Author Topic: New Technique - add 20% of water after 2 rests  (Read 599 times)

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
New Technique - add 20% of water after 2 rests
« on: July 20, 2013, 01:39:31 AM »
So I was making a batch to make 5 x 275gram balls. I added 50% of flour to all of the water that had salt dissolved in it already. I mixed it and autolysed for about 20 minutes. I then added my starter, mixed and began adding flour slowly (all hand knead). As I kept adding flour I couldn't help but think it seemed fairly low in hydration. I kept going and added all of the flour. I thought maybe something was off with the flour but then I convinced myself I was being paranoid. I let it rest for another 10 or so.. Then I kneaded it again for about 5 and let it rest. I was laying around thinking about something else when I started to think about it again. I decided to check my notes and re-do my math. Well.. it seems my careless fingers typed a 4 instead of a 5 at some point so when I was referencing my weights to get everything ready, I left out 100 grams of water! So I decided to fix the mistake.

I put in the 100 grams of water and started unfolding the dough mass. I didn't think it was going to work so I decided to leave it soaking for about 20 minutes. I came back to it and the water had turned into a milky thick soup. The dough mass still seemed impenetrable but I decided to knead away. With a few minutes, it started to come together.

Not entirely sure how this will turn out 24 hours from now, but it looks like you can save it.

Any guesses on the impact of this error?

Pics below.

iRobertO
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:43:35 AM by iRobertO »

Offline f.montoya

Re: New Technique - add 20% of water after 2 rests
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
I'd say, if you were kneading by hand, you should be just fine. A baker that I have consulted with quite often told me that a technique often used by professional bakers is to leave out some of the water called for in any given recipe. Then, they keep that "left out" water in a bowl to use as a lubricant while kneading. This keeps your hands clean while working with your dough and, eventually, all of the water finds its way into the dough. This technique is used to minimize loss of product during the mixing process.

That said, the moisture will certainly absorb evenly into the entire ball of dough over the course of several hours while fermenting so any difference might be unnoticeable...unless you overworked your dough, which might be unlikely if you did things by hand.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:45:49 PM »
iRobert0,

I agree with Fidel as to the late addition of water. One of our members, Matthew, who works professionally in Canada, has often talked about the use of "double hydration". If you do a forum search using the expression "double hydration" (without the quotes), and using Matthew as the user name, you will find several of his posts on the subject. A typical post is Reply 408 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9989.msg125839/topicseen.html#msg125839.

I believe that member John Dellavecchia has also posted on the subject. See, for example, Reply 36 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg145071/topicseen.html#msg145071.

Peter

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
Well that's all good to hear. I guess if not for mistakes, we wouldn't be on this forum in the first place  :D

They are looking ok and almost ready I would say.

iRobertO