Author Topic: Where's The Uuni 2 Love?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Tannerwooden

Re: Where's The Uuni 2 Love?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »
You just reminded me, Harsh...Fyi, most of the assembly of the Uuni 2 involves threading nuts into bolts that are pre-welded onto the body. I overtightened one of these and broke the weld. I dont *think* I was putting too much force into it, but be careful.

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 04:15:14 PM »
I got the oven yesterday! Gonna fire it up tomorrow. Did you receive any wood pellets with it? I haven't opened it yet and won't get a chance till tomorrow evening so if it didn't I can source some in the daytime.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
I got the oven yesterday! Gonna fire it up tomorrow. Did you receive any wood pellets with it? I haven't opened it yet and won't get a chance till tomorrow evening so if it didn't I can source some in the daytime.
I heard they were sending a few out with the oven, but I didn't get any. I've wondered if that was a shipping weight thing though. Uunihq (as they seem to like calling themselves) being somewhat local to you, it may be different. It has seemed that to bake around 8 pies in a row (but without rushing), I go through around 5-8 lbs of pellets.

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
Right no pellets but this is a normal thing now as too many issues with customs in different countries (emailed them and got reply)

I managed to get 15kg for 6.25

http://www.biomassfuelsupplies.co.uk/wood-pellets-40.html

Checked with uuni people and they said they would be absolutely fine.

Got 2 balls in fridge from Friday. Lets get it on!!!

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
Tanner I've tried it. I love it. Full write up and pics tomorrow. Iam too drunk.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
Yes!!! I can't wait to hear!

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 06:11:23 AM »
Sorry about the wait tanner but I got quite busy yesterday and had no time to post.

So I unboxed the uuni, laid it all out and went at it. Took me about 20mins to assemble it all and it looked beautiful. Everything fit perfectly and no welds were broken 😊.

Decided to just fire it up without any add ons and make the pizza. Had the dough balls left over from Friday but also made 2 quick balls as I had a third guest.

Followed the instructions to a tee. Light uuni, let it burn, add pellets, wait and bake.

This thing gets crazy hot, crazy quick. Built the first two pizzas with the left over dough balls.

First was a margherita and it was phenomenal. Used cucina tomatoes and Tesco finest DOP mozzarella, oregano from the garden. 

Second was another margherita and again beautiful pizza. Both took 2-2.30 mins to cook. Turns every 35 secs or so.

Had a break for about an hour then stoked the uuni up again and waited for it to come up to temp (about 10 mins)

Made next two pizzas and again best I've ever made. I simply love this little bugger.

Needed a bowl of water behind it for those pesky pellets that escaped but apart from that it didn't just do the job it did it absolutely magnificently.

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:41 AM »
More pics

Absolutely love it!

Offline Davydd

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
It looks more petite than I imagined it, That might be the perfect oven to carry for camping. I've done a few Dutch oven pizzas with charcoal and it hasn't been satisfactory.
Davydd

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
It looks more petite than I imagined it, That might be the perfect oven to carry for camping. I've done a few Dutch oven pizzas with charcoal and it hasn't been satisfactory.
I am taking it on a few missions over the next couple of days, I will report back on its mobility and if any issues arise. I doubt I'll have a problem though. It really is a brilliant piece of kit.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
Sorry no reply yesterday Harsh. I was busy with my own pizza party! I wasn't going to make pizza for a while. My family can get a bit sick of it.  :-[  Buuut, I just sourced some excellent buffalo mozzarella which is really tough to get fresh here in the state. (Actually, it's tough to get, period.) Nothing new learned, save how much I LOVE this oven!

Questions:

1. Please tell me everything you can about taking it on the road. I'm taking mine camping at the end of July & August. I asked for advice elsewhere, but got no replies. It's probably because I used the word, "Uuni" in the post.   :P

2. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR COOKED BOTTOM!!!! Nothing but the aluminum plate? I only tried it once, for posterity since everything I read said, "Bottom heat is a problem." I had similar results and a baking steel on hand. How did you like the crust on your pies? How do you want them? I really want to get the mythical crispy crust, airy middle. I feel I got MUCH closer than I ever have on my last bake with the Uuni.

3. How did you go about, "Stoking it up again?" Mine was embers in an hour.

4. This isn't really a question, but I have to say, YOU'RE PIES LOOK INCREDIBLE! The crumb shot is amazing.

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 08:08:20 AM »
Hahaha thanks very much Tanner! I am of the same belief that the pizzas you're making are cracking.

1. I will report back as soon as I take it out and get back. Will be packing it up this evening to take to my oldest friends house (beer, pizza and babysitting his kid as his missus is away for weekend). Tomorrow I'll be taking it to a bbq so will let you know how it all goes.

2. As a personal preference my pizzas are usually more than a bit burnt and damn crispy. For my guests the base was perfect they said. My cousin said it was outstanding and the best he has eaten (high praise, bit of a foodie and has eaten pizza in a hell of a lot of places including Italy) the last pizza was my favourite as I left it in for a minute longer than the others. I am going to try it with my stone just to see what happens. I was really impressed with the rise I was getting.

3. I just put some pellets in the hopper and started giving the embers a blow. There was a wee bit of smoke but then they ignited. Left it for 5 mins and then added more pellets to hopper to about middle. Waited 10 mins and all set to go again.

4. All I can say to this one is thank you very very much for the compliment.

I look forward to our next round of uuni pizzas and the discussions that will surely follow

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
Quick pics of the Uuni 2's maiden voyage. Let me friend knock up the first pizza. He used to work for dominos when at college. Tried opening my dough with their method. Fair attempt but way too rough. Great bake tho. Done in 4 mins.

Believe it or not but the other pizza shown was baked in 87 seconds, one turn (thought it'd be fine and need a couple more) burnt crust and crazy char. This wee oven can and will do Neapolitan timing. Determined to achieve that.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »
What size dough balls are you using?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
Try less dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 04:05:56 AM »
Didn't weigh them. Total flour to mix was 430g flour and I made 4 balls off it. My batch for today is 500g flour but I've made 8 balls so will report back with the findings

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: Today at 05:36:33 AM »
Taking it with you is no issue. Just take the chimney and hopper off and hey Presto. I put the actual unit in its original box and then into the car. Tanner I don't think you'll have any issues taking it whereever you wanted. Maybe invest in a small hand luggage bag that is the size of the uuni for even easier transportability.

All Saturdays pizzas were a rousing success. At one point I had a crowd watching me knock out pizzas and firing questions at me. Felt like a celebrity chef! The small dough balls were fine and made about 7-8 inch pizzas. All done in under 2.30 mins.

I can't express how impressive this little oven is.

pizzapan