donating gift certificates to those events as Norma's Pizza now.  These are two Car, Truck & Cycle Events booklets I found.  I forgot the one has a nice layout/or directory of where things are at those events.

I also got my other flag out of the cupboard at market and put it on my van today.  I think I am going to put it outside again.  I did stop putting it on my van when I got the heavy A-frame sign.  It is a little faded, but I guess it will be okay for now. 

I did email market management to see if I would be able to put a smaller sandwich board on the main drag outside.

Norma 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
Good progress Norma, very good....keep it up girl!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
Good progress Norma, very good....keep it up girl!  :chef:

Bob,

I am working on the progress slowly to get more foot traffic to our area.  Maybe I should speed it up some more, but I have to think over each step I make.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
When I arrived at market today the maintenance men had made me a wheeled frame to be able to wheel my sign out to Lititz Rd. 

Liz at Lititz sign also contacted me and said the one photo she thought that might be good to put on my new sign doesn't show up right on the layout for my new sign and asked me to take more photos of the pizzas I make.  I did take more photos today of the pizzas I make, but I guess my camera isn't the best in shooting photos of how the crust really looks, unless I take a close-up photo of the crust.  The photos make my crust appear lighter than it really is.  I will send those photos to Liz tomorrow to see what she thinks of them.

I did put the pizza flag on the back of my van today.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:41 AM »
Norma:  Great to see you are getting the plan in place!  I find my camera, which is a very good one, makes everything wash out with the flash and under the lights in our room even without the flash.  Natural lighting, I am now taking things outside, makes for a much more true representation.  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
Good tip for Norma there Walter.
I really like that flag placed on your van because it is a real eye grabber. Keep up the good work PR Agent Norma!  :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
Norma:  Great to see you are getting the plan in place!  I find my camera, which is a very good one, makes everything wash out with the flash and under the lights in our room even without the flash.  Natural lighting, I am now taking things outside, makes for a much more true representation.  Walter

Walter,

I am trying to get some plans in place, but I am far from doing what I can.  The one problem that faces me directly is there isn't a lot of money left for advertizing.  Thanks for telling me about your good camera and how it also make things look washed out under artificial lighting with or without a flash.  I don't know how I could take my pizzas outside to take photos, but I might try that if Liz doesn't think one of my photos might be okay to use on the new sign. 

Market management did print out the whole 73 pages of this thread and then highlighted things they thought were relevant.  In the end they think I should do more advertizing and maybe have a stand outside to give coupons off for my pizzas.  I sure don't know how I would have the extra money to pay someone to give out free coupons and also pay for a stand outside.  I am allowed to put another A-frame sign outside in the main midway, but not while the other pizza place (also sells a lot of other foods) is open during the spring, summer or fall.  Market management did tell me they would put a sign somewhere above a door in area #2, but I have to ask where in area #2 that might be.  I really don't believe people when they are walking would look above a door for a sign.  Market management also told me other things, but I will have to keep that confidential for now. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
I really like that flag placed on your van because it is a real eye grabber.

Bob,

I have to get a new flag for the back of my van.  That flag was very inexpensive on Ebay.  It is faded now on the one side.  I can't turn it over to the other side because the lettering would be backwards then.  I really don't know why I stopped putting that flag on the back of my van, but I guess I thought the flag was too faded.  I am also going to repaint the heavy sign (and try to make it less messy) and put that in back of my van when the new sign is finished.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
I really don't believe people when they are walking would look above a door for a sign.
Norma
People never look up Norma, believe that....people never look up.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »

Bob,

I know people probably never would look up for a sign and even if they did if the sign on says pizza and an arrow it probably would not help at all.  That is one thing I am going to try to address to market management.  I know they mean well and are trying to help me get more customers.  I talked to the owners at the Greek stand again yesterday when I was purchasing some things from them.  The one lady that owns that Greek stand asked me how I was doing back in my area and I told her about this thread.  She asked me why don't I put up a sign right at the end where she is.  I told her market management did put that little pizza sign I posted about at Reply 75  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26435.msg267807.html#msg267807  That sign is very near the Greek stand and she said she never even saw that sign before I mentioned it to her. 

On the plus side, I got some new customers yesterday because they said the one restaurant in area #5 is always out of their pizzas, so they went hunting for maybe someone that sold pizzas somewhere else.  Those people came back three times to purchase my boardwalk style pizzas and really liked them.  They are from near York, Pa. and said they will be back again to purchase my pizzas.

Norma

Offline redox

« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
Not unless they're birdwatchers.  ;D

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
You are welcome Norma.  It will amaze you how much better they will look photographed in natural light.  Go in early one day and make one so you can get outside before the customers come.  I don't see your situation as a struggle.  I see it as you are building to your peak as a person/artist.   Most people peak out young and die pretty much useless on this channe.   They live off their earlier successes.   I would, and am on this road, rather peak at the end of my life because it will always be a journey that gets better just down the road a piece.   No money can ever replace a drive/passion to get something accomplished and the roadblocks are what determines if we really are as driven/passionate as we think.  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
I sure like the way that man thinks.  :)

pizzapan