Author Topic: Blackstone vs 2 Stone  (Read 6091 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone vs 2 Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Mark you forgot to answer one of my questions from earlier.

Also, do you feel that you are getting equal top and bottom heat during a typical bake?  I mean are you happy with the top browning or do you want it to brown more or faster?

When baking at a hearth of 900F, are you still getting excessive bottom charring despite using the iron spacers?  Approximately how fast are your pies baking at 900F hearth temp?

If you haven't tried already, I would to fashion a small heat deflector mod as I recommended earlier.   See reply #12

"I do see that there is some sort of baffle/heat deflector to send the heat up towards the ceiling but IMO, this piece has to extend a bit further and then curl back towards itself to some degree.  This will help concentrate the flame back towards the crust."

You can make one out of a small piece of sheet metal or some sort of SS flashing.  Put a small bend in it and tuck it under the top stone, between the top stone and the built in baffle.   That will redirect the heat back towards the crust to provide better top browning.

Chau

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Blackstone vs 2 Stone
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Chau, sorry. At higher heats, 650-700F or higher, bottom in browning faster than top . Yesterday I baked at about 600F with = browning. I have not done a 900F bake for some time as the charring on the bottom is unacceptable.
I will attempt a heat deflector as you suggest.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles