Author Topic: KettlePizza first fire  (Read 1222 times)

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
KettlePizza first fire
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
First off, a disclaimer...I'm a total newbie when it comes to pizza, but I've read all I could in the past few weeks to try and learn what y'all have to teach. 

Here's my first Kettle Pizza setup.

Foiled the charcoal grate to direct all the incoming air to the back where the fire pile will be.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:17:44 PM by muidaq »

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
Re: KettlePizza first fire
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
Next I put my hacked up smokenator down.  Partially to fill the void and partially to reflect heat up to the stone platform.

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »
Next I put the grate in the stock location and set the stone platform on it.  The platform is a bent up 20" pizza pan from the local restaurant supply store.  ~$6.  Next, on with the stone that fits like a glove.  http://www.axner.com/cordieriteshelf-15x16x1octagon.aspx

I created the platform for another configuration before I got the Pizza Kettle.  This isn't the designed setup, but since I have a heavier stone, this will make it easy to remove the steel ring when it's time to shut down since the main stone stays put after closing up shop.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:16:57 PM by muidaq »

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
Up top is another grate with el cheapo pizza stone #1 to store and deflect heat on top.  This may be replaced with another pizza pan to just deflect fire.  Finally, all assembled. 

My first fire is burning right now.  1/2 a chimney of KBB and three baseball sized chunks of wood.

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
30 minutes in and stone and air temp are about 100F off of eachother.  How close should I be shooting for?  What type of pizza you ask?  Uh, for now whatever Alton's recipe is.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pizza-pizzas-recipe4/index.html

I tried to add some wood and found that the flip section of the weber grate had fallen and I can't get to it to lift it back up.  I need to rig something up to either reach it or keep it in place.

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »
I was able to peak out around 700 air temp and 600 stone temp (near the back).  Should I try for a hotter stone temp next time or are these good starter temps?

...and sorry for all the posts.  I couldn't figure out how to put pictures in-line with text.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:14:45 PM by muidaq »

scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »
Muidaq, a couple things.

First, the jury is still out on a foil ceiling (Kenji is for it, I'm against), but, with the temps of the charcoal, aluminum has no place anywhere near the flame. No foil on the charcoal grate and definitely no aluminum pan as a deflector.

A deflector for a Kettlepizza setup is definitely not a bad idea- if you can get steel.  Prior to the most recent upgrade to the KP, both Kenji and Elijah seemed to be getting good results solely with fire placement- pushing the stone hearth as far as possible to the front and pushing the fire (with some wood) to the back.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20120530-pizza-kettle-test-three-works-01.jpg

You definitely need a ceiling that covers the entire area of the upper grate.  Foil works very well, but, like I said, a strong wood fire could push the ceiling to 1100+, and, if it did, the foil would melt. It's probably not going to give you a problem, but I'd still be aware of it as you burn bigger and bigger fires in an effort to reduce your bake time.

As Kenji found out, the ceiling is less about storing heat and more about trapping hot air (although both are advantageous). Whatever ceiling you go with, it should be as air tight as possible to force all the hot air through the door.

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Scott.  I just realized I saved the stainless circle from the cutout in the table you see in the photos.  If I really don't need upper mass, that should work perfectly...just have to sacrifice a couple more jigsaw blades to make it fit.  Or not...I could just set it on top and put the kettle lid away. 

Do you see any advantage to attaching the small stone to this steel lid or should I just bring it in for oven use?

Also, on the aluminum topic...is it a fume concern or just melting.   My platform is working well, but its an aluminum pan as well.

scott123

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »
The stainless cutout, as long as it's relatively flat, should work perfectly on top of the insert- no lid. It probably won't help much, but it couldn't hurt to rest the stone on the steel lid.

The aluminum is a melting issue.  Above 1100+ and it melts.  The ceiling probably won't hit that, but any area under the stone probably will. Molten aluminum is messy and potentially dangerous.

Offline muidaq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
Seems this thing likes the stainless steel roof.  It fits perfectly and I put the kettle lid on top for some air insulation.  This time I put the wood on top of the cooking grate (in the stock position) and the coals were down below, still banked on the back edge.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:57:13 PM by muidaq »

scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 03:56:59 AM »
Looks good, Muidaq. If you haven't already, I think you're ready to start baking.