Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 77701 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »
Norma,

I don't know if you ever read about my attempts to do something like you did but using the Jiffy Pizza Mix instead of the Chef Boyardee mix. The idea to do what I did with the Jiffy Pizza Mix actually came from another member, pizzoid, who had conducted an experiment with the Chef Boyardee mix, and described his results at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2106.msg36497.html#msg36497.

I described my results with the Jiffy Pizza Mix at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4652.msg38349.html#msg38349. As you can see from that thread, the Jiffy Pizza Mix was similar in many respects to the Chef Boyardee mix. Both use an enriched and malted base flour, some fat (shortening or lard), dextrose, salt, and a single leavening system along with yeast. In my case, I decided to use cold water so that I wouldn't activate the chemical leavening system and speed up the yeast activity so that the dough would overferment after one day of cold fermentation. Had the chemical leavening system been encapsulated so as to be activated only during baking, I wouldn't have had to worry as much about the water temperature.

I, of course, used my home oven. Seeing what you were able to do with your BlackStone oven leads me to believe that that oven would do a pretty good job with a Jiffy Pizza Mix cold fermented dough.

Your experiment with the Chef Boyardee mix also reminded me of a Tom Lehmann bake-to-rise dough formulation that I saw at the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/Bake-to-Rise-Pizza/record/57729/. As you can see from that recipe, it calls for essentially the same types of ingredients used for the Jiffy Pizza Mix and the Chef Boyardee mix, namely a flour (enriched and malted), water, a fat, a yeast, sugar (optional or variable), and an unencapsulated leavening system comprising baking soda and SALP. I am just thinking aloud here but maybe it would be possible to make a refrigerated or frozen form of the dough following the instructions given at the Recipe Bank, but using the Chef Boyardee mix and lowering the hydration value (because of the weaker flour), and eventually bake the pizza in the BlackStone oven.

Peter

Peter,

No, I never read of your attempts to use a Jiffy Pizza mix.  You did a great job and both pizzas looked very tasty.  I see the Jiffy Pizza Mix was similar in many respects to the Chef Boyardee mix.  You did a great job in being able to analyze what to do with your Jiffy Pizza Mix two times.

I might try a Jiffy Pizza mix in the BS with a cold ferment to see what happens.  I did have a Jiffy Pizza Mix at market for a long while and had planned to try it out there, but never got around to it.  I don't recall if it is still there, but it is probably stale if it is there.  I like to experiment with something like a mix to see what happens. 

Maybe I could also try the bake-to-rise dough formulation that you saw at the PMQ Recipe Bank, or do you think I should just try the Chef Boyardee mix, or Jiffy Pizza mix and see what happens if it is baked in the BS.  I never saw that Tom Lehmann bake-to-rise dough formulation before and always wanted to try something like a take-to-rise pizza.  .

I get a little confused about those chemical leavening systems though, but doesn't the Clabber Girl Baking Powder have both of the same ingredients as Tom's take-to-rise formulation?  I think my Clabber Girl Baking Powder is still good. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »
I might try a Jiffy Pizza mix in the BS with a cold ferment to see what happens.  I did have a Jiffy Pizza Mix at market for a long while and had planned to try it out there, but never got around to it.  I don't recall if it is still there, but it is probably stale if it is there.  I like to experiment with something like a mix to see what happens. 

Maybe I could also try the bake-to-rise dough formulation that you saw at the PMQ Recipe Bank, or do you think I should just try the Chef Boyardee mix, or Jiffy Pizza mix and see what happens if it is baked in the BS.  I never saw that Tom Lehmann bake-to-rise dough formulation before and always wanted to try something like a take-to-rise pizza.  .

I get a little confused about those chemical leavening systems though, but doesn't the Clabber Girl Baking Powder have both of the same ingredients as Tom's take-to-rise formulation?  I think my Clabber Girl Baking Powder is still good. 
Norma,

For now, I think I would stick with the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee pizza dough mixes if you would like to bake the pizzas using the BlackStone oven. If you would like to try Tom's bake to rise recipe, you might be able to use the Clabber Girl baking powder but, as shown at http://www.clabbergirl.com/commercial/ingredients/pdf/CGSASDABP.pdf, that product does not use the same chemical leavening agents as are used in the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee pizza mixes. You would perhaps have to use a product such as the WRISE product (http://www.thewrightgroup.net/images/stories/pdf/wrise/wrise_101595.pdf) since that product contains both sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), which are both in the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee products, but in encapsulated form so that the leavening agents aren't activated until the pizza is in the oven. As a professional, I would imagine that you would be able to get a sample of the WRISE product mentioned above. Otherwise, you would have to find a source of the SALP product as a standalone product. You wouldn't need to get baking soda because that is a commonly available product.

With the Clabber Girl product, which comprises sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), anhydrous sodium aluminum sulfate (SAS) and monocalcium phosphate, there will be some activation of these ingredients at the beginning to produce carbon dioxide (about 30%) but the rest of the carbon dioxide (70%) would be released during baking. To keep the reactions down, you would perhaps want to keep everything as cold as possible.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
Norma,

For now, I think I would stick with the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee pizza dough mixes if you would like to bake the pizzas using the BlackStone oven. If you would like to try Tom's bake to rise recipe, you might be able to use the Clabber Girl baking powder but, as shown at http://www.clabbergirl.com/commercial/ingredients/pdf/CGSASDABP.pdf, that product does not use the same chemical leavening agents as are used in the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee pizza mixes. You would perhaps have to use a product such as the WRISE product (http://www.thewrightgroup.net/images/stories/pdf/wrise/wrise_101595.pdf) since that product contains both sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), which are both in the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee products, but in encapsulated form so that the leavening agents aren't activated until the pizza is in the oven. As a professional, I would imagine that you would be able to get a sample of the WRISE product mentioned above. Otherwise, you would have to find a source of the SALP product as a standalone product. You wouldn't need to get baking soda because that is a commonly available product.

With the Clabber Girl product, which comprises sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), anhydrous sodium aluminum sulfate (SAS) and monocalcium phosphate, there will be some activation of these ingredients at the beginning to produce carbon dioxide (about 30%) but the rest of the carbon dioxide (70%) would be released during baking. To keep the reactions down, you would perhaps want to keep everything as cold as possible.

Peter

Peter,

I think I will try the Jiffy mix next, because it is less expensive than the Chef Boyardee Pizza mix and I sure don't like the Chef Boyardee pizza sauce. 

Right now I think I will skip trying to make Tom's bake to rise recipe, since the Clabber Girl baking powder does not use the same chemical leavening agents as are used in the Jiffy and Chef Boyardee pizza mixes.  I don't really think I want to try to get a WRISE product sample just to try a bake to rise recipe.  I still have lots of samples that are only good for a couple of test doughs.

Norma 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
Just wanted to chime in here....that ChefyBoy pizza of yours is a hoot Norma! Who in the world would have thunk...you sure do have the GBD touch girl. Now.... if you can just turn that into the "Midas Touch" we can hire Chef Boyardee himself to make pizza's for us while we tan at the Beach!!   :P
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »
Just wanted to chime in here....that ChefyBoy pizza of yours is a hoot Norma! Who in the world would have thunk...you sure do have the GBD touch girl. Now.... if you can just turn that into the "Midas Touch" we can hire Chef Boyardee himself to make pizza's for us while we tan at the Beach!!   :P

Bob,

Thanks for posting that the Chef Boyardee pizza I made was a hoot.  That would be nice to have someone make pizzas while we are at the beach.  I looked for a Jiffy mix today at the supermarket and did not find one.

The BS might get a good workout this Saturday.  Steve is having the brewmaker's picnic at his home and if the weather is good I will be taking some doughs and so will others besides Steve.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: October 04, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
These are the three kinds of dough I am taking to Steve's home to bake in the BS tomorrow.  The first dough is a De Lorenzo's clone dough ball.  The second dough is a Neapolitan dough with the Ischia starter using Craig's method of mixing.  The temperature was 67 degrees F when I opened the Styrofoam container where the dough is bulk fermenting, but the temperature quickly went up to 69 degrees F when the lid was opened because it is warm in our area now.  The bulk fermenting dough is going to be divided into 3 dough balls this evening and was made with the new GM flour.  The third dough is a NY style dough that I am trying Craig's method of mixing and then resting and doing stretch and folds before balling.  Those 3 dough balls were scaled to 13.3 ounces.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
These are the photos of the different pizzas I baked in the Blackstone unit and some of the photos of the brewmaker's picnic.  It was also Lauren's birthday party.  A lot of great pizzas were made by everyone and there sure was lots of great beers and all kinds of other drinks.  My favorite drink of the night was the orangevanillacellos.  The cherrycellos were also good as was the lemoncellos, but the orangevanillacello is something I have to try and make. 

My favorite pizza baked in the BS was the first NY style pizza.  I don't know why I did not take a photo of the whole pizza after it was baked in the BS, but for me that pizza had the right amount of crispness on the bottom and rim crust and also was very moist and tender in the rim crust.  Many different temperatures were used to baked the different pizzas in the BS.  I don't know where my mind was, but forgot to apply extra cheese on the De Lorenzo pizza when I removed it from the oven to apply olive oil on the rim crust.

There were a lot of people that were interested in the BS at the picnic and birthday party.  It was very warm and humid yesterday and only the controlled temperature doughs were kept at a constant temperature.  I had too many other things to take along to try and take coolers, but the bag that had the other dough balls in did have some of those frozen ice packs to try to keep them somewhat cool.

Norma 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:10:02 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: October 06, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Norma I wish I had 1/2 your energy!! You run circles around anyone on this Forum, AMAZING!!! :chef:

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
Norma I wish I had 1/2 your energy!! You run circles around anyone on this Forum, AMAZING!!! :chef:

jon

Jon,

Thanks I do have lots of energy, but do get tired at times.  If I get tired I just take a nap.  That dang BS was harder to get in my van yesterday before going to Steve's and I sure can't understand that.  I was sweating a lot until I finally got the main body of the BS into the van.  I also was saying a few choice words.   :-D

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »
Agreed.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2013, 07:05:34 AM »
Deb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
I made another De Lorenzo's attempt in the Blackstone unit today.  I used a frozen De Lorenzo/Sloan dough ball that had been frozen for almost 2 months.  The frozen dough ball looked a mess because I had taken some pieces out of it to do hydration tests.  I was surprised how good the De Lorenzo pizza turned out.  If anyone is interested the other photos are at Reply 869 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg283523.html#msg283523  and the next posts.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
These are a few of the photos from a De Lorenzo's tomato pie that was baked in the Blackstone unit.  If anyone is interested in seeing the other photos they are at Reply 904 and the next few posts after that.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg284391.html#msg284391 The temperature was taken up to about 658 degrees F and then dropped a little to about 651 degrees F when the tomato pie was slid into the oven.

The video was just of how fast the rim crust starts to rise in the Blackstone unit.  The video was started about 30 seconds after the tomato pie was slid into the Blackstone unit. 

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
I stumbled onto the BS oven on Cabela's today looking for something else and I was surprised that only one buyer posted a review.  I didn't buy at Cabela's (I bought from GriddleGuru) or I would have included the PizzaMaking link (Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's) so new buyers could benefit from our experience.  Is it just me or do others rely on these reviews?

FWIIW, the only reviews I find credible include the bad with the good.  I often sort on the bad reviews first and see the extent of customer problems, if they aren't too severe, then I buy. 

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
If anyone is interested I used the Daisy Organic Bread Flour to make a dough for a pizza in the Blackstone unit.  The other photos are at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28364.msg286042.html#msg286042

In my opinion this was a different style of pizza that I did not make before.  The pizza was loaded into the BS at 729 degrees F and the bake time was short.

I am still really liking the Blackstone unit.   8)

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
That's a nice looking pie Norma.  I should warn you about posting pictures like that -- Bobino's favorite style.  He'll move in.

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »
That's a nice looking pie Norma.  I should warn you about posting pictures like that -- Bobino's favorite style.  He'll move in.

Dave

Thanks Dave!  Lol about Bob moving in because it might be his favorite style.  I already have a home filled with relatives living with me.  I will give him the formulation if he want it though. 

Norma