Author Topic: Any ideas in finding ways to get more foot traffic to my area at market  (Read 14172 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Any ideas in finding ways to get more foot traffic to my area at market
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
Not unless they're birdwatchers.  ;D

Jay,

Lol!  :-D  In most of the normal areas at market if you look up you might bump into other people.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
You are welcome Norma.  It will amaze you how much better they will look photographed in natural light.  Go in early one day and make one so you can get outside before the customers come.  I don't see your situation as a struggle.  I see it as you are building to your peak as a person/artist.   Most people peak out young and die pretty much useless on this channe.   They live off their earlier successes.   I would, and am on this road, rather peak at the end of my life because it will always be a journey that gets better just down the road a piece.   No money can ever replace a drive/passion to get something accomplished and the roadblocks are what determines if we really are as driven/passionate as we think.  Walter

Walter,

I know from taking photos outside they do come out better even if they are taken with my cheap Sony shot camera.  I am glad you don't see my situation as a struggle.  ;) I believe in what you believe in that I am trying to build up what I am trying to do at market.  I can believe that most people peak out and die pretty much early on unless they are on a channel something like you are.  I love the journey too whether I am successful or not in the end process.  I don't have to make a lot of money to be happy.

Thanks for your inspirations and thoughts again.  8)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »
This is the email I just received from Liz and how my sign would look. 

Hello Norma,

I have attached a layout for the “A Frame” sign we discussed  Monday. It will be made out of coro and you fold it in half, each side is about 24”x40”.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Do any members have any opinions on if this sign might attract more foot traffic?  I only could take 4 photos off my computer and could not get the PDF to print out on my printer.  I do want to ask Liz if she could add the facebook symbol to the sign.

I also was looking at flutter signs on ebay, instead of the flag on the back of my van.  I would like opinions on if anyone thing this flutter sign might attract more foot traffic to our area. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swooper-Feather-Flag-15-Pole-Kit-FRESH-HOT-PIZZA-/280693119046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415a9d1846

Norma

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Norma, I really admire the way you are approaching  this problem. As with your pizza experiments, you are very deliberate, resourceful, thorough, and analytical. You do not overreact to anything and realize that progress will be made in the long run, even if the short run results are not ideal.  As a young and often overeager baker, I have learned a lot from your examples.  Since I will be leaving for college shortly, I will be spectating this thread from afar, but I have no doubts that your trademark style will prove itself yet again in solving this issue. Keep up the good work. -Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
Norma, I really admire the way you are approaching  this problem. As with your pizza experiments, you are very deliberate, resourceful, thorough, and analytical. You do not overreact to anything and realize that progress will be made in the long run, even if the short run results are not ideal.  As a young and often overeager baker, I have learned a lot from your examples.  Since I will be leaving for college shortly, I will be spectating this thread from afar, but I have no doubts that your trademark style will prove itself yet again in solving this issue. Keep up the good work. -Dave

Dave,

Thank you for your kind comments!  Hopefully I have learned in life that most things are not easy and there usually isn't easy or magical solutions to most things.  I am glad you have learned from my examples.  Hopefully, foot traffic will get better at market to our area.  If not, I at least know I have tried. 

Best of success to you when you go back to college!  I wish now I would have done some things differently in my life, but I really don't regret what I did.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
The new A-frame sign and posters from Lititz Sign Company are supposed to be ready sometime Monday.  There were some changes made to the A-frame sign and the posters.  I was working on the other A-frame sign yesterday, and am going to be working on it today to try and make it less messy.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
I got to pick up the A-frame sign and the posters today.  As can be seen when my pizzas are transferred onto a sign the pizzas look somewhat blurry.  I have to laminate the posters before I can use them.

I also found these coupons while I was at market today.  I didn't know if I had thrown them away or not.  My oldest daughter and my granddaughters boyfriend tried to give them to people in the main midway, in the main market buildings and hung some in the bathrooms a few years ago.  The only people that used the coupons were standholders.  No one would take any of the coupons that were not standholders.  I made the coupons on my computer.  I was trying to sell more items back then.

I brought the big A-frame sign home and am going to work on it Sunday if I find time.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2013, 04:41:26 PM »
Niiice.... :chef:

I would still use those old coupons; just stick a few windshields every time you walk in and out to your van...can't hurt.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
Niiice.... :chef:

I would still use those old coupons; just stick a few windshields every time you walk in and out to your van...can't hurt.  8)

Bob,

I didn't think of putting coupons on people windshields, but that is a good idea!  I will have to ask market management first though.  I have to pass everything by them to see what I am allowed and not allowed to do.  I would have to make up new coupons though, because I don't offer all of those items anymore.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
Looking good Norma!   Heck, advertising can sell anything if done right.   Look at pet rocks.............  The guy made millions.  Walter

Have you thought of saying something like- Norma's Pizza - The Best Pizza In Penn -  on your signs/flyers and whatever you use for advertising?  Most people need to be told what is good.   I tell people all the time our pizza is the best in Ohio and as good or better than any in NYC.  I am not bragging I grew up eating making it and after people have it they agree.  I offer a 100% money back guarantee if not satified and have yet to have anyone ask for their money back.    I know you are a laid back person but stepping out like this will create more of a buzz than you might think.  I spent years in the music business and the hype around an artist made or broke them.  Same with food.  Make a solid product and tell the world it is the best because you put all your heart and soul in it.  I spent an afternoon with Anthony of Una Pizza Napoletana in SF a few weeks ago.  He and I have a lot in common.  His pie was really good so you can't argue with what he says because it is not bragging when you walk the walk. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:32:51 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »
"The Best in Penn, or your money back!".... guaranteed!!  :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »
Looking good Norma!   Heck, advertising can sell anything if done right.   Look at pet rocks.............  The guy made millions.  Walter

Have you thought of saying something like- Norma's Pizza - The Best Pizza In Penn -  on your signs/flyers and whatever you use for advertising?  Most people need to be told what is good.   I tell people all the time our pizza is the best in Ohio and as good or better than any in NYC.  I am not bragging I grew up eating making it and after people have it they agree.  I offer a 100% money back guarantee if not satified and have yet to have anyone ask for their money back.    I know you are a laid back person but stepping out like this will create more of a buzz than you might think.  I spent years in the music business and the hype around an artist made or broke them.  Same with food.  Make a solid product and tell the world it is the best because you put all your heart and soul in it.  I spent an afternoon with Anthony of Una Pizza Napoletana in SF a few weeks ago.  He and I have a lot in common.  His pie was really good so you can't argue with what he says because it is not bragging when you walk the walk.

Walter,

Lol, I know advertising can sell almost anything if it is done right. 

I haven't gotten up the nerve to say something like you posted, but might try to get up the nerve to say something like that.  I have to get some flyers made and they probably will be just made by me and might include some coupons.  I first have to think of a way to design some kind of flyer that might look okay. 

I really like your way of doing things and appreciate your help again.  ;)  You are lucky you got to meet Anthony of Una Pizza Napolentana.  I saw those posts and enjoyed them.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
"The Best in Penn, or your money back!".... guaranteed!!  :chef:

Bob,

I really don't think I am ready to get that bold.  :-D  I tasted Pizza Brain pizzas in Philly and their pizzas are better than mine.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
Walter,

Lol, I know advertising can sell almost anything if it is done right. 

I haven't gotten up the nerve to say something like you posted, but might try to get up the nerve to say something like that.  I have to get some flyers made and they probably will be just made by me and might include some coupons.  I first have to think of a way to design some kind of flyer that might look okay. 

I really like your way of doing things and appreciate your help again.  ;)  You are lucky you got to meet Anthony of Una Pizza Napolentana.  I saw those posts and enjoyed them.

Norma

Thanks Norma and I dig the way youi do things too.   I grew up in a very Italian scene in NJ and one bragged of their products not from conciet but from love.  Anthony and I are from that mold.  In the music world I was deeply involved in the African American blues world.  Often I was the only white guy in the club.  Those gjys were like the Italians I grew up with.  They told the world they were the greatest and proved it by their passion.  I remember when I was playing with Lightning Hopkins.  Many consider him one the best bluesmen of all time.  He always dressed sharp.  He told me- Wlater you got to dress sharp everywhere you go and when you are on the stage the people got to know you are the man as well as when you are on the can!.  Don't see it as bragging, but as sharing your heart and soul.  I love it when a person from back home comes in and tries a pie.  I have no fears they won't like it only excitement that I hope they will.   I have used this approach throughout my life.  I never have made any real money because money is not my passion.  I get enough to get by and do my passions.  That is the greatest IMO.  Like Anthony, I won't sell anything that isn't up to snuff.   Most places sell garbage and are proudest of the register reciept at the end of the night.  I live for smiles and feeding peoples bodies and souls because that in turn feeds mine beyond any monetary rewards.   Put that on your sign and watch people come in to take the challenge.  Your love will shine through and all will be smiling.  Walter

this was a typical suit I wear when performing.  People dig it to no end.  When I drove my 1963 cadillac with clothes like this and rings on every finger, the ghetto treated me like a superstar and the upscale restaurants took me righ to the best tables even though there was a line around the block when I got there. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:10:14 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »
Elvis is Alive!!!  8)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
Elvis is Alive!!!  8)

Most people dress like bums when they perform.  I was raised by the old bluesmen, living and touring with them.  Guys like clapton, the stones, dylan, and such were often in the audience and looked like bums.  I never got that.  The old bluesmen and my Italian upbringing taught me the importance of presentation.  It makes people feel good.  That is why I say- tell the world what you do is the best and it will be if you are pure of the heart.  Never compare yourself to others.  Do what you love and it will shine.  I grew up eating Star Tavern pies.  They are great IMO but I have never put any effort into cloning them.  Why?  Because they are the king of that pie and I prefer to be a king by making pies that I love and people can take em or leave em.  Most people settle on mediocraty.  I would rather die penniless but satified that I am doing what is inside of me with no concerns of rejection or acceptance.  Walter
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:19:34 PM by waltertore »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
Thanks Norma and I dig the way youi do things too.   I grew up in a very Italian scene in NJ and one bragged of their products not from conciet but from love.  Anthony and I are from that mold.  In the music world I was deeply involved in the African American blues world.  Often I was the only white guy in the club.  Those gjys were like the Italians I grew up with.  They told the world they were the greatest and proved it by their passion.  I remember when I was playing with Lightning Hopkins.  Many consider him one the best bluesmen of all time.  He always dressed sharp.  He told me- Wlater you got to dress sharp everywhere you go and when you are on the stage the people got to know you are the man as well as when you are on the can!.  Don't see it as bragging, but as sharing your heart and soul.  I love it when a person from back home comes in and tries a pie.  I have no fears they won't like it only excitement that I hope they will.   I have used this approach throughout my life.  I never have made any real money because money is not my passion.  I get enough to get by and do my passions.  That is the greatest IMO.  Like Anthony, I won't sell anything that isn't up to snuff.   Most places sell garbage and are proudest of the register reciept at the end of the night.  I live for smiles and feeding peoples bodies and souls because that in turn feeds mine beyond any monetary rewards.   Put that on your sign and watch people come in to take the challenge.  Your love will shine through and all will be smiling.  Walter

this was a typical suit I wear when performing.  People dig it to no end.  When I drove my 1963 cadillac with clothes like this and rings on every finger, the ghetto treated me like a superstar and the upscale restaurants took me righ to the best tables even though there was a line around the block when I got there.

Walter,

Thanks, I dig the way you do things too!  Thanks for telling me more about yourself.  It was cool when you played with Lighting Hopkins.  I don't know who he is, but it sounds cool.  I am glad you live for smiles and and feeding peoples bodies and souls.  I agree that is great for the soul.  I am not to sure if I am ready to be as brave as you are right now.  I can talk to customers, but can't get myself to say anything positive about my product.  I just say taste it and see if you like my pizzas.   

Your typical suit is really flashy.  You sound like a lot of fun!  ;D

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
Norma:   You be yourself and let that self out uncensored.  You might be suprised what you see!  Here is video of Lightning Hopkins.  I played 25 years around the world with many of  the blues greats and with my own band.  Remember Kansas City by Wilbert Harrison from the 50's?  He picked me up on south orange ave in newark NJ as was blowing my harmonica and delivering drugs to bars.   I got in his cadillac with the back seat full of women that looked like the supremes and I never turned back. Walter

here is a link to my music.  I am the only person in the world doing music this way.  The blues was my root and I have let my soul carry me to where it wants to go.   I started out to be a pizza maker but as a teen I got swayed away by the music scene and then teaching.  Now I getting on 60 I am pulling it all together as one package as a teacher.  Man life is a strange trip.  I never thought I would be in such a place.  I figured I would grow old doing concerts ,and work in pizzerias/bakeries when I need cash.  That was my life until teaching came along. 

about 5000 of my songs I record in my studio- the tunnel of dreams studio- located on our property.  I record about a cd a day out here.  It is a dream come true to have such a place. I always have dreamed of this place and it has come to pass.  Dreams are the most powerful thing on this earth that man creates.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

bio link
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137

I played harmonica with Lightning.  Here is a link to a documentary from the 60's on him.  He is the best example of what I am talkng about. This is a rare look into life off the stage/house parties, which was his most natural place to be.  I got to live this life for much of my life and what an experience it was!  Have the faith to let the soul shine and wonders never dreamed of appear.  Rock gods like hendrix, stevie ray vaughn, clapton, and countless others worshiped guys like lightning.   They were so simple but so honestly soulful that it blew away all the fancy stuff those rock gods play.   Making pizza is the same thing.  A simple pie made with soul and experience is always going to be the best. 

Here is another video by louisiana red.  Red let me move in with him when I was a teenager.  He had just divorced Odetta the folk singer.  He was more a father to me than my real father.  Sadly Red, Lightning, and most all the old bluesmen I played with are dead.  Life is to short to not let yourself shine.

one from when I was living with him.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:36:09 AM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
Pizza, love, music, life, it is all one.  Walter
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:48:27 PM by waltertore »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Walter,

It would be interesting if I could let myself out uncensored, but that only happens if I really know someone well.  I already know what I am like, but a lot of people really don't need to know. 

I do recall Kansas City from the 50's.  Your story about Wilbert Harrison is very interesting and I am sure you have lived a very interesting life.

I did listen to your music from another thread you posted it on.  I do like your music and style.  I agree that life is a strange trip sometimes.  I am glad your are helping your students now to develop their talents. 

Great to hear you played harmonica with Lightning and learned to live from him.  I always enjoy the stories of your life.

Norma