Author Topic: My bro left me with flour and some unidentified stuff in a jar  (Read 927 times)

Offline blackshifter

• I Love Pizza!
Hello!
I'm hoping someone out there can help me.  My brother (whose account I'm using) was a huge fan of this forum and pizza-making in general.  He made at least 5 pizzas per week for my family and friends.  He had all the pizza-making tools and supplies and continually practiced to perfect his pizza.  Unfortunately he passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last month.  At my parents' house he left 2 containers of flour and a big jar of some unidentified white thick liquidy stuff, that I'm guessing is yeast and water mixed together.  I would like to replicate his pizza (he left me his recipe), but I really don't know what this stuff in the jar is and how to begin.  The stuff in the jar has been put in the refrigerator since he died.  Is it still good to use?  How much do I use for about 3 cups of flour?  I can't find any IDY (which is what he preferred over ADY) so I'm assuming this is it.  I appreciate any help you can give.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: My bro left me with flour and some unidentified stuff in a jar
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your brother. Sounds like you may have found his starter. You will need to feed it and get to know the starter before you use it. You should read up on caring for a starter. But if he was using IDY, that would be separate than the starter. He may have used the two together. It's really not that easy to just pick up where he left off. If he was making 5 pizzas per week and loved this site, he probably had come quite a long way.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
Chris, could you post your brother's recipe?  That might help us figure out how/if he's using the starter.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:55 PM »
what was your brother's site name, sorry to hear he has passed, would like to know if I was familiar with him.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »
what was your brother's site name, sorry to hear he has passed, would like to know if I was familiar with him.

... My brother (whose account I'm using) was a huge fan of this forum and pizza-making in general. 

Online shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:06 PM »
your brothers posts seem to indicate what you found is a Ischia starter.
-Jeff

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
What an awesome way to remember your brother by.  We will help where we can.   Do you have pictures of his pizza?

Chau

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »
What an awesome way to remember your brother by.  We will help where we can.   Do you have pictures of his pizza?

Chau

Chau,

This was one of blackshifter's (Chris) pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24293.msg246314.html#msg246314

I also think blackshifter used a steel plate from the his Reply at 22 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24087.msg245333.html#msg245333

It looks like blackshifter might have use Caputo at least some of the time from his Reply at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24151.msg245132.html#msg245132

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:55 PM »
Hello!
I'm hoping someone out there can help me.  My brother (whose account I'm using) was a huge fan of this forum and pizza-making in general.  He made at least 5 pizzas per week for my family and friends.  He had all the pizza-making tools and supplies and continually practiced to perfect his pizza.  Unfortunately he passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last month.  At my parents' house he left 2 containers of flour and a big jar of some unidentified white thick liquidy stuff, that I'm guessing is yeast and water mixed together.  I would like to replicate his pizza (he left me his recipe), but I really don't know what this stuff in the jar is and how to begin.  The stuff in the jar has been put in the refrigerator since he died.  Is it still good to use?  How much do I use for about 3 cups of flour?  I can't find any IDY (which is what he preferred over ADY) so I'm assuming this is it.  I appreciate any help you can give.
Dear brother of Chris,

Your bro was a cool guy and I really enjoyed his posts here. I'm sorry for your loss and I hate for your current troubling times....but should you ever want to head back this way; we'll be here to proudly help you recreate your brothers pizza pie.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan