Author Topic: Bakerstone Pizza Box - Tips  (Read 285 times)

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
Bakerstone Pizza Box - Tips
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
I've read all the threads that I can find on the Bakerstone but was hoping to start one with recommended approach and possible mods.  So far I have seen the following tips:
  • Remove the flavor bars from the grill
  • Preheat the Bakerstone oven with the grill lid partially closed (not recommended by manufacturer)
  • Cover outer grill area with foil to direct more heat to the oven
  • Have all burners on high but turn down the center burner to lower temp on bottom stone so it is more even with the top stone

Some other things I was thinking of trying are usin a pizza stone over the front opening to speed up preheating and possible even out cooking.  I also want to try making a metal "V" that will sit on the center burner to direct the heat away from the bottom stone and direct it to the ducts that lead to the top stone.  I encourage others to expand this list, provide feedback on possible enhancements and suggest others.  I have read a lot of people's opinion on the Bakerstone Pizza Oven but I'm just looking to get higher temps than I can in my oven (which is 500 degrees).  Thanks ahead of time!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Bakerstone Pizza Box - Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
I would think one of your biggest challenges is the open front of the box. I don't see how you can get the temperatures you want with heat flowing out the front. Maybe you can build a door of some sort?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
I completely agree. I have a spare piece of pizza stone that will make a great door. I will try it out and report back.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:16:14 AM »
How long do you preheat?  I heat my bakerstone for about 30 minutes and then turn down the burners.  This gets the oven around 600

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »
How long do you preheat?  I heat my bakerstone for about 30 minutes and then turn down the burners.  This gets the oven around 600
I just got my Bakerstone and haven't tried it yet.  I read all the threads about it on this forum and figured I would start a thread.  How are you preheating?  Grill cover partially down?  Are you covering the exposed grill grates on either side of the Bakerstone?  Hopefully I'll be able to try it out this weekend.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
I have only used it twice myself but have not varied from the standard instructions other than I preheat longer.  I think they recommend about 15 minutes and I heat for about 30.  I also use an infrared thermometer to measure temps and not the built in thermometer.  I don't close the cover or cover the exposed grates.  I think they need to be uncovered for air flow.

After the preheat my temps have been about 600 and I turn down the burners to keep the bottom from browning to quick.

It has worked really well both times.

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
Even though the assembly video on their website stated that it is OK that the back stone is loose, I didn't like the idea of that back stone banging around so I added a couple of spring clips that are normally used for a picture frame between the back stone and the back cover.  I'm hoping to try the Bakerstone Pizza Box for the first time tonight.

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:59:49 AM »
I would think one of your biggest challenges is the open front of the box. I don't see how you can get the temperatures you want with heat flowing out the front. Maybe you can build a door of some sort?
I was able to use the Bakerstone Pizza Box for the first time this weekend.  Unfortunately I changed too many things at once (new flour, new dough recipe, new oven, etc.) to get a proper read on this.  TXCraig1 was 100% right that the open front is an issue.  I set it up with all 4 burners on, the gas grill lid partially closed and my spare pizza oven stone covering the opening.  This seemed promising but the pizza stone door was too hard to place and remove once it got hot.  I'm going to try and drill a hole in it to add a handle and add some channels around the opening to hold the pizza stone in place (I'm using an extra Bakerstone side panel that I have).  I think this will go a long way in building heat in the oven.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:36:56 PM »
I have to say I  surprised because my grill only has three burners and I have no trouble maintaining 600 degree temps without any mods

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:14:02 PM »
I have to say I  surprised because my grill only has three burners and I have no trouble maintaining 600 degree temps without any mods
It was windy and while it was above 700 in rear, it was cooling down to 500'ish in the front.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:39:48 PM »
Got it, I don't have to deal with wind where I have my grill

pizzapan