Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 289354 times)

skipreid45, JD and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #4200 on: July 29, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
Fired up another four pies this weekend. The goals were:

1. To get slightly larger pies by using the same amount of dough (i.e. stretch them further without tears).
2. To get the cheese to blend into the pies better. To do so, I tried Craig's technique of tearing the mozzarella, instead of cutting it.
3. To minimize "char ring" and to lessen the overall amount of charring on the underskirt.

Goals 1 and 2 were met pretty well. Goal 3 is still one I'm working on.

Here are pics of one of my margherita pies and a rosa. The margherita was baked in 79 seconds. The rosa was done in about the same time. I also decided to include a photo of my girlfriend's panna cotta. It was impressive!

Beautiful pies, beautiful panna cotta, and beautiful photos!

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4201 on: Yesterday at 11:16:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Offline cupcake

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4202 on: Yesterday at 01:05:18 PM »
So jealous of how everyone in here is getting perfectly round and evenly distributed cornices. Mine are improving but are nowhere near as perfect as what you guys are showing.

Here are the pies from bake #3 with the BS. Changed the peel so I could finally go larger than 11.5". One margherita and one with pesto, mozz, and sundried tomatoes.  The marg was a 55 second bake and the pesto was more like 45 seconds - however that was a tad too soon and I'd normally prefer it a little more well done.

Also feel like I'm getting a decent top/bottom balance now. This with about 2/3" collar gap and 15-20 minute high (not max) heat warmup.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4203 on: Yesterday at 01:10:34 PM »
So jealous of how everyone in here is getting perfectly round and evenly distributed cornices. Mine are improving but are nowhere near as perfect as what you guys are showing.

Here are the pies from bake #3 with the BS. Changed the peel so I could finally go larger than 11.5". One margherita and one with pesto, mozz, and sundried tomatoes.  The marg was a 55 second bake and the pesto was more like 45 seconds - however that was a tad too soon and I'd normally prefer it a little more well done.

Also feel like I'm getting a decent top/bottom balance now. This with about 2/3" collar gap and 15-20 minute high (not max) heat warmup.

Nice looking pizzas! I can see real improvement there.  Keep slinging those pies!

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4204 on: Yesterday at 03:05:12 PM »

Pies look amazing! I wouldn't worry about them being perfectly round. They have a fantastic "semi-rustic" look to them, a la Da Michelle.

The underskirts are especially impressive. My underskirts have quarter-sized black spots surrounded by lots of blonde. I'd love to know how you get such nice even spotting.

Also, how are you managing to get such fast bake times? 45 seconds? Ridiculous!!!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:06:44 PM by dbarneschi »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4205 on: Yesterday at 05:22:04 PM »

Pies look awesome...!! Take a look at http://www.unapizza.com..  probably the best in the states and they are not perfectly round. You can find perfect round ones in the Frozen section in your supermarket.... :-D   They look great...I'm hungry now.... :drool:

Chris

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4206 on: Yesterday at 05:51:17 PM »
Fired up another four pies this weekend. The goals were:

Nice. I like the wet look of the Margherita.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline cupcake

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4207 on: Yesterday at 06:44:18 PM »
Also, how are you managing to get such fast bake times? 45 seconds? Ridiculous!!!

Thanks!

The 45 sec one was a little underdone for my taste. Best times seem to be in the 55 sec - 90 sec range - depending on how hard I push the oven in the warm-up.

I'll mention that I like to cover most of the entrance with my metal peel the first 30-40 seconds or so. Not sure if that really makes a difference, though.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4208 on: Yesterday at 09:00:51 PM »
Cupcake, nice work.  As they get bigger, they usually look, and taste, better to me.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4209 on: Yesterday at 09:21:58 PM »
Hey cupcake....you have a very fun nickname.  8)

Is there a story behind it you could share?  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline daviwill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4210 on: Yesterday at 11:12:58 PM »
I added the chauflector for this week's bake which did make a difference, though not a good one IMO. I am getting bubbles in the cornice that are burning before the interior is cooked.  Launched at 825 then blasted it full bore. Sorry, didn't take pics, sorry but my pies look similar to the pics moose13 posted on the previous page, but with not always cooked interior. Is it the dough? cooking conditions? Any advise is welcomed.

thanks
Will

Offline cupcake

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4211 on: Yesterday at 11:26:09 PM »
Hey cupcake....you have a very fun nickname.  8)

Is there a story behind it you could share?  :)

Hah. No story, sorry. I just happen to be eating a cupcake as I was registering for this forum :)

Did a quick 5 hour dough today. I was sort of hoping it would be terrible so I would feel confident 2 day ferments are way better. But it wasn't bad. I'll still stick to 1-2 day ferments when time allows it, though.

Did a margherita with mushrooms and oregano. Used cheap Saputo mozz though. Making 2 pies every day is starting to add up so I figured I'd go cheap in this experimental phase. It's more about the dough and learning to use the BS properly anyways.

Now just waiting for my Ischia starter culture to arrive so I can get on the sourdough train as well! Really excited about that challenge.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4212 on: Today at 12:56:12 AM »
Nice. I like the wet look of the Margherita.
Thanks Craig. Yeah, I definitely prefer a "fork and knife" Neapolitan-style pie to a crispier one.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4213 on: Today at 07:36:24 AM »
I added the chauflector for this week's bake which did make a difference, though not a good one IMO. I am getting bubbles in the cornice that are burning before the interior is cooked.  Launched at 825 then blasted it full bore. Sorry, didn't take pics, sorry but my pies look similar to the pics moose13 posted on the previous page, but with not always cooked interior. Is it the dough? cooking conditions? Any advise is welcomed.

thanks
Will

You need to check the angle you bent the charflector and how far it sticks out over the pizza. Makes a big difference. I also move the pie around with a turning peel depending how the dough is cooking. I launch at 789-800..and full bore. when i take a pie out i turn down to the lowest setting. When i put a new dough on the marble to stretch , i go out and turn on high..i constantly am IR'ing the floor as well and adjust. . i did once use fresh cake yeast to do a emergency 8 hour dough and it did seem to get more chard on the cornice but it still cooked threw. Make sure you get your pie good and thin will help with the interior cooking.  keep at it! ;D

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4214 on: Today at 08:45:29 AM »
Here is a tip to help visualize where the Chauflector is focusing the flame: put a small amount of flour on the palm of your hand, then blow it into the baking chamber with the flame on your bake setting.  The flame becomes quite visible.

It helps to hold your hand and blow on the right side facing the oven where there is less exhaust heat (i.e. keep your eyebrows) and where the flame will route the particles to their landing zone.

Dave