Author Topic: My Favorite Sauce Recipe  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: My Favorite Sauce Recipe
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »
The full red is to thick for me and I don't like to add water to a sauce. It dillutes flavor.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel, which is why I'll be making a change-up tomorrow.

Last night I made sort of a deep dish pizza out of scrap dough left over from my first Giordano's attempt a few days ago, using a pretty simple 7/11 sauce:

28 oz of 7/11
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil (or maybe 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp crushed red pepper

This sauce didn't taste very good when I tried to clone Giordano's (due to the 35-minute bake), but it tasted awesome on the scrap dough "deep dish" pizza (23-minute bake). So I can't wait to find out how 7/11 straight out of the can performs on my 4-minute NY pizzas (baked in the grill) tomorrow.

Offline redox

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
Walter, that pepperoni pizza is a thing of beauty.  :drool:

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
thanks redox.  Ryan I bet you like the 7/11.   Here is another one cooked by one of my students who is a savant with dough.  She can't read or write, but can sure work dough and run our deck ovens.  I get fresh basil from a local organic farmer.  Walter

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:03:03 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
I have not used 7/11 tomatoes yet, but I do see them often here in NJ. In my 1st walk through Restaurant Depot, I noticed they carry 6 in 1(which I never had either). So,  those of you who had both, which do you prefer? As of this moment, I'm a Sclafani user  ;D
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
I have not used 7/11 tomatoes yet, but I do see them often here in NJ. In my 1st walk through Restaurant Depot, I noticed they carry 6 in 1(which I never had either). So,  those of you who had both, which do you prefer? As of this moment, I'm a Sclafani user  ;D

7/11 all the way.  They have the tang that I grew up with in NJ.   Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
Walter, that pepperoni pizza is a thing of beauty.  :drool:

Yeah, definitely.

Also, I didn't mean to indicate that I add any puree to the 7/11. When I said "with puree," I just meant to clarify that 7/11 ground tomatoes are packed in puree. It's not something you consciously notice, though (because it's a not remotely thick tomato product).

Now that I've taken the time to write this, I'm not sure exactly where (or if) I'd seen it written that 7/11 is packed in puree. In fact, I just looked at a 7/11 can, and it doesn't say "packed in puree" anywhere.

I guess the point is that 7/11 straight out of the can = good.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
I like both a lot but give an edge to the acid added 7/11 product....great tang.

ps. "packed in puree" is consistent with whole tomatoes.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:24:31 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:19 PM »
Ryan, I will be curious how the 7/11 out of the can performs on you 4 minute bake.
Chaz

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
I'll be curious if the NY style dough I made last night will even be usable by tomorrow. For some reason all my NY style dough (7 dough balls, from 3 different batches/3 different flours) fermented so fast that as early as noon-ish today, when I checked to make sure the dough balls weren't drying out or anything, they had already fermented so much that I considered them almost unusable. This is the first time I've ever had this problem (after thousands of pizzas), and my procedural changes with this dough should have had the opposite effect, because for the first time in my life I used almost entirely cold water (excluding about 30 g of warm water for each batch, to prove the ADY). Like always, I scaled and rounded the dough almost immediately after mixing, then refrigerated immediately. Also, my ADY percentage was only 0.6%, which usually makes a dough that's best after about 72 hours in the fridge.

I thought for a while that maybe this happened because I used a different brand of yeast than normal. I even took a look at the yeast jar to make sure I hadn't mistakenly bought IDY instead of ADY. But after having some time to think about it, I'm inclined to think the refrigerator just isn't doing its job. Here's why: I made three other styles of dough, and none of them show any signs of overfermenting. The one thing they all have in common is that they're all in a different refrigerator than the NY style dough.

So I made another batch of NY style dough tonight (2 dough balls), with 0.9% ADY, and put them in the same refrigerator as all the dough that hasn't done anything weird. Hopefully some of last night's dough will still be usable tomorrow. If it doesn't look good in the morning, I might re-ball some of the dough and give at least one of the overfermented dough balls a try. (I'm very anti-bulk-ferment and anti-re-ball with NY style, but this disaster may have presented me a good opportunity to open my mind a little, or at least experiment.)

Like you, I am curious to find out how the 7/11 will perform under those conditions, too. But that stuff is so good straight out of the can that I expect my pizzas to be considerably better than pizzas I've made lately with the 7/11 plus Full-Red. (Next question is whether the grill will cooperate with me.)

Yeah, Bob, there's definitely a bit of tang to these tomatoes. It seems to be a bit sweeter after baking, though, which I like.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »

IMHO, Sclafani blows away 7/11 and 6 in 1's!

Offline scott123

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
IMHO, Sclafani blows away 7/11 and 6 in 1's!

Ditto ;D

Embarassing story:  At the NH Tour on Wednesday, I called Sclafani's 'Scalfani's.' I forgot the name of my favorite tomato.  You know how the scientists are saying that people are getting dumber because we don't have to remember anything because it's all online?  Living proof *taking a bow*

Scalfani's *shaking my head*

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 01:34:21 AM »
That's pretty much exactly how I feel, which is why I'll be making a change-up tomorrow.

Last night I made sort of a deep dish pizza out of scrap dough left over from my first Giordano's attempt a few days ago, using a pretty simple 7/11 sauce:

28 oz of 7/11
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil (or maybe 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp crushed red pepper

This sauce didn't taste very good when I tried to clone Giordano's (due to the 35-minute bake), but it tasted awesome on the scrap dough "deep dish" pizza (23-minute bake). So I can't wait to find out how 7/11 straight out of the can performs on my 4-minute NY pizzas (baked in the grill) tomorrow.

Giordanos uses 6-1 sauce.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 07:56:14 AM »
Giordanos uses 6-1 sauce.

Yeah, well I have a case of 7/11, so 7/11 it will be for most of my pizzas for a while. (I'm even gonna use 7/11 on Malnati's style today because my coarsely chopped Alta Cucinas got moldy. Besides, Alta Cucina is not really right for Malnati's style anyway.) I also have a can of Tomato Magic, which is I guess is the equivalent of the 6 IN 1 variety Giordano's uses (without peels, right?). I've never even had Giordano's, and I've only attempted to clone it once so far, so I'm not too worried about all the little details quite yet.

Man, I really want to know what "7/11" and "6 IN 1" mean. It must mean something, right? Anybody have a clue? Also, are Sclafani tomatoes ground like 7/11 and 6 IN 1, or are they whole tomatoes or what?

Time to go find out if Thursday's dough is still dough.

Thanks for the tip, Pythonic.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
I think the "6in1" stands for 6 different uses in one product/can. I believe Peter knows what the #'s stand for...the 7/11 might have something to do with weights. Sorry, not much help.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
Well, after turning the fridge to its coldest setting yesterday, the potentially-overfermented NY style dough doesn't seem much worse than it did when I first noticed the problem, about 20 hours ago. Still, I re-balled one dough ball of each flour type (All Trumps bromated, All Trumps unbromated, Power Flour), then put them in a covered dough box, and will leave them in the dining room for the next several hours. (Hopefully that won't be too long.) Also, the two semi-emergency dough balls I made last night look really good.

Hopefully some people will show up for my party today. I got very little response from Facebook friends this time, so it looks like I might end up having to throw out a bunch of good dough tomorrow or Monday. I made enough dough for nine 14" NY style, two 15" Tommy's style (+1 with scraps), two 14" Malnati's style, and two 10" Giordano's style (+1 with scraps). That's enough dough for 17 or 18 pizzas. Right now I'm only expecting enough people to make about 5 or 6 pizzas.

Walter, you up to making a 45-minute (or hour) trip for a good cause? There's a link to party details on the "Are you from central Ohio" thread. If you do come, bring anyone you want. (Anyone else from central Ohio who may see this is welcome, as well.)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
Ryan:  thanks for the invite.  I will have to pass.  I hate driving.  I ride my bike in all weather except ice and snow.  We live in Granville and the bike trail takes me right to work from our street, to the grocery store, pharmacy, and village, with never hitting a car road.   I toured the world with my music for many years and I have done enough road miles to last the rest of my life and then some.  I go into Columbus probably a dozen times a year.  Sorry.  If there was a bike trail to your place I would take it.  I have been hit by a car and no longer do car roads.   I hope the party is a success.  Invite the neighbors.  That is always a good thing for community.  You are welcome out here anytime.  Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
I have been hit by a car and no longer do car roads.

I hear that. After the many thousands of miles I've walked on roads (opposing traffic), there is no way I'd go out and ride a bike with auto traffic coming from behind me. No way! Even though I always had a bit of visual warning whenever a driver turned their vehicle into a prospective death machine, as they occasionally veered toward me (as if the driver was asleep or something), I've had to run for my life a couple times, with a heavy backpack slowing me down, escaping certain death by inches.

Music?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
I hear that. After the many thousands of miles I've walked on roads (opposing traffic), there is no way I'd go out and ride a bike with auto traffic coming from behind me. No way! Even though I always had a bit of visual warning whenever a driver turned their vehicle into a prospective death machine, as they occasionally veered toward me (as if the driver was asleep or something), I've had to run for my life a couple times, with a heavy backpack slowing me down, escaping certain death by inches.

Music?

Ryan:  Sadly you know the reality of body vs. auto.........  Yes I played music for 25 years around the world, doing about 300 dates a year.  Here is a link to my music.  I am now a real 1 man band playing all the instruments at once.  I also am the only person in the world doing all words and music spontaneously.  I call it SPONTOBEAT.  I use to have actual musicians in my band when I was doing it full time.  Here is a link to my bio, about 5,000 songs.   Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137

most current 200 songs streaming
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

some photos of me in action and an old album from the early 80's recorded in Brussels. I based my band out of there for 2.5 years and learned a lot from the french bread maker on the corner.  His shop was way cool and I would hang out whenever I was not on the road. 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »
I know we are diverting a little from the original topic but I must add that the second picture shows a guitar and I have the same model and make as that. That's a Fender Jazzmaster. I have one and just got it fixed. It was broken for over a year and just got it fixed. I was just playing it yesterday.

Check it out -

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
Cool axe and case man.  8)