Author Topic: My Favorite Sauce Recipe  (Read 4278 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: My Favorite Sauce Recipe
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
nice guitar!  I got mine, a 1963, when I hit Austin.  I was using this old hollowbody guitar and a small solid state amp of some sort.  I was hired by the owner of the black cat lounge to play everynight.  It was on 6th street and had clubs on either side with shared brick walls.  The bands on either side were louder than us.  Then Will and Charlie Sexton walked in and asked to jam with me.  I had no idea who they were.  They were teens and once they got up the place got packed.  I knew nothing of the Austin scene except it opened its arms to my 1 of a kind approach to music.  Charlie was a member of the Arc Angels and has been Dylans main guitarist for about 20 odd years now. Will and Charlie told me I needed a better rig and immediately set me up with a black faced fender pro reverb and the jazzmaster which Lonnie mack gave to Stevie Vaughn when they did their album together.  Lonnie was one of Stevie's heros and rotting on the vine.  That album made him a big chunk of change and the guitar was one he used back in his hit days.  It was a permenant loaner.  When Stevie died I called Lonnie to get it back to him.  He said he dug my stuff and to keep it but never sell it.  Those were great days!  Walter

here is a link to some music pictures.  I was basically groomed to be a baker/pizza maker that got diverted with music.  Now I am back to pizza, music, and teaching school, all joined together as one thing.  A dream come true!

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/waltertore/library/#/user/waltertore/library/spontobeat?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1376760304091017278663469038236

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/waltertore/library/#/user/waltertore/library/?sort=3&page=1&_suid=137676044068009969258572633377

here is what I was playing and still have it.  This is from a gig in Belguim with my adopted father Louisiana Red.  He loved that guitar and always tried to get it from me but it was my first guitar and I still love it.   On a pizza note here is a house get together with Sean Carney and his band. They came by my studio to record a new album and I made pizzas for them. 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:42:27 PM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
OK, so back on topic.

I made four 14" NY style pizzas today, all in the grill, all with bake times of 4 minutes or slightly less, all using 7/11 ground tomatoes straight out of the can for sauce.

Since I was so busy making these pizzas, in addition to two Tommy's style pizzas (laminated cracker), two stuffed pizzas, and one deep dish pizza, everything's a blur to me. All I know is that: 1) All the pizza is gone except for 3/8 of the second stuffed pizza; 2) People seemed very pleased with the plain 7/11 sauce; and 3) Although everything's a blur to me, I'm pretty sure I was not let down by the plain 7/11 sauce.

Also, I used each of the three re-balled pieces of dough (which I think I mentioned earlier), and I'd say I was surprisingly satisfied with the results. One big exception, though, sorta: The re-balled All Trumps bromated dough was almost impossible to stretch (60% hydration + 1.58% oil). It was just like trying to stretch a tangled web of rubber bands. I spent probably 15 minutes trying to stretch that dough, and it just would not get any bigger after a certain point. However, I did like the pizza it produced. I wouldn't call it NY style, but it was very good nonetheless.

I still haven't had any kind of wow moment with either the All Trumps unbromated or the Power Flour. In fact, I remember one of them having a very odd taste today. (I'm pretty sure it was the AT unbromated.) And now that I've thought about it a little more, I remember my friend Lisa saying the AT unbromated pizza at my last party tasted weird, although I didn't notice any strange taste with that pizza.

I also used 7/11 straight out of the can for deep dish sauce. Even though 7/11 is not meant to be used for deep dish (mostly because of the tomato peels, I suppose), I thought it worked just fine on the deep dish pizza I baked today. I wouldn't use it in a pizzeria for deep dish, but I will have no problem using it again with deep dish pizzas for guests.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
Also Walter, that's very cool.

I was once a pretty decent musician myself, but I've only dreamed about doing what you've done. After not playing my drums for nearly a decade, I recently started playing them again, as a form of physical therapy (mostly in hopes of strengthening my hip flexors so they'll more readily lift my feet), but also as mental exercise. Just a bass, snare, ride, hi hat, and a crash. I must admit that I'm a very bad drummer now, but I'm not sure how much of it is a lack of chops and how much is neurological. And sometimes I'm not bad, or maybe even kinda good. Strange feeling. Regardless, drumming clearly helps with my condition, and I should make an effort to do it more regularly.

Offline Pauley

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »
Walter and Ryan,
Based on this thread, as well as a number of others, I am now leaning towards 7/11 sauce for use in a new pizza shop (small) I have been asked to assist in running. I've used a few different Stanislaus products before, 7/11s perhaps once. I have a recipe that was handed down to own family from a nearly 50-year old pizza/sub shop in OC, MD.
It calls for the addition of oregano, garlic powder, sugar, olive oil, crushed red peppers, salt and pepper to taste. I also like adding basil to the mix.
Based on your use with 7/11s, do you think it would need either the sugar or salt?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks Ryan and keep up that drumming.  It is good for the body and soul.  Good drummers and bassists are the hardest instruments to keep filled in a band.  That is why when I quit playing full time I went back to my roots to a real time 1 man band.

Pauley:  IMO any food making experience is 100% personal.  I was raised in the NJ/NYC pizza culture so my influences are way deep there.  It is my benchmark so to speak but with my pies I make them to what I like.  Are they 100% authentic to that style pie?  I have no idea because within that style there are tons of variations with sauce, cheese, toppings, bake temp, dough.  I put a bit of dried oregano/EVOO/DOP Romano/fresh crushed garlic.  The romano adds the salt and I taste no need for sugar. I like a tang vs. a sweet.  The exception with following your own taste buds is when one is trying to clone anothers recipe.  I would decide which way you want to go and start baking.  Have fun.  Walter
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Pauley, I don't think I'm really qualified to advise on what to include in sauce. My sauce philosophy has always been to use the best tomato product available and don't mess with it; keep it simple. Especially with NY style. For many years I preferred DOP San Marzanos for NY style sauce. But nowadays I want something with the right consistency straight out of the can, that requires less processing (or no processing), even if it sacrifices a little quality. And even though 7/11 tomatoes require considerably less work than any whole tomato, I'm not sure there is any noticeable drop in quality with the 7/11 tomatoes. Right now all I can say is the more I use 7/11, the more I like them. And so far I don't see any reason to add anything to them for NY style. But that may just be a reflection of my tastes.

Also, I didn't make or eat any pizza between January and July, nor did I think about pizza much during that time, so lately I've been experiencing pizza from a totally different perspective than I have in the past. But oddly, these several months of pizza inactivity seem to have refreshed my brain and somehow created pizza knowledge or insight that I didn't possess when I stopped making pizza in January. For example, I spent two years trying to clone Tommy's pizza (Columbus, Ohio cracker crust), and I came close but I was still pretty far off the mark. Then a couple weeks ago I tried again, having not made this kind of pizza in nearly a year, with at least four pretty major changes from my previous best-yet dough, and I nailed it.

I've learned a ton lately about sauce; things I never thought about since I started making pizza in 1997. For example, if you bake a stuffed pizza for 35 minutes at 450 with a pretty simple sauce (7/11 with a hint of oregano, basil, and crushed red pepper), you really taste the oregano, and the tomatoes end up tasting very cooked. But if you use the same sauce on a deep dish baked for 23 minutes at 450, it's a totally different experience: fresh tomato taste and no heavy oregano presence.

Since I've learned so much about sauce lately, it stands to reason that I'll continue learning. And if I ever deem myself qualified to answer the questions you asked, I'll answer them to the best of my ability. But right now I don't think I am qualified.

I guess the hard part sometimes, for us home pizzamakers, is just being able to acquire the ingredients we'd like to try without having to buy 40 lbs of it. Fortunately for me, I had an accidental conversation with the guy who does all the ordering for an Italian specialty shop that carries a very wide variety of canned tomato products (including Stanislaus, Escalon, and Redpack products). Since I didn't see 7/11 on the shelves, I asked him if they ever carry it. He said no, but he said he'd order some. When it arrived, I bought two cans. After trying it, I was impressed enough that I went to a distributor and bought a whole case. (The case only cost $25.)

In an attempt to answer your question: I don't feel any need to add salt to 7/11, and although I don't like adding sugar to sauce, I can see how adding some sugar might make 7/11 more appealing to American taste buds.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
Bought the last Alta Cucina at Costco Business today. Costco stopped selling many of the tomato products it used to sell, including Alta Cucina. I have enough to use from my last can but the issue is that they stopped, so I did buy the last can today so I can use it when my current can is used up. I love these tomatoes they work great for what I do. Too bad Costco stopped.

I can see why because the employee said that many of the pizza related products were not selling very well so they had to discontinue. It makes sense because most pizza operators already have their own suppliers of products and don't need to go to Costco Business for pizza products.  It's usually the casual home pizza maker like me who buys this stuff at Costco. I can get 7/11 at Smart & Final though but I get better sauce made up by using whole tomatoes especially Alta Cucina, so the 7/11 will be my last resort. I might just end up buying 28 OZ cans of DiNapoli which is very good too.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:12:36 PM by PizzaEater101 »

pizzapan