Author Topic: Questions about Infinity Ovens built in Middle River, MN?  (Read 343 times)

Offline Wood is Good

• I Love Pizza!
Questions about Infinity Ovens built in Middle River, MN?
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:18:15 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking for some feed back on these ovens as I have just taken delivery of a 36" cement oven encased in a fully insulated galvanized box that has started cracking and I've owned it 10 days!!!! It started on day one! A crack started from the door to the chimney, then it went from the chimney to the dome and in more than one spot. Called Chad at MN Specialty Concrete and he said oh that's normal, they all do it, just live with it. I said OK and went back to playing with it some more. Last Friday a chunk of material (concrete) fell out between the front of the oven and the galvanized box and the first crack became a gap? >:( That's when I started getting a little hot under the collar. My dealer brought up his oven today from Dallas Center, Iowa for me to use and see if mine's a lemon or if the 4 identical ovens we ordered are all junk, I just don't know.

That's why I'm here I'd like to know if anyone has this brand and has it worked out for you. I await your reply and thank you in advance.

Mark

Offline Wood is Good

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Questions about Infinity Ovens built in Middle River, MN?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
UPDATE,

After many text's emails and pic's Chad admits there may be re-bar missing in my oven that's why concrete is falling out of it. He also admits that he wasn't there when they pored it so that kinda puts the nail in the coffin. Three of the four ovens have cracks, we don't know about the 4th because we haven't put a fire in it yet. My salesman is forwarding me a check for the two ovens I bought and requested all his money back on the 4 oven deal from Chad, but we haven't heard from Chad. Will keep you posted.   

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
If they make the ovens with rebar in it you should definitely get your money back. I have never seen a oven made with rebar. The constant expanding and contracting of the rebar is going to crack the brick/concrete.

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
Can you show pics?

Would be interesting to see the damage. Pieces falling off the dome are a serious defect in the oven IF you cured the WFO properly, before putting it trough high temperatures.
Rebar can be used to support the concrete base under the hopefully insulated ovenfloor.
Used in the oven dome or floor would be a serious error in the design!

Greetings,

Case
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:19:14 PM by Neopolitan »

Offline Wood is Good

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
I have pic's but lack the knowledge to get off my I phone to this site, will transfer pic's from phone to computer and try again. But what your saying is re bar is bad news in an oven, right? What should be put in the concrete mix to help or stop the cracking? Also I was told that a total cure took 60 days, is this close? Thank you.

Mark   

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:16:56 AM »
Re-bar is bad. Few days to cure a oven. Get your money back and run.

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:49:59 AM »
I have pic's but lack the knowledge to get off my I phone to this site, will transfer pic's from phone to computer and try again. But what your saying is re bar is bad news in an oven, right? What should be put in the concrete mix to help or stop the cracking? Also I was told that a total cure took 60 days, is this close? Thank you.

Mark

60 days seems exesive to me!?
That would mean 2 months of dailly curring!
Nobody has the patients to do this.
Unless your talking of driyng the oven after building (this should be done by the builder)
If the oven has dried after beeing build you can start to cure it for a week or so. You will find detailed curring info on the Fornobravo.com site.
There is no aftermarket product to stop cracks in the dome. Cracks apear even in the modern concrete cast ovens and they should be no problem for the structure, If things fall of then it is a problem, A oven could colapse in the worst case scenario and be a serious fire hazzard.
But for now I would try to deal with you problem with your oven!
Try to get a refund, Maybe at the forum of Fornobravo you might find people with simmilar expierences. And find out what your rights as a customer are.

(How to upload pics is described in this forum, With A Iphone you can save and send by email or to your PC)
I wish you good luck!

Case
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:56:41 AM by Neopolitan »

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:39:37 AM »
What should be put in the concrete mix to help or stop the cracking? Also I was told that a total cure took 60 days, is this close? Thank you.

Stainless steel remelt fibers (needles) are the standard reinforcement.

Here are a couple posts from a member who does it right:

As I've mentioned a few times here I use a high percentage 409 stainless needles that I buy from Hi-Temp on ebay.  None of my local suppliers stock them but high temp sells at a good price and can fit 10 pounds in a flat rate box.  I use 5% by weight of the dry castable.  KS4 has a yield of 125 lbs/cubic foot.

One of his build threads: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13681.msg144818#msg144818
In grams we trust.

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:41:01 PM »
When your are building a WFO you could use metal fibres like it is used in the excellent looking "Four Grand Mere" ovens.
This is said to support the construction of the oven. I think at least it enhances the speed of conduction in the mass. But I'am not sure what happens with metal fibres. Does it suspend equally to the concrete? does it melt? In cob ovens all fibres dissapear when the oven is fired! When building with cob it supports the material.When fired the needle like holes left in the cob mass will become insulation because of the air gaps.
Did sombody seriously test the concrete with fibres versus the regular cast oven materials by demolishing two simmilar domes. One with and one without fibres??
Annyway I am convinced that Thermal expansion won't be stopped by fibres or needles!
You do not need to worry by the hairline cracks, filling them is a waste of time, the expansion will needs points to release tension by cracking open just like the tectonic plates we live on, on this world!

In this case if the customer did cure his oven as should have been instructed by the builder, And the builder did not deliver a safe and sound WFO build to safety regulations. The customer should solve the problem by triyng to get his money back in order to buy a WFO from a sound builder!

Case
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:54:20 PM by Neopolitan »

Offline Davydd

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:24:18 PM »

Mark
Technically concrete cures forever but in construction 7 days is safe to use and 27 days is considered fully cured.

Concrete cracks and that is way rebars are installed to hold it together and provide strength for tensional loads. Concrete fibers might be a better way to go but I am not sure how they would hold up under high heat. I haven't investigated that aspect. If you used metal fibers they would be in the surface and forever be breaking off into the pizza. That is a common complaint about using a metal brush to clean a BBQ grill and getting them embedded in your meat.

The company has been in business for some time so one in good faith would think they knew what they were doing. Clay products to me are better and historically proven. I've never considered concrete as a satisfactory refractory material and that is what an oven is.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:26:33 PM by Davydd »
Davydd

Offline Polo

« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:54:50 AM »
If your oven is built using standard construction grade concrete you are in trouble from the start. Concrete cannot handle the extreme temperatures of the oven and will break down. These ovens should be built either from firebrick, or high temperature refractory cement.

I could not find a website or other source to verify the material this outfit uses, but I find it hard to believe that a company in the business of building wood fired ovens would consider using regular concrete.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:26:44 AM »

Mark

I should also mention if the company truly believes their ovens need a 60 day cure then they should do the curing and not ship an oven before 60 days are up. According to them the oven would not be finished until cured.
Davydd

Offline Wood is Good

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:57:03 PM »
I should also mention if the company truly believes their ovens need a 60 day cure then they should do the curing and not ship an oven before 60 days are up. According to them the oven would not be finished until cured.

This information was given to me by a good friend that's been in the concrete business most of his life. He did mention 28 days for a cure but I don't remember the word used for 60 days. As far as the manufacture goes I don't have a clue how he builds his ovens, I don't now the time the material, it doesn't even look like he has a vibrator on the mold due to all the concave bubbles in the oven.

A check has been sent back to me for two ovens from my salesman (waiting) and he is dealing with the manufacture direct so I don't know where I'm going next.