Author Topic: The Luggage Room Pizzeria, Pasadena, C.A.  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
The Luggage Room Pizzeria, Pasadena, C.A.
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
A few days back I took me, the lady, and our boy (and our pit bull), to lunch at a small place I been wanting to chow at called The Luggage Room Pizzeria. SLICE featured this place on TOP THIS and being so near, I made it an obligation to go. Not wanting to stray from what I was there for I opted for THE GLADIATOR, which consist of Lindy & Grundy Spicy Italian Sausage, Salumeria Biellese Pepperoni, and there secretive 3 cheese Mozzarella blend. Our son had the kid size pepperoni. I did like the Pepperoni on this pie, but honestly, the 3 cheese Mozzarella thing there doing. Overwhelmed both the good meaty tasting pepperoni, and the average tasting, ground way to fine sausage. I couldn't get them to tell me the mix of cheese they were using but in a nutshell, it was average, inglorious, forgetful, and way to much. The bread did hold up to all the topppings though, but the sourness of the dough didn't sit all the way well with me and the lady. We want good pizza crust, not the Boudin Bakery tasting sourdough bread we eat in SFO. The crust here is chewy and a bit dense. Its not bad, but its not great either. The staff is nice here and if you bring your pooch they seat you on the patio and offer a plastic bowl of H20 for the 4 legged. Would I go here again? Sure, its nice atmosphere, nice drink selection, a could be great pizza if lightened up on the sourness and the cheese, and the best looking chopped salad Ive ever seen.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: The Luggage Room Pizzeria, Pasadena, C.A.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »
Thanks for the review. Whenever I go to Pasadena for pizza it is always to go to Setebello. The crust on that pizza you posted looks a bit pedestrian, it would be hard for me to give that place a try.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
...Lindy & Grundy Spicy Italian Sausage, Salumeria Biellese Pepperoni...

At least they are using quality ingredients.  What was the price like? Expensive I bet, becuase those meats are on the high side. 

As a side note my Mom grew up in Altadena; when I was a kid we used to go visit her parents up there.

Thanks for the review Markus.

Regards,

Tinroof

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
I couldn't disagree more strongly with your review of Luggage Room.  Firstly, they do not make VPN Neapolitan pizza, so comparing them to Setebello (forgettable IMO) isn't fair.

Luggage Room uses 13.2 % sourdough starter in their dough.  They've used Spring King and Bouncer flour, both of which are medium-high gluten flours, which explains why it's chewier than the low-protein 00 flour used at a Neapolitan pizzeria.

The dough is fermented in the 60 degree range, I've forgotten the specific temp, 10 oz dough balls. They use Spanish mahon cheese (majon, sp?).  The sauce is made with Alta Cucina Whole Pear Tomatoes and Full Red Tomato paste in a 6 to 1 ratio.  There are other spices in the sauce as well, I think it's a bit of garlic and oregano.  They use olive wood in the WFO which bakes at 700 degrees.  The quality of the meats is unmatched by anyone except Mozza.  That Lindy and Grundy Italian sausage costs $14/lb and it's spectacular.  Ditto for their Salumeria Beliese pepperoni.

I think that your primary mistake in ordering is not requesting that the pizza be cooked "well done" (see my pics below).  They don't make it their normal practice to bake their pies that way because the average fool thinks it's burned.  The next time you order the Gladiator I suggest adding green olives and/or garlic. 

The prices are extremely reasonable and their corkage is $5, so bring your own wine.  Their "neighborhood nights" (Monday and Tuesday as I recall) allow you to order the second pizza for only $5. 

Cheers,
J
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:54:32 PM »
I couldn't disagree more strongly with your review of Luggage Room.  Firstly, they do not make VPN Neapolitan pizza, so comparing them to Setebello (forgettable IMO) isn't fair.

Luggage Room uses 13.2 % sourdough starter in their dough.  They've used Spring King and Bouncer flour, both of which are medium-high gluten flours, which explains why it's chewier than the low-protein 00 flour used at a Neapolitan pizzeria.

The dough is fermented in the 60 degree range, I've forgotten the specific temp, 10 oz dough balls. They use Spanish mahon cheese (majon, sp?).  The sauce is made with Alta Cucina Whole Pear Tomatoes and Full Red Tomato paste in a 6 to 1 ratio.  There are other spices in the sauce as well, I think it's a bit of garlic and oregano.  They use olive wood in the WFO which bakes at 700 degrees.  The quality of the meats is unmatched by anyone except Mozza.  That Lindy and Grundy Italian sausage costs $14/lb and it's spectacular.  Ditto for their Salumeria Beliese pepperoni.

I think that your primary mistake in ordering is not requesting that the pizza be cooked "well done" (see my pics below).  They don't make it their normal practice to bake their pies that way because the average fool thinks it's burned.  The next time you order the Gladiator I suggest adding green olives and/or garlic. 

The prices are extremely reasonable and their corkage is $5, so bring your own wine.  Their "neighborhood nights" (Monday and Tuesday as I recall) allow you to order the second pizza for only $5. 

Cheers,
J

Good to get another perspective J.  What about the dough? Markus said it is too sour. I take you think not. I like a bit of tang in a naturally fermented dough but I don't like it really sour. I think there are a few places in LA that make their pizza super sour; where does Luggage Room come in on the sour scale? 

I love Mahon cheese, BTW. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »

I don't understand, I'm the only one who mentioned Setebello but I never reviewed Luggage room. So I'm not sure to whom your comments are directed. The only reason I mentioned Setebello is because that is the only time I am ever in Pasadena for Pizza. I personally find it quite a bit better than forgettable. Not sure where you can get a better NP pizza within 100 miles from there.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:50 PM »
I've eaten there a LOT and I've experienced a range of sourness but it's never been objectionable.  On the light end of the scale it's comparable to Mozza, but generally it is more sour than theirs.  Some friends have commented that the sourdough doesn't really pair well with bitter vegetable toppings but I think that's generally true, and even those people have joined the Luggage Room's religion.   

The one negative in my estimation is that the wines on their wine list don't complement their pizzas very well.  Their corkage policy is a great antidote to that limitation.

Go!

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »
Setebello is perfectly fine Neapolitan pizza, but I think it's only moderately better than 800 Degrees in Westwood.  The soupy in the middle thing never did it for me, so that's just my personal bias.  I've been to Setebello three or four times, so I think I gave them a fair shake.  It's just not my thing.

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 04:07:28 AM »
Jefferey,
I agree with you on Setebello on that it is definitely better than forgettable, as this is also my closest go to. I wish I could post more on the quality of that place compared to other NP places around the LA County area. But there are some that Id still like to cross off my list, I sure wish I was experienced enough to compare. You have years of delicious pizza eating experience which I envy, lol.

Tinroof,
Jsaras hit it on the head with prices on this pie, wine selection, and specials. And after just googling up some of the ingredients jsaras listed on this pie,  knowing already about the Salum Bl, and none else. I feel a bit robbed somewhat in that didn't get the experience with this pie that I should've had. Im not sure if the day I was there was an off day for them, or maybe it was just that pie, that time. But I take none of what I said or tasted back. After all it is my opinion. And Im in the Dena area also, I spent the last hour or so washing skunk junk out my new pups eyes and face because she was a house dog and has never seen or dealt with skunk before.

Jsaras,
I love hearing others opinion on pie places that both parties have had the opportunity to visit, being that there are so many, but somehow oh so few goods or greats. Your knowledge on the ingredients and procedures would lead me to believe at some point you've had experience at this place, or that your determination to find out all things pizza or pizza places is far beyond my means. If so, I wish I could be that good! Anyways, I think there seems to be some confusion on the cheese used here. My waitress was adamant about using a 3 cheese blend on the pies with the option of gluten free crust. She said it was a 3 cheese mozzarella blend, but she could have meant 3 cheese as in mozzarella and other cheeses mixed in, Im not sure. But regardless, it was to much cheese as you can see from the pics, as it also pooled in the middle. And now, after learning a bit about Lindy & Grundy, Im a bit disappointed the sausage was so...ok. I really like what they are doing enough to give it a second try and love what they represent, but refuse to hop on the whole artisan/local made/grown band wagon If the taste isn't there. Its nothing personal, this goes for everything. But the crust on this pie was still just a tid to sour on this day, it was like the crust was had a dominate personality and the toppings were shy and timid. But I will asks for well done on my next visit. The pie you posted looks better than mine.

On another note:
The Congregation Room, down the street has good beer and supposedly good pies and flatbread. And Bellas Gourmet Pizza looks to be doing a Detroit Style pizza also. I plan to try both. If you or anyone else is in the area Id be up for pizza and beer with a fellow pizza lover, as long as your cool with posting pics of the pie as I do to keeps pizza freaks up till 1:06am looking at this site as I am!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:12:19 AM by Markus M. »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »
I've been to Bella's Gourmet Pizza, though not for the Detroit, and IMO it's not in the same league as LR or Setebello.

Brother's Pies & Fries has an awesome Italian oven and they bake their NY-style perfectly, but they only serve same-day dough. Ugh. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »
I have had some pretty damn good same day dough, do not let that limit your choices.

Offline FuocoPizza

• FuocoPizzeria
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
I don't understand, I'm the only one who mentioned Setebello but I never reviewed Luggage room. So I'm not sure to whom your comments are directed. The only reason I mentioned Setebello is because that is the only time I am ever in Pasadena for Pizza. I personally find it quite a bit better than forgettable. Not sure where you can get a better NP pizza within 100 miles from there.

We are only 35 miles from there...shame you haven't given us a second taste since we first opened.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 10:50:36 PM »
We are only 35 miles from there...shame you haven't given us a second taste since we first opened.

Thanks for responding, and since you responded specifically to my post, I will be in this week. And it's a lot of work for me with a 2 year old and a 45 minute drive. But I'll be there.  ;D

Offline FuocoPizza

• FuocoPizzeria
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
Thanks for responding, and since you responded specifically to my post, I will be in this week. And it's a lot of work for me with a 2 year old and a 45 minute drive. But I'll be there.  ;D

That's quite a drive indeed. We will try our best to make it worth your while brother.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »
Had a Gladiator, double protein, add green olives and basil.  Absolutely terrific. 

However, at least on this visit, the pizzas were smaller.  This particular pizza maker tonight must have come from Mozza because I could tell they tried to make the rim extra large. We had to order a second pie to get our fill.  Also, the corkage is up to $10 now.  Their in-house wines (all "local") really don't go well with pizza IMO, so I'm always compelled to bring my own bottle.  It was pricey, but very good.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
Went again for Fathers Day.  They're now making their own mozzarella in-house.  Our pizzas were back to size that I've been accustomed to over the last several years.  I think that one of the new pizza makers isn't as consistent with his stretching as the others who work there.  Delicious as always.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 09:39:21 AM »
your enthusiastic reviews make this place sound great. Is that paso wine in the previous post one you brought, or the "house" wine that you said does not complement their pizza? 10$ is still a pretty reasonable corkage.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
It's wine that we brought.  During my last visit I bent the ear of the manager regarding their wine list, which is really optimized for their restaurant next door (La Grande Orange).  They should have some Italian varietals on the list to go with pizza.  They're into the "hippie kosher" thing (local, organic, etc.), so wine from Italy is forbidden.  However there are a lot of great Italian wines produced in California.   

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Yes, I agree, even sticking with California they should be able to find Barbera , primitivo, Sangiovese, etc...
A place like that should consider keg wine- lots of cool stuff becoming available.
I like the "hippie kosher" label.

pizzapan