Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 35158 times)

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2014, 07:15:06 AM »
BT,  nice write up and nice photos.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »
So I flipped the polarity of the motor inside the unit to get the rotation CCW.
BT
Now you are just showing off! :-D  In the future when making posts like this please begin with "my apologies to those with less-elegant solutions but"...

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.

I like the light duty motor but think many people will strip the plastic gears because either the square keystock gets a little off after adjustment, or more likely the bushing grease gets burned off over time and the platter doesn't spin freely.  Just typing out loud, but it wouldn't surprise me if these gears were standard and one could source metal replacements.  Only serious modders would/should undertake gear replacement, but if you are reading this thread, your judgment is already suspect.

I also fancy a three position rocker for CW-off-CCW.

Dave

Offline hockeyfox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #422 on: June 13, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
Amazing all the Blackstone related threads and posts.

Back to the Rotation Mod.

For years I've used a battery operated rotisserie identical to the BS unit on my Weber kettle grill. At first I was skeptical about using batteries, but they last a long time. Having the freedom without a power cord is a plus in my eyes. So I want to use the stock battery powered BS unit. The problem with it is that it rotates clockwise (CW). So I flipped the polarity of the motor inside the unit to get the rotation CCW, soldering iron required.

BT

I just put the battery in backwards.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
I just put the battery in backwards.
This makes my short list of forehead-slapping mods.  What a simple, elegant fix for the mobile crowd.  Good for you hockeyfox!

Reader note - the wall power supply is not compatible with this reverse battery setup.  However, if you have a low friction platter (e.g. use either the lower bearing collar mount, or the thrust bearing, or keep grease on the upper bushing), two D-cells alone, installed backwards, should give you about 8 hours of use rotating the platter counter-clockwise (AKA CCW).  Why CCW you ask?  It is easier to work the edge of the pizza toward the flame to dial-in rim color.

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #424 on: June 14, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »
OK, super easy mod to change rotation.
BS motor is a simple DC unit, that is why it comes with a DC converter. All you need to do is change the polarity to the motor. If you want to get fancy you can open the motor case up and switch the 2 lead in wires...you'll have to use a soldering gun.

Bob's easy peazzy, down an dirty hack is to simply cut the cord on the AC adapter....you will see a black wire and a red wire....switch these, red to black, black to red. A couple mini wire nuts and a wrap in electrical tape and you're in binnezz.  8)

Bob
And there's always my down an dirty hack.  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ajdoebler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #425 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
It is my 1st day on the site. May I ask why one would want to reverse the rotation? Is it not symmetric? I went to buy a 'slightly used' BS off the Internet, but the motor did not spin the table, looks stripped, so got for free, and am planning on getting a replacement motor. But the floor model in the store also seemed to have trouble spinning, seems the square drive shaft does not fit the turn table socket very well. Any advice for a new user? Much appreciated, Jon

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #426 on: August 09, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »
It is my 1st day on the site. May I ask why one would want to reverse the rotation? Is it not symmetric? I went to buy a 'slightly used' BS off the Internet, but the motor did not spin the table, looks stripped, so got for free, and am planning on getting a replacement motor. But the floor model in the store also seemed to have trouble spinning, seems the square drive shaft does not fit the turn table socket very well. Any advice for a new user? Much appreciated, Jon
With the backward spin....you get to see the amount of char/donness of your pie rim.....before it enters back for another go around on the hot top oven flame.....when it looks right ,that is when you pull it and the rest of the pie will look just like that.... the stock way/clockwise can easily over char....you`ll see when you get one.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:33:45 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline daviwill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #427 on: August 10, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
Why CCW you ask?  It is easier to work the edge of the pizza toward the flame to dial-in rim color.

Dave

It's also easier to for pie placement along the border of the stone.  I've had some overhang that went through the flame - not good, not good at all.

Will

Offline Ajdoebler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #428 on: August 16, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »

Bob's easy peazzy, down an dirty hack is to simply cut the cord on the AC adapter....you will see a black wire and a red wire....switch these, red to black, black to red. A couple mini wire nuts and a wrap in electrical tape and you're in binnezz. 
Bob
That makes perfect sense! (on why CCW is better), is there a similar 3 wire (black, white, green) easy-peasy way to reverse the turn table  rotation? I do not have a soldering gun.

This is a great forum, really appreciate everyone's help.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
Bob's easy peazzy, down an dirty hack is to simply cut the cord on the AC adapter....you will see a black wire and a red wire....switch these, red to black, black to red. A couple mini wire nuts and a wrap in electrical tape and you're in binnezz. 
Bob
That makes perfect sense! (on why CCW is better), is there a similar 3 wire (black, white, green) easy-peasy way to reverse the turn table  rotation? I do not have a soldering gun.

This is a great forum, really appreciate everyone's help.
Sorry, I do not know which black, white, green wires you are referencing. If you mean the wires in your home outlet box....no, reversing those AC conductors will not reverse polarity. Only works on the DC wires coming out of your wall adapter.