Author Topic: Blackstone vs 2 Stone  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone vs 2 Stone
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
The stone is fixed and therefore the gap between it and the bottom of the deflector at the back wall is fixed.  As noted, the gas ring can be moved at anytime during the bake and moved so about a maximum of maybe 1/2 of the ring projects into the gap.

Paul it sounds like the gap between the stone and the back wall in your inferno is about 2" and not adjustable where as it is less than an inch (23mm) in the 2stone pizza grill, if I didn't misunderstand Mark. 

Another difference is that placement of your gas ring or flame is adjustable on the fly where as this is not the case with the 2stone pizza grill.

I can eaesily (to easily!) burn the top of the cornicione. It is more difficult to get an intense heat to the outside edge of the cornicione.

I can't remember if you can do a 50-60 second bake in your inferno by adjusting the position of the flame during the bake.   

Can you make your gas ring rotate around its vertical axis during a bake sending more or less up the side and over the top?

No, the burner is fixed in the BS.  It is held upright and in place by a U - shaped bracket.

Offline parallei

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

I can't remember if you can do a 50-60 second bake in your inferno by adjusting the position of the flame during the bake.   

I don't see why not. My 2Stone can get to above 1000F if I let it (great for cleaning the stone).  About the shortest time I've done is 70 seconds.  All the Blackstone Challenge stuff has made me focus on Neapolitan (Style!) more than I have in the past.  I'm still a sucker for the 2-3 min Neo bake!

I've got a 48 hr. GM Organic AP flour dough that I'm going to do tonight.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:33:55 PM by parallei »

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »
Can you make your gas ring rotate around its vertical axis during a bake sending more or less up the side and over the top?

No, the burner is fixed in the BS.  It is held upright and in place by a U - shaped bracket.

Chau,

Actually the burner is attached on the BS with a single bolt/screw through the center throat into the top shelf (nut below the shelf with the bushing). I think there would be a way to use a shorter bolt or slot out an opening on the shelf to allow the burner head to rotate. I'm about to drill out the pop rivets in the front panel and replace with screws, so I should  be able to see how the back flange of the burner head is attached. Am I making sense here?  Take care!

Jim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:39:36 PM by red kiosk »
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
Jim,  I don't think you will have trouble physically moving the burner head, my concern is whether the gas control valve and venturi will fit correctly if the burner tube heads off at too great an angle.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
Chau, the distance from the top of the bottom stone to the bottom of the top stone is 86mm. The distance from the bottom of the bottom stone to the deepest point of the stone tray is 20mm.
Hope you are having a nice weekend!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Mark you forgot to answer one of my questions from earlier.

Also, do you feel that you are getting equal top and bottom heat during a typical bake?  I mean are you happy with the top browning or do you want it to brown more or faster?

When baking at a hearth of 900F, are you still getting excessive bottom charring despite using the iron spacers?  Approximately how fast are your pies baking at 900F hearth temp?

If you haven't tried already, I would to fashion a small heat deflector mod as I recommended earlier.   See reply #12

"I do see that there is some sort of baffle/heat deflector to send the heat up towards the ceiling but IMO, this piece has to extend a bit further and then curl back towards itself to some degree.  This will help concentrate the flame back towards the crust."

You can make one out of a small piece of sheet metal or some sort of SS flashing.  Put a small bend in it and tuck it under the top stone, between the top stone and the built in baffle.   That will redirect the heat back towards the crust to provide better top browning.

Chau

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Chau, sorry. At higher heats, 650-700F or higher, bottom in browning faster than top . Yesterday I baked at about 600F with = browning. I have not done a 900F bake for some time as the charring on the bottom is unacceptable.
I will attempt a heat deflector as you suggest.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles