Author Topic: Opinion on this Tuscan Stone Oven please  (Read 410 times)

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!
Opinion on this Tuscan Stone Oven please
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Hi all.  This is my first post here and I would be greatful for any comments you may have on this oven.

Unfortunately here in Sydney, we do not have the same amount of choices that you have there in the US.  Further, of what we do have, the pricing is often double compared to your prices :(

Anyhow,  i came across this little Tuscan Oven which is roughly in my budget.   Your comments/thoughts are most welcome!

https://www.wheelandbarrow.com.au/outdoor/bbq/garden-oven-tuscan-stone-52cm-brown

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:15:07 AM by moy71 »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Opinion on this Tuscan Stone Oven please
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
It is very, very small for a WFO. What type of pizza are you hoping to make?

You may be able to get it nicely saturated with heat, remove all the coals and make NY style pizza, but Neapolitan would be a challenge due to the size and lack of insulation.
Josh

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:11:46 AM »
Hi JD

I was hoping for an NP style, but you are right since my initial reaction was "gee it is small" being only 50x50cm.  its basically the same size as a weber bbq so there wont be much area left after you light the fire....  bite-size pizzas perhaps?  LOL.

what would be the next level down (temperature wise)  from a neopolitan style? 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:16:06 AM by moy71 »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
For that price you won't find anything here in the states either.  I personally think it is worth a shot.

Being Mexican I'm going to guess it is terra-cotta like a chiminea.  That should lead to a floor with a nice low conductivity for Neapolitan.  We've had plenty of members here and elsewhere with uninsulated mortarless ovens make Neapolitan or close to Neapolitan pizzas.  With it's low mass, small size, and decent design I don't think you will have trouble getting this hot enough.  You will have to bake with the fire at the back, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me at this price.  I'd also figure out a fire shield similar to the one that comes with the pizza party ovens to mitigate the issue of the fire being too close to the pizza.

You could also insulate it dirt cheap and get even better performance.  I know Hebel is common in Australia and could be used under the oven in place of the metal stand to insulate the bottom.  Then wrap it in some mineral wool/rock wool/ whatever it is called it Australia and top it off with a layer of stucco.
-Jeff

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »
It's a very nice photo (although the thought did cross my mind that this may have been the last photo taken by the photographer prior to his or her demise from carbon monoxide poisoning) and a good looking oven, but I'm not sure there's any room for a pizza in there with the fire.  Do they have a bigger model by any chance? 

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
Here's ya' go…

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Online narmnaleg

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 02:43:32 AM »
Hi Moy,

I'm not sure if this will help at all because I realize it's in a slightly higher price range, but I can vouch for this:
http://www.my-woodfiredoven.com.au/portable-wood-fired-oven-maximus

AU$950 delivered it's still on the cheaper side.
I've been having a ball with it (I purchased it about 1 month ago and have been making pizza 2 to 3 times a week since). Neapolitan is definitely achievable in it (and it's what I usually aim for) and you'll find some examples if you search for Maximus wood fired oven.

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »
You will have to bake with the fire at the back, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me at this price.  I'd also figure out a fire shield similar to the one that comes with the pizza party ovens to mitigate the issue of the fire being too close to the pizza.

thanks for this info.  i think this has just swayed me to go for it.

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
Hi Moy,

I'm not sure if this will help at all because I realize it's in a slightly higher price range, but I can vouch for this:
http://www.my-woodfiredoven.com.au/portable-wood-fired-oven-maximus

AU$950 delivered it's still on the cheaper side.
I've been having a ball with it (I purchased it about 1 month ago and have been making pizza 2 to 3 times a week since). Neapolitan is definitely achievable in it (and it's what I usually aim for) and you'll find some examples if you search for Maximus wood fired oven.

definitely an upgrade option down the track.  thanks!

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
just a quick update... found a 2nd hand bakerstone and it seems to have positive reviews.  picking up this sunday.  i understand it wont do NP style but other styles appear to be ok. 

Online narmnaleg

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
just a quick update... found a 2nd hand bakerstone and it seems to have positive reviews.  picking up this sunday.  i understand it wont do NP style but other styles appear to be ok.

Is that the one that goes on top of a gas grill? I had a look at it at bunnings (seemed pretty cheap new) and thought it was a really interesting unit. If it gets to 400c as it states on the box neapolitans might be ok.
Please keep us posted on how it performs.

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:25:52 PM »
Please keep us posted on how it performs.

for sure !    will post on a separate thread.  am looking forward to giving it a run this weekend.

Offline moy71

• I Love Pizza!