Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 58977 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2015, 08:32:01 PM »
Tweaking BS temps/time to get good flavor in NY type pie..and could use some advice please.

I'm trying to get results close to what I'm getting in my home oven on steel, and doing a lot of trial and error with temps on the BS. What I'd like to get is an approximate 5 minute bake, with some crispiness and some chew and a lot of flavor. One place I see that I'm really missing the boat  (and the taste) is the difference in the underside between the BS and my steel oven bakes.

Probably the Maillard effect. I can't  duck that   :D   

So, how to get nice browning, on the deep side, of the bottom of the pie, and still have a good top side. I currently have the washer mod in place...and I'm wondering if for this style pie, that might be unnecessary, and possibly the cause of the paler-than-I-want bottom crust.

Thanks

Aluminum foil on top pie for first couple minutes maybe?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »
Thanks, Bob..I like that..it works for apple pie and turkey...Has anyone tried it with pizza?

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #562 on: April 27, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »
Wow, that is a ton of experience. Very impressive, Roy!

Yes, you're right..that was a wifely compliment to my steel pies :D The BS  ones last night definitely presented a stark contrast to the ones we enjoyed friom our basic Kenmore oven..But I guess the sausage was good. Napkin was nice. Fork was clean.  Seriously, I'm far more bothered by the differences than she is. But still, this is a big challenge. Your help is very appreciated. (even though I may be a steel guy to the end..I love that texture)
Hah! Thanks, but no experience here. It's all the stuff everyone here telling me over and over again. Some bits here and there finally sunk in. Six months of 4 to 6 a week bakes for lunch. You should have seen my awfulness just a few months ago. Over-baked, dried up...    :-X   :( 

- Roy

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline rparker

« Reply #563 on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!!  Or is it Yee Hawl!!!!!  ?  Well, where I'm from, it's " 'effin-AAAAA!!!! " I digress.

It all came together. The Fire Bricks rule. The Black Stone rules. I rigged up the upper stone shelf so that it sets a greater distance away from the turntable, allowing for the flame to go through the gap a little more uncontested. The gap was increased by roughly 50%.

The red 5psi regulator was 3/4 the way turned down. This is the regimen for heating the oven up. (the front oven dial in percentages of the way up) 90% for 15 minutes, then 70% for 5 minutes, then 50% for 5 minutes, then all the way down for 5 minutes (or so). I launched at 564F.

This is a 58% hydrated AT dough that never got balled. It was too tough to open into a skin. It took 10 minutes and was up in the air a long time. Many low spots. This was a disaster. I didn't even have my camera nearby. I thought for sure this was gonna be a thin, soggy mess. That didn't stop me from going the normal amount of cheese and sauce, though. I mean, something's got taste good, right?  My son made more mphatic noises than normal. "You hit a grand slam! You'll, um, you'll want to take pictures of this." He turned over his slice to show me the bottom. Such a good boy. I think I skipped across the house to get my camera bag.  ;D 

This had the kind of texture where you flick your fingernail on the bottom side and hear the little echo thing, like with a bread loaf. The thick crunch layer I've been whining about for months. Incredible example of that classic NY Style street pizza.

Enough words. Pics.

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline zwarbles

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #564 on: April 29, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Looks spectacular Roy!!   :drool:
Pat

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #565 on: April 29, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
Roy,

Glad to hear you son thought you hit a home run and you are so satisfied with your NY style pizza.  Congrats!  Your NY style does look very good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline rparker

« Reply #566 on: April 29, 2015, 10:02:48 PM »
Thank for the compliments.   :D

After the forthcoming rains leaves us and dries out, I'll take the cover off and get some pics of where I moved the shelf and where it makes the difference. I'll try to get a better, more stable support for the shelf bottom where it slides into the slots.

Norma, I think I can even make my way up to your mid 590F's without killing the outer ring like before. This should open up a good bit of opportunities for me.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #567 on: April 30, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »

Norma, I think I can even make my way up to your mid 590F's without killing the outer ring like before. This should open up a good bit of opportunities for me.

Roy,

I had luck with using firebricks and not doing anything to the shield baking at about 590.  I didn't get a darker outer ring.  Your experiments will help anyone that wants to try firebricks. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #568 on: April 30, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
Good looking pie Roy.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline rparker

« Reply #569 on: April 30, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
Thanks, Craig!   8)

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #570 on: Yesterday at 06:30:23 AM »
Hello All-

Another observation.

I am currently running with a minimal gap (~1/10 inch) between the bottom of the steel platter and the casing. No washers, deflectors or other mods. I try not to move the pie while baking as this yields a better (browner and crisper) bottom crust.

What I've noticed (to my surprise) is that even though the pies are baked off-center, the edge of the crust browns evenly around the entire pie. Physicists, have at it! :o

-Crispy

PS- I talked to Black Stone. Sadly, they only take Plaid Stamps :-D
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #571 on: Yesterday at 08:17:54 AM »
  Say, Crispy..I've been having browning problems where my top is fine,  but bottom isn't brown enough..Tried washers, then screen, then washers again...But thinking they might be the opposite of what I need...that they are used  so that the bottom doesn't get done before the top..ie. to prevent the bottom from getting too brown..the opposite of my problem, right? Maybe time to pull screen and washers and go bare bottom (the platter, not me) :-D

So by casing, you mean the stainless steel lip of the oven, correct?  So your platter sits quite low. I have mine up 7/8 of an inch. from the bottom of my platter to the top of the stainless steel lip  ..Do you think that's part of my problem? Crispy is your first name, but it's still my middle name (well, other than Pie:D  Thanks!

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #572 on: Yesterday at 08:39:12 AM »
  Say, Crispy..I've been having browning problems where my top is fine,  but bottom isn't brown enough..Tried washers, then screen, then washers again...But thinking they might be the opposite of what I need...that they are used  so that the bottom doesn't get done before the top..ie. to prevent the bottom from getting too brown..the opposite of my problem, right? Maybe time to pull screen and washers and go bare bottom (the platter, not me) :-D

So by casing, you mean the stainless steel lip of the oven, correct?  So your platter sits quite low. I have mine up 7/8 of an inch. from the bottom of my platter to the top of the stainless steel lip  ..Do you think that's part of my problem? Crispy is your first name, but it's still my middle name (well, other than Pie:D  Thanks!

I suspect you are right on both. Losing the washers and lowering the plate should change the heat balance in favor of the bottom.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #573 on: Yesterday at 09:47:26 AM »
Thanks Craig..I'm on it :) Much appreciated!

So tried a test pie this afternoon, since doing a for real/dinner bake tomorrow and want to use the BS. I did both changes..lowered the plate so it just cleared the lip (it's not totally straight so I adjusted for the lower side of course..even slightly bent the lip to accommodate..very slightly)   .I left the dough on the counter too long and extensiblity went nuts, so the TF was something like .056, but i was mainly interested in seeing how the crust baked.with these new changes...also how getting the correct time and temp in BS would work with the flavor..I've been surprised how much temp and bake time affect flavor.. With that thin a dough, the center was soft and somewhat wet from sauce..any thinner and the sauce would have just been cooked right on the stone,

The pic of bottom shows a pretty unimpressive buckling that happened at loading, but the rim and the area adjacent to the rim show a crisp area that was  eggshell-like probably because of late-balling. Launch was at 580 and bake time about 5 1/2 min . In retrospect, I think I could have gone to just over 6 and liked it even more. Tried to do a burst of high heat to give a touch more top color before finishing but I was maxed on the BS dial. For next pie, will probably leave regulator a little more open to give me more leeway on BS control.

Thanks to everyone who's been so generous helping  me with getting my BS up to speed..  Chau, Roy,  Capt Bob , Tin, Jeff, Crispy , Norma, Craig, Mike,  sorry if forgotten anyone. Clearly, it takes a village. And based on all the difficulty I've been having with this thing, I'm the Village Idiot. ;)

I"ve got a long way to go with the BS, but now, thanks to you all, I'm back on track!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:44:25 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #574 on: Today at 08:32:22 AM »
Hey Bill, the caramelization on the bottom of that pie is what it's all about!

I keep my regulator wide open and do the adjustments with the oven's knob. This allows me to blast the top so intensely that the entire chamber above the pie is a vortex of flame and will brown anything in less than 30 seconds, should I need it.

I believe some may not understand the regulator correctly. Mine is marked "5PSIG" which leads one to think 5 is the maximum. These are 20 PSI regulators! If you think otherwise just attach a standard BBQ regulator, all of which are 10 PSI-fixed. You will see that the flame is, well, limp!

Also, I suspect that many use an IR gun to measure the upper temperature while the flame is high and/or very high. This reading includes the flame itself. An accurate reading can be had by turning the burner to "idle" beforehand.

The heat-saturated temp of the bottom stone is what does most of the "baking" unless you have pre-heated the upper stone on high for an extended time and then lowered the flame at bake time. I see the BS as a moisture-robbing combination of a convection oven, infrared broiler (low temp) and flame chamber that invites each user to find the sweet-spot for the pie-du-jour. Freedom comes with responsiblities. :o

-Crispy
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #575 on: Today at 09:27:03 AM »
Freedom comes with responsiblities

Clearly!  :)

Thanks Crispy...of course  this is still a work in progress for me  I did try your technique with the regulator up full but the temps kept getting hotter and hotter. Obviously I'm missing a trick there, because it would be nice to have the ability to boost and I had the regulator down so far (or maybe I'd triggered the safety) that when I tried to boost the flame at end of bake, my flame position with BS dial at 4 o'clock position was the same flame as turned all the way up. So there was something not quite right. I do see that my thinking that the temp could be set and would remain where it's set was mistaken.  I'm wondering maybe if I split the difference and turn my regulator (and thanks for that explanation..I didn't know that) down one turn instead of two, I can keep the temps from blooming so much between pies, and still have the option for a blast o' heat which I definitely like.

Thanks so much!