Author Topic: Temporary mobile WFO to use in the desert. Thoughts?  (Read 89 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Temporary mobile WFO to use in the desert. Thoughts?
« on: Yesterday at 12:45:24 PM »
Hey gang. Planning on going to the Burning Man Festival in 2015. It's a week long festival/temporary city in the black rock desert of Nevada that takes place on a dry lakebed. I'm looking to make a temporary mobile WFO setup and tow it around the temporary city giving away amazing pizza. We'll drive all over the festival (speed limit 5 mph, city is several miles across. can be bumpy at times) to different locations and spontaneously create a pizza party for the people there at that moment. The weather conditions are pretty harsh at times (dust storms with whiteout conditions regularly, and a very alkaline soil), or else I'd just take my entire mobile set up with me. So I'm trying to figure the best and cheapest way to accommodate a wood fired oven given this scenario.

No one we are serving will be paying for anything, so if it's not the best pizza they ever had, it'll be ok. Basically, just looking for a reasonably high heat hearth oven that can withstand a few bumps from transit and is hopefully a couple hundred bucks or less. It doesn't have to last more than the week i'm out there, but bonus points for it being a more permanent addition to my pizza making arsenal. Once I figure out the oven, I'll then have to figure out the logistics of making it all work for the specific scenario. I wouldn't call myself very handy, but have handy friends and would be willing to build something not too complex if that's the best answer.

thoughts?

EDIT: the "sand" in this specific area is actually micro-clay. it may be usable to hold together a mortarless pre-cut refractory brick oven for a week.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:19:20 PM by weemis »
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Temporary mobile WFO to use in the desert. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:53:57 PM »
Hey gang. Planning on going to the Burning Man Festival in 2015. It's a week long festival/temporary city in the black rock desert of Nevada that takes place on a dry lakebed. I'm looking to make a temporary mobile WFO setup and tow it around the temporary city giving away amazing pizza. We'll drive all over the festival (speed limit 5 mph, city is several miles across. can be bumpy at times) to different locations and spontaneously create a pizza party for the people there at that moment. The weather conditions are pretty harsh at times (dust storms with whiteout conditions regularly, and a very alkaline soil), or else I'd just take my entire mobile set up with me. So I'm trying to figure the best and cheapest way to accommodate a wood fired oven given this scenario.

No one we are serving will be paying for anything, so if it's not the best pizza they ever had, it'll be ok. Basically, just looking for a reasonably high heat hearth oven that can withstand a few bumps from transit and is hopefully a couple hundred bucks or less. It doesn't have to last more than the week i'm out there, but bonus points for it being a more permanent addition to my pizza making arsenal. Once I figure out the oven, I'll then have to figure out the logistics of making it all work for the specific scenario. I wouldn't call myself very handy, but have handy friends and would be willing to build something not too complex if that's the best answer.

thoughts?

EDIT: the "sand" in this specific area is actually micro-clay. it may be usable to hold together a mortarless pre-cut refractory brick oven for a week.

Are you building it there or at your home? How large of an oven?  What are you putting it on..trailer or truck?  Are you sourcing all or just some of building material there? 

One thing I wouldn't do is build a mortar less mobile oven.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:13:58 PM »
Nick, you could, in theory, come up with a mortarless setup that is not that heavy and can be set up/broken down relatively easiily (once it's cooled of course).  I have a few prototypes floating around in my mind.

But that's basically just a box of bricks.  A box of bricks, in your own backyard is one thing, but a festival where record breaking quantities of psychedelics/pharmaceuticals are being ingested? 1000 deg. ovens and psychedelics are not  a good mix. Insulation and weatherproofing provide obvious energy efficiency and moisture prevention, but, less obviously, they protects anyone that might accidentally brush against the oven. Once you start adding insulation and weatherproofing, though, you're talking about an exponential increase in complexity and considerable additional expenditure.

For a festival like this, I'd leave the food to the trucks- or to people with grills.  A grill is probably not the best tool for an event like this, but it's considerably safer than a mortarless oven.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:41:25 PM »
Unless you want to spend some serious cash to give away pizza, it seems like a BlackStone may be your best bet. Easy to move even hot, fast warm up, fast bake, inexpensive, and dense fuel. What more do you want.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:16:43 PM »
Awesome project, great idea, whatever you end up doing I'm sure it'll be great.