Author Topic: Dough thickness, topping ratio and distribution are critical to make a great pie  (Read 714 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
As important as the heat I think.  Don't ever over stretch a dough as it throws the whole balance out of whack. Made two of my best pies to date over the weekend.  I would love to bake these in a commercial oven to see what I can really do.

Nate
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:51:47 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
As important as the heat I think.  Don't ever over stretch a dough as it throws the whole balance out of whack. Made two of my best pies to date over the weekend.  I would love to bake these in a commercial oven to see what I can really do.

Nate

Nate:  Nice pies! I use a stack of blodgett 1000 deck ovens.  I also recently bought a 1" thick 18"x18" stone for our home oven.  I only baked 1 pizza on it so far but I have to tell you the results are very similar.  The Blodgetts make the entire operation very user friendly but it is not an earth shattering difference if you have your home oven set up right.  If you are ever in the Columbus Ohio area you are welcome to try out the Blodgetts.  Walter

Offline pythonic

Nate:  Nice pies! I use a stack of blodgett 1000 deck ovens.  I also recently bought a 1" thick 18"x18" stone for our home oven.  I only baked 1 pizza on it so far but I have to tell you the results are very similar.  The Blodgetts make the entire operation very user friendly but it is not an earth shattering difference if you have your home oven set up right.  If you are ever in the Columbus Ohio area you are welcome to try out the Blodgetts.  Walter

Thanks Walter.  I have no idea what temps i am hitting but I'm using a 1/2 inch stone and only doing a 30 minute preheat (i really need to go buy a cheap IR gun).  Finishing it off in the broiler really seems to help it alot though.

I've been following your posts for awhile now and I think it's really great what your doing for those kids.

Nate

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Thanks Nate!  It is very rewarding to watch kids learn the skills needed to function successfully in our world.  The main difference I find with the blodgetts vs. the home oven is the even bake, recovery time, not getting on my hands and knees, burning my forearms on the oven edges.  I was able to cook this pie in the home oven (my first and only take so far) with the stone on the bottom rack, heated for an hour to 550, and no broiler.  I left it on the stone for the entire bake.  I only had a 16" peel at home and the dough ball was from my bakery and for an 18" so it is thicker than I normally do. The blodgetts have the original stones that contain stuff that hold heat and distribute it so much better than the new stones do and I don't have any real hot spots in it like in my home oven I found out as you can see on the one burned side.   Walter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:00:39 AM by waltertore »

Offline pythonic

I need to get a bigger stone.  Still working on a 14in round :)