Author Topic: Modified my New Wave (G3 clamshell style) oven today  (Read 750 times)

Offline islandguy

Modified my New Wave (G3 clamshell style) oven today
« on: September 25, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
I been using my $99 New Wave pizza oven for several Months now and have been having trouble getting the correct top and bottom heat.  The bottom got burnt and the top was not fully cooked.   I added the pie plate behind the top burner and this helped some, but it was still over cooked on the bottom.  I modded the Temp. Control and still couldn't get the temp right.
Today, I took the Temp. Control out and added two toggle switches.  One for top burner and one for lower.
Tonight I baked my first Pizza since the mod and I think it will work great.
I warmed the oven up for 12 min with both elements on.
I then put the Pizza on and left the bottom element on for 60 sec.
I left the top element on for another 2.5 min (3.5 total time)
The bottom was still over cooked and next time, I wii cut the time for the bottom element down to 45 sec.
My wife loved it and said don't chang anything.
I will have to play with the times till I get it right.

Offline Chris_T

• Vendor
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Modified my New Wave (G3 clamshell style) oven today
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:35:36 PM »
Can't wait to hear how you do with your ongoing mods. 

Offline islandguy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
Baked another pie today. Used same warm up time of 12 min, but cut the bottom element off after 45 sec.
Total time of 3 min.
It came out great!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:14:33 PM by islandguy »

Offline wine0holic

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
What temps have you been able to achieve?

Offline islandguy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »
I put the pizza on the stone at about 850 degrees.  It takes about 13 min for the stone surface to reach this temp.  I've been having problems with the bottom burning.  Last nigh, I turned the bottom element off after 10 sec and the pizza came out good

Offline wine0holic

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Nice. I'm going back and forth between whether to purchase the same New Wave or the Forno Magnifico. Leaning towards the new wave and doing the same mods you've done. Do you think it matters whether I get the smaller and cheaper model?

http://www.amazon.com/Newwave-Stone-Pizza-Matte-Black/dp/B00HNSUHF0/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline islandguy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
Don't really know the difference between the two.  I know that I need more heat on top.
The top never seems to get cooked enough.  As I stated in my last post,  after heating the oven up for 13 min, I turned the bottom element off when I launched the pie and took the pie out of the oven after 3.5 min.
The bottom was still over cooked and the top was under cooked.
If I was in the USA where I could find the right parts, I would convert the oven to 220 volts and put a larger heating element on top.
I seen one post where the guy put two elements on top and said they worked great.
I love the convenious of the new wave and hope I can get it working the way I want.

Online misterschu

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/all-points-34-1168-warmer-element-120v-1650w-9/AP341168.html

You could try that, there may be other cheaper sources for the same part.

When i was using the new wave I was using two elements on top (the stock elements from the box) and it drastically cut my cook times (to 90s or less), though I calculated that I was only getting 1100-1200 Watts.

I never used a bottom element because the top elements were more than enough to thoroughly heat the stone. Also, if the stone was higher than 750-800 (15-20 minute initial heat up, and 2-4 minutes between pies) when I launched the pie the bottom would be completely black by the time the pie came out.

Offline islandguy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
Misterschu
What do you think about removing the bottom element and installing it next to the top element.  I have the same problem with the bottom of the pie burning and if your New Wave worked good without ever turning the bottom element on, why buy another element? Just remove it and reinstall it in the top shell.

Online misterschu

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
Ya, that's exactly what I had going, but I think my cook time could've been cut down with a higher wattage element. The other thing is that the pacman shaped elements aren't necessarily providing heat where you want it. You'd definitely want to have them offset so that you're getting a full perimeter, but I'm not sure the effects of doubling up in the center.

I'm just assuming that your Newwave has pacman shaped elements, since that's what mine had, so I found an identical oven at a good will that had circular elements.

Offline islandguy

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
Ya, that's exactly what I had going, but I think my cook time could've been cut down with a higher wattage element. The other thing is that the pacman shaped elements aren't necessarily providing heat where you want it. You'd definitely want to have them offset so that you're getting a full perimeter, but I'm not sure the effects of doubling up in the center.

I'm just assuming that your Newwave has pacman shaped elements, since that's what mine had, so I found an identical oven at a good will that had circular elements.
The first post has a photo of my new wave oven. I notice that the link to the electric element shows a cost of $75 and the link to Amazon shows a cost of $89 for a new oven.  I'm going to take my NW oven down to the locale appliance shop today and have him move my lower element to the top.  If it don't work, I'll start over with a new NW for 80 bucks.

Offline wine0holic

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the red new wave. It should be here next week and I'll probably cook a couple pies stock first. Good luck moving the bottom element, keep me posted if you can. I'll do the same mod if you get good results.

Offline islandguy

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 11:31:17 PM »
Got my new wave back from the small appliance repair store a couple days ago and baked my first pie tonight to test out my latest mod.  I removed the bottom element and moved it to the top.  The bottom of my pie's were getting over baked and the tops were under cooked.
It came out pretty good.  One part of the upper crust was burnt, but I noticed that one of the elements was bent down closer to the crust in the burnt spot.  I also still  have the two switches on top of the unit that is connected to each element. I may have to play with the times and turn one of the elements off after a minute or so.
I preheated the stone for 14 min and took the pie out in 2.5 min, which is a lot shorter time than before