Author Topic: How tight should the oven door be?  (Read 190 times)

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
How tight should the oven door be?
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »
So my dryfit oven has been working nicely.  It has a 4"+ perlcrete floor under firebrick (single layer all around, sailor course) with a dome height of about 12" and a door height of about 8".  The side walls have 4" of rocwool insulation and the roof has 8".   The insulation is covered with cosmetic dryfit paver bricks on the sides and a piece of durock on the top.  Covered with ugly plastic when not in use until I figure out a better roof style.  Anyway, I had an aluminum door made that has 8" of rocwool inside and I would like to know if it matters how the door should fit.  I can place it one way where there will be about 1" of space between the door and the throat bricks (with 1/4" on each left and right side) or I can turn it onto its end and that will reduce the top gap down to about 1/4".  Does it matter how well the door fits between the 2 options I have, obviously some air needs to get in to feed the fire.  I also assume there are other ways for air to get in as this is a dryfit.  Thanks in advance for your comments.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:22:35 PM by peteH »

Offline shuboyje

Re: How tight should the oven door be?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
The door is not used with a live fire so there is no need for air to get in.  You use the door for retained heat baking after fire has been removed from the oven.  You want as tight a fit as possible.  A sealed chamber that holds the moisture in is a major part of what makes a brick oven special for this form of cooking, gaps will allow the moisture to escape. 
-Jeff

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »
If bread baking/retained heat is your goal, you could do like the French: they use leftover dough as a gasket to hermetically seal the door.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
If your door is tight enough, any wood coals left in it will turn to charcoal instead of ash.  As long as there is a reveal, it isn't that hard.

pizzapan