Author Topic: My Favorite Sauce Recipe  (Read 5608 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

My Favorite Sauce Recipe
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »
This is my favorite sauce recipe. I've been using this and it's been working out great on my "pies".

I suggest this and this alone.

Alta Cucina canned whole peeled tomatoes.

Take them out of the can by hand.
Remove seeds by hand.
Squeeze out juice by hand.
Put in blender and pulse a few times.
It's gonna possibly a bit thick because you squeezed the juice out.
Maybe put some juice back in depending on how thick it is and how thin you want.
Pulse again a couple of times.
Ladle on pizza and dress pizza.
Now you are done.

Pure tomato taste.

I'm thoroughly impressed by Alta Cucina. I think Jackie Tran likes that brand too.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: My Favorite Sauce Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
I love Alta Cucina's but just can't deal with the size of the can. I can only get them in #10 cans and I hate freezing or refridgerating tomatoes. I do however used AC's exclusively for my pasta sauce aka "gravy", where I use the whole can all at once.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
I like how the juice in the AC is not thin like most juice in whole tomato cans. It's a bit thicker.

I know what you mean about freezing or refrigerating them. But you know the price of a #10 can cost the same as a DOP San Marzano 28 ounce can so value wise the AC is better. I know SMs are the best but AC come very close so the price I have to go for the AC. Granted I never used DOP SM but I figure they are supposed to be the best.

I love how the AC I don't have to add any spices. Just right out of the can, pulse it a few times and put on pizza. I see on TV how in Italy when they make their Neapolitan pizzas they just use the tomatoes with no spices added except maybe adding some salt on top of the sauce after they ladle it on. If the tomato taste is good, really good then why add garlic, basil, oregano and all that?

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »
I love Alta Cucina's but just can't deal with the size of the can. I can only get them in #10 cans and I hate freezing or refridgerating tomatoes. I do however used AC's exclusively for my pasta sauce aka "gravy", where I use the whole can all at once.

When you have used AC in the past for pizza what do you put in it? What spices? Do you just use the tomatoes as is like I do just crush them or do you add stuff to it?

If you don't mind telling me what is your recipe for "gravy" or pasta sauce?

Thanks

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
I actually have never used them on a pizza, but I'm sure they would be excellent and I will at some time. I have a favorite Italian restaurant, and one night when we were the last people to leave, I asked our waiter what kind of tomatoes they used for their sauce, because as I said to him. "your sauce is excellent". Without hesitation he said Alta Cucina's. He probably didn't think I know what the hell AC's were or where to get them, but I already had a can sitting on the shelf in my garage. The next day I made a pot of sauce, I've been a fan ever since. As far as a recipe, I just wing it, I saute about 3-4 cloves of garlic in some olive oil, add the tomatoes, I like a little bit of oregano and basil, and I just bring the sauce to a gentle simmer and let at cook very minimally, probably around 15 minutes after it gets bubbly. I use the whole #10 can in a big dutch oven.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
I actually have never used them on a pizza, but I'm sure they would be excellent and I will at some time. I have a favorite Italian restaurant, and one night when we were the last people to leave, I asked our waiter what kind of tomatoes they used for their sauce, because as I said to him. "your sauce is excellent". Without hesitation he said Alta Cucina's. He probably didn't think I know what the hell AC's were or where to get them, but I already had a can sitting on the shelf in my garage. The next day I made a pot of sauce, I've been a fan ever since. As far as a recipe, I just wing it, I saute about 3-4 cloves of garlic in some olive oil, add the tomatoes, I like a little bit of oregano and basil, and I just bring the sauce to a gentle simmer and let at cook very minimally, probably around 15 minutes after it gets bubbly. I use the whole #10 can in a big dutch oven.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I have a recipe I made up for pasta sauce that consisted of 28 OZ can of crushed and 28 OZ can of whole canned tomatoes of any brand and I have my herbs and spices I put in but I can imagine a whole #10 can of ACs would be even better. I'll do that sometime.   

Do you crush or use the blender on the whole tomatoes before putting them in the pot or just throw them in as is?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:43 PM »
I usually just throw them in as is, will kinda crush them some with a wooden spoon when they get heated up a little. If the sauce is still a little chunkier then I like I will sometimes hit them with the stick at the very end.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
James,

It has always been my understanding that the Alta Cucina's were Stanislaus' answer to the San Marzanos. In fact, if you go to the Stanislaus website at http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products, you will see their discussion on this point, under Whole Tomatoes.

Peter

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
James,

It has always been my understanding that the Alta Cucina's were Stanislaus' answer to the San Marzanos. In fact, if you go to the Stanislaus website at http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products, you will see their discussion on this point, under Whole Tomatoes.

Peter

Pete, thank you for the info and link. I'm going to read the discussion. I really love these AC tomatoes. Do you like them too Pete?

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
Your observation that the juice in the ACs is thicker than most reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.  When you guys buy whole tomatoes, do they come in just the watery juice or with added tomato paste?  The two brands I buy are the Cento non-DOP and the Simpsons.  The Cento tomatoes are packed with basil and tomato paste while the Simpsons just have juice.  Both have citric acid I believe.  With the Centos, I use the entire can while but with the Simpsons I only use a small amount of juice along with the tomatoes.  This difference can almost double the sauce yield I get from a Cento can. Is there a unanimously preferred packing fluid?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
Pete, thank you for the info and link. I'm going to read the discussion. I really love these AC tomatoes. Do you like them too Pete?
James,

I don't have access to all of the Stanislaus products (I can get some of them at an Italian market in Dallas) but somewhere along the way I ended up with a can of the Alta Cucinas. I thought that they were very good but found them to be too salty to my palate, given that I am not a big user of salt and am more sensitive to it.

Peter

Online Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
I use the same process (remove seeds, squeeze, blend) for Cento Certifieds.   I add  a little less than 1 tsp of kosher salt, about 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, and about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder to it when I puree it with my immersion blender.  Let sit for a few hours before using... so good!

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
My intention was to keep my sauce simple and just go with the tomatoes because Alta Cucina are great. Also in Italy a lot of times they just go with the San Marzano and crush by hand and that's it, nothing else. Maybe sprinkle salt on them. Well as much as I love AC as is I decided to test the waters a bit.

I thought okay, I'll do this. I put in a blender about 8 of the whole tomatoes then put 4 TBS of the tomatoe juice from the can in. Add 2 crushed minced garlic cloes. 1/4 TSP of white sugar. 2 leaves of basil from my garden all chopped up. 4 or 5 small leaves of oregano from my garden. About a TSP of grated parmesan.

I kind of winged it so I'm not sure if those are the exact measurments but I have to tell you it was really good. I was surprised because I wanted the pure tomato taste but with those ingredients it was really good. You have to understand I always felt that parmesan doesn't belong in sauce but for kicks I tried it. Not sure if it would taste as good if I left out the parm but I put it in anyway.

I'll try to do this again and see how it taste to make sure it's not a fluke.

I left out salt because as Peter said it's salty. Salty enough at least so I didn't need to add anymore salt. I think the sugar counters any saltiness.

James

scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:09 AM »
I thought okay, I'll do this. I put in a blender about 8 of the whole tomatoes then put 4 TBS of the tomatoe juice from the can in. Add 2 crushed minced garlic cloes. 1/4 TSP of white sugar. 2 leaves of basil from my garden all chopped up. 4 or 5 small leaves of oregano from my garden. About a TSP of grated parmesan.

I use a little less ingredients than you do, and I don't blend anything other than a brief hand blend for the tomatoes, but this is pretty much my sauce.

Luigi's in San Diego add parm to their sauce.  I don't think too many NY places add parm, but, I wouldn't really consider it inauthentic.  Many places sprinkle parm on the pie, so there's not much different between sprinkling parm and adding it to the sauce.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »
As Tom Lehmann mentions toward the end of Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23932.msg243030/topicseen.html#msg243030, the grated Parmesan cheese offsets some of the tartness in the tomato. And apparently it doesn't take much Parmesan cheese to have that effect.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
Tom Lehmann also posted about using oil in pizza sauce to entrap the flavors released during the baking of a pizza at Reply 165 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg237549.html#msg237549 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
I wish I didn't have to freeze my sauce and Grande East Coast Mozarella (I still get the shredded from PenMac), but it does make a huge difference if I put it in the 4, 6, or 8 Quart Foodsaver canisters to vacuum pack before freezing. 

I'm hooked on the 10# Escalon Bunta + 6in1 recipe from here, but only 1/2 as much water.  It may not be ideal, but to my inexperienced palate (& family/friends), it makes pizza light years better than what we could get locally in New London, CT.  Still using Willard's 2Stone on my Weber grill which I switched over to the Natural Gas our home has coming in.

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
I love the 6-n-1's too.  They are very well priced even with shipping and you can get smaller cans which i put with a touch of oil, oregeno, fennel seed, onion powder, garlic powder and fresh basil.   only cooking is on the pie.  fantastic.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
PizzaEater,

Since you apparently have a good source for obtaining Stanislaus products, you might want to consider trying 7/11 ground tomatoes (if you haven't already). I think they are the same tomatoes as Alta Cucina, but they are processed pretty much how it sounds like you like them (with puree). So far when I've used 7/11 for NY style sauce, I've mixed 2 parts 7/11 with one part Full-Red pizza sauce, and added fresh basil, a little fresh garlic, and some water. (This was based on the NY style sauce recipe on the Stanislaus web site.) Tomorrow, though, when I make a bunch of pizzas for a party, I'm probably just gonna use 7/11 straight out of the can for the NY style pizzas. The Full-Red pizza sauce tastes really good straight out of the can--even better than the 7/11 straight out of the can--but once the pizza is baked, I don't think the Full-Red contributes a taste I want in a NY style sauce. (However, I've found Full-Red to be excellent for cracker style pizzas.)

I'd say I like 7/11 much better than 6 IN 1, though it's been a while since I tried 6 IN 1.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »
PizzaEater,

Since you apparently have a good source for obtaining Stanislaus products, you might want to consider trying 7/11 ground tomatoes (if you haven't already). I think they are the same tomatoes as Alta Cucina, but they are processed pretty much how it sounds like you like them (with puree). So far when I've used 7/11 for NY style sauce, I've mixed 2 parts 7/11 with one part Full-Red pizza sauce, and added fresh basil, a little fresh garlic, and some water. (This was based on the NY style sauce recipe on the Stanislaus web site.) Tomorrow, though, when I make a bunch of pizzas for a party, I'm probably just gonna use 7/11 straight out of the can for the NY style pizzas. The Full-Red pizza sauce tastes really good straight out of the can--even better than the 7/11 straight out of the can--but once the pizza is baked, I don't think the Full-Red contributes a taste I want in a NY style sauce. (However, I've found Full-Red to be excellent for cracker style pizzas.)

I'd say I like 7/11 much better than 6 IN 1, though it's been a while since I tried 6 IN 1.

We use 7/11 with no other sauce or puree added.  It has a great consistency as is IMO and the flavor has that tang that I grew up with back in NJ.   I do add some grated romano, a bit of fresh crushed garlic, a bit of EVOO, and a bit of dried oregano.  The full red is to thick for me and I don't like to add water to a sauce. It dillutes flavor.  I was weened on NYC pizza.  It is in my hardwiring.  Today things get pretty dilluted due to the net.  People that never spent much time, if any, living in the  area of  a certain style make it via videos and such.   I am sure they are making really good pies but the art of the old school pizza man passing it down to the younger generation in the flesh is a dying thing.  This is what really makes a pie shine IMO.  I feel so lucky to have learned the old school way- just got lucky being born in the best food center in the USA and working in it :) Walter

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:20:31 PM by waltertore »

pizzapan