Author Topic: Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough  (Read 2474 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »
I am posting Bruno Di Fabio's clip on YouTube called Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough.

Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough

He explains his dough making process very well, unfortunately, he uses 50lbs of flour. I did find it very interesting that he adds six eggs to his dough making.

Finally, Has anyone ever calculated the recipe for only using 4 or 5 cups of flour? Thanks.

TomN

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »
he can't call it NY style, NY style never had eggs in it!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
Tom,

See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14326.msg143218.html#msg143218 .

I can't speak for Dave, but I am not about to tell a guy by the name of Bruno di Fabio that he can't call his pizza New York style :-D.

Peter

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
I can't speak for Dave, but I am not about to tell a guy by the name of Bruno di Fabio that he can't call his pizza New York style :-D.

I'll tell him for you, Peter  :-D

Not that he'd really care, though. When you live in a world where you call yourself a 'world pizza champion' while selling pies like this:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23630.0.html

your connection with reality has to be tenuous at best.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »
You guys are hilarious.  Some of my best NY style pies have egg or egg white in the dough.  I'm sure it isn't traditional but no one would be able to pick it out in the crust.   ;D

Scott that's not a great looking crust for a commercial establishment.  Is that a Bruno pie?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:11:59 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »
6 eggs in a batch of dough made with a 50 lb. sack of flour is really like a spit in the bucket, so what the hell is the point of adding them anyways. I guess he felt a need to differentiate his dough from other's. That must make him the "champion" that he is! ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 06:14:14 PM »
6 eggs in a batch of dough made with a 50 lb. sack of flour is really like a spit in the bucket, so what the hell is the point of adding them anyways. I guess he felt a need to differentiate his dough from other's. That must make him the "champion" that he is! ;D

I agree Dave.  That's just wasting eggs.    ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
save those eggs for the baker down the street so he can make his broiche! ;)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
I did not mean to start a debate. I came across this clip on YouTube today and I just thought that it was interesting that he used EGGS in his pizza dough. I did appreciate that he took the time to show step by step how he makes pizza dough and even how he presses it out. Video really helps me learn more since I can see it done.

As for the NY Style pizza debate. He did not use the word "Authentic". However, he is in NY and used the word style, thus his style of NY pizza.  He states that he started making hand tossed pizza over 20 years ago in New York City and today he owns and operates five pizzeria and Italian restaurants in NY and Conn. I just like hearing from someone that is currently successful in the pizza business and is willing to share their ideas with a step by step video.

Let's move on from the NY Style pizza debate and enjoy the clip. Thanks.

TomN
PS
I do welcome any comments about using eggs in your dough making process. I have never done this before in pizza dough.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
I'll tell him for you, Peter  :-D

Not that he'd really care, though. When you live in a world where you call yourself a 'world pizza champion' while selling pies like this:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23630.0.html

your connection with reality has to be tenuous at best.

Hey Scott.

Your link: That is still one good looking Pie!!!! A little darker crust than I like, but the sauce and cheese look delicious.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:39:51 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the link.

TomN

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
Your link: That is still one good looking Pie!!!! A little darker crust than I like, but the sauce and cheese look delicious.

A 'little darker,' Tom?  I've seen all the pizzas you've made, and you haven't come anywhere close to that level of blackness.  Your pizzas are a thousand times better than that.  You shouldn't be watching his videos, he should be watching yours.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »
A 'little darker,' Tom?  I've seen all the pizzas you've made, and you haven't come anywhere close to that level of blackness.  Your pizzas are a thousand times better than that.  You shouldn't be watching his videos, he should be watching yours.

It is impressive how evenly he burned that pizza in such a short amount of time.

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »
Scott that's not a great looking crust for a commercial establishment.  Is that a Bruno pie?

Really, Chau, 'not a great looking crust' is the best descriptor you can come up with?  ;D That's one of the worst looking crusts I've ever seen.

Bruno, as Tom pointed out, owns a bunch of pizzerias, so I doubt he made it personally, but, it's his restaurant, so I'd definitely call it a 'Bruno pie.'  If you own the restaurant, it's your pizza.

Offline scott123

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
It is impressive how evenly he burned that pizza in such a short amount of time.

That is a good point, Jeff.  As much of an epic failure that it is, it's an incredibly unique failure.  I'd be hard pressed to be able to repeat it.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
Really, Chau, 'not a great looking crust' is the best descriptor you can come up with?  ;D That's one of the worst looking crusts I've ever seen.

Bruno, as Tom pointed out, owns a bunch of pizzerias, so I doubt he made it personally, but, it's his restaurant, so I'd definitely call it a 'Bruno pie.'  If you own the restaurant, it's your pizza.

I was just trying to be nice.   :P. Hey at least it is round and I agree that the sauce and cheese looks decent.  :D

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 09:57:03 PM »
I am a Long way from NY, but has anyone ever had one of Bruno's Pizzas???? With five pizzerias to his credit, I am guessing they are good?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
I am a Long way from NY, but has anyone ever had one of Bruno's Pizzas???? With five pizzerias to his credit, I am guessing they are good?

I've eaten at the San Diego location. Omid made me a good pizza  :-D

Offline scott123

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
I've eaten at the San Diego location. Omid made me a good pizza  :-D

Different Bruno.  Different universe.   Peter (Lutz) and Omid are the anti-Bruno di Fabio. I don't think Omid would be able to go on living if he made a crust that looked like that.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »
sorry, I thought the laughing guy implied enough sarcasm.