Author Topic: blackstone oven  (Read 354 times)

Offline loco for pizza

• I Love Pizza!
blackstone oven
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »
Hi I'm Johnand have  been looking for a perfect non commercial pizza oven for home use for 10 years.
Had a Bakers pride for commercial pizzeria and want to find something close but affordable for home use. I do not want the expense or Hassle of a WFO

I have tried the Weber pozza conversion kit and did not like it much
I have played with steel in home oven and am buying a BS oven and was wondering if anyone had tried using a 16 inch round pizza steel in either top position, Bottom position, or both.
Also id anyone has tried a steel in a Big Green Egg or Big Joe?

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: blackstone oven
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:55:03 AM »
Steel isn't particularly good with an intense heat source directly below as in the BS. It's way too conductive. You could do it but you'd have to run the gas really low, and I don't know what you would gain. If you are trying to replicate your home kitchen oven outside for some reason maybe? With steel you would lose the high-temp capabilities of the BS.

There are a few posts on baking in a BGE, but it's really not a very good set-up for pizza. Steel will be even a bigger problem in a BGE because it's heat balance is terrible to start with. Even with stone, there is too much bottom heat and not enough top heat. Steel will make that way worse. In a BS, a large amount of the heat from the burner is directed around the stone and back onto the top of the pizza. The BS operates largely with forced convection for top heat which make this possible. You don't have that in the BGE.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »
The Blackstone is a great oven for them money, and I think it might have been mentioned here on the forum once or twice. ;)

Before going to the trouble of getting steel fitted for it, you might want to try using it as is.  You might like it with the stone.
--pat--

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »
John, try the BS as is .   There are several mods that you can do to change the heat balance a little, https://sites.google.com/site/blackstonepizzaoven/blackstone-pizza-oven-faq ,  but out of the box, the results are pretty good.  I have played with steel in a home oven, and a BGE variant,  no comparison to the BS.