Author Topic: So it begins... in Leuven.  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Protoolskaiser

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO build
Re: So it begins... in Leuven.
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2014, 04:20:33 AM »
An update.

I never finished the oven because I was having too much fun baking pizza's. Eventually I got sick of not having a flue (=the oven taking too long too warm up and not keeping scorching temp).

So on with the flue!

All along I've wanted to mimic the Neapolitan ovens, also in looks, so my oven has to be round on top with the flue coming out of the top.
But I don't want the flue-gasses reheating the cupola thing (because smart people on here said it wasn't the best way to go).

So the flue is going up and over the cupola, but without touching it. I'm building a metal framework flue type thing that should also hold up the chimney and rests on the enclosure wall.

All this to say: today I did the first layer of reinforced brickwork. I decided to reinforce because otherwise the whole thing will rest on a few bricks and this should spread the weight a little. Hope it helps. ::)

Also one question: the ceramic blanket has been exposed to rain for a few months, it looks to be in pretty good shape but I'm afraid it might have lost some insulating skills. Anyone have an idea?

Hi Christian,
maybe I am wrong but:
ceramic blanket + rain = not good
I made sure that my ceramic blanket didn't get not even one drop of water. The same counts for the  perlite and the ceramic fiber board.
Cheers, Detlef.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »
I don't use ceramic fiber much, but my understanding is that it depends on the type.  Traditional ceramic fiber can handle moisture.  The more modern body soluble ceramic fiber cannot handle moisture and will be ruined.
-Jeff

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
So it continues.

Offline Protoolskaiser

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO build
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
So it continues.

come on Christian! Some more detailed photos please.
Cheers, Detlef.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
Allright.

So the whole flue construction doesn't rest on the dome, but on the enclosure. It's resting on this thing which I constructed using a big-ass T profile.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
Basically the chimney is resting upon a framework in metal that I will close of using refractory tiles of 30 mm thick. All this will be covered up by the enclosure dome, so the only thing you'll see is the chimney coming out on top.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
What's left to do is build the framework from above the oven opening connecting to the chimney, same principle: thick metal frame that will hold refractory tiles.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
View from below.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:57 AM »
I tacked the metal in place, closed everything up by just laying the stones  in place dry and closing gaps with aluminum foil, just makeshift to test the thing.

There where still gaps everywhere but it still pulled pretty good I think (have nothing to compare it to really), better that without flue that's for sure.

This week I'll finish weld everything and close up with stones and cement.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
Nice draw!
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:14 AM »
Did this yesterday. Only thing that's left now is insulating the flue and closing up the cupola. Can't wait to try it because this is finally the oven part finished, it should now function the way it's supposed to function.

Offline Protoolskaiser

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO build
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
Thank you Christian for these detailed photos.
Cheers, Detlef.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2015, 05:01:02 AM »
I have a question too:

The oven is now isolated with a few layers of ceramic blanket. I'm planning on stuffing all the cavities up to where the enclosure is now with rockwool. On top of that I'm making a dome in a leca/cement mixture (sort of the way I made the dome for the actual oven with sand). This will than serve as insulation for the flue and as a mould to finish the enclosure with bricks.

Question: I think I've read rockwool and the ceramic blanket will lose insulating capabilities when they are compressed. So I'm wondering if I should close of the rockwool part with a metal sheet (expensive, even expanded metal) and put the leca on top of that, OR am I safe, seeing I've used so many layers of ceramic/rockwool that the commpression won't make much difference.

Sort of off topic, but since last weekend was no pizza weekend I stayed in my workshop and made this:

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »
At this point just go with straight LECA...you probably won't gain much with rock wool and the extra effort with a metal cover isn't really worth the tiny insulation gain.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
Even beter, thanks Stonecutter!

• Supporting Member
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »
I already had the rockwool so I figured I might as well use it.
So the insulation scheme is ceramic blanket / Rockwool / Leca.

The next step is to use a cement/leca mixture to construct a dome shape on top and than brick it up.

On a different note, seeing how many people have problems with their floor bricks, I'm pretty happy about my solution of using stones out of gas pizza ovens. I get my oven up to 500 Celcius, well saturated and never burnt a bottom.

(For pics of my bakes refer to this topic: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33022.0 )