Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 39020 times)

Offline halfprice

Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #340 on: December 19, 2013, 10:00:48 PM »
Just got mine from Cabelas and so far it looks like everything is good.  No dents that I can see and the stones are good to go.  Just checked the regulator and its 5 psi.  Hopefully it will work fine for me.  Here in So Cal I won't have the cold to deal with like some other members.  But I hate wasting propane for the warm up.  I'll see how it does and if needed I'll change it out but for now its good.

Jerry

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #341 on: December 19, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
Just got mine from Cabelas and so far it looks like everything is good.  No dents that I can see and the stones are good to go.  Just checked the regulator and its 5 psi.  Hopefully it will work fine for me.  Here in So Cal I won't have the cold to deal with like some other members.  But I hate wasting propane for the warm up.  I'll see how it does and if needed I'll change it out but for now its good.

Jerry

Jerry,

Good to hear your Blackstone unit from Cabela's looks like everything is good.  Will be watching to see the pizzas you make in your BS.

Have fun!  ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2013, 07:15:28 AM »
Wow, usually people have one or two of a common set of problems, but you seem to have hit on all of them. That sucks.

FWIW, the big box stores should purchase these by the pallet, which should, in theory, put undamaged ovens into the loading bay of the store.  How the employees treat them, though, will remain to be seen. It's possible, though, especially if they leave the ovens on the pallet for a display, that the chances of damage will diminish.

Not that it helps you, though. With that many problems, it sounds like they should send you an entirely new oven.

They aren't sending me a new oven, however they are sending me all the parts to make it right. I was able to get a pair of vice grips on the leg holes and get the holes straight enough to get the legs in the unit. Once I get a straight platter, everything else is cosmetic. The CSR was very nice to work with at blackstone, I really can't complain at all about the service. Hopefully once I get these parts i'll be good to go.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »
Glad to hear they sorted out the problems.  Get some dough in the fridge so you will be ready. Barry.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »
Glad to hear they sorted out the problems.  Get some dough in the fridge so you will be ready. Barry.

^^^ 

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
They aren't sending me a new oven, however they are sending me all the parts to make it right. I was able to get a pair of vice grips on the leg holes and get the holes straight enough to get the legs in the unit. Once I get a straight platter, everything else is cosmetic. The CSR was very nice to work with at blackstone, I really can't complain at all about the service. Hopefully once I get these parts i'll be good to go.

Save the parts for when you need them!!! Most, or a lot of companies anyway, don't want to pay the cost to ship stuff back so they can toss it. Cheaper to have the consumer toss it if you show pics of the damage unless it's something they fan fix and resell or sell as scratch and dent stuff.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: December 21, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »
Since it has become warmer in our area I wanted to fire-up the BS oven again.  I also wanted to try some different pizzas in the BS.  I have some Pillsbury Patent 4X flour so I decided to try the formula set forth at Reply 242 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176  I don't have a 10 pan, but I do have a cutter pan that is 10 across the top of the cutter pan.  I don't know if my cutter pan will be high enough. I also wanted to try a higher amount of oil in a dough so I picked the formulation at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472  but I am attempting a 14 pizza.  I am not sure how this will bake in the BS with the higher amount of olive oil in the dough.  The formulation I used had a higher amount of IDY because it will only be cold fermented for one day. 

Both doughs were mixed in the Kitchen Aid mixer.  The Greek style dough was mixed with the flat beater only and the boardwalk style dough was mixed with the flat beater and the spiral hook.  For the boardwalk style dough I did use the Pillsbury Patent 4X flour too.

I did not remember to bring any cheese home from market so I have to find some at the supermarket.

Norma     

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #347 on: December 21, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
I am not sure how this will bake in the BS with the higher amount of olive oil in the dough.  The formulation I used had a higher amount of IDY because it will only be cold fermented for one day. 

Norma   
Glad the weather is allowing you to fire up the 'ol Blackstone Norma.  :chef:
I did a thin crust on the BS last night that had 5% oil in it and it was mighty fine....hope this helps.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
Glad the weather is allowing you to fire up the 'ol Blackstone Norma.  :chef:
I did a thin crust on the BS last night that had 5% oil in it and it was mighty fine....hope this helps.

Bob,

Yes, nicer weather for today and tomorrow.  8) It might rain but I will take that chance with better weather. 

Thanks for telling me you did a thin crust on your BS last night and it had 5% oil in the dough.  What temperature did you bake?

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
Bob,

Yes, nicer weather for today and tomorrow.  8) It might rain but I will take that chance with better weather. 

Thanks for telling me you did a thin crust on your BS last night and it had 5% oil in the dough.  What temperature did you bake?

Norma
Around 520 Norma. This was my first pizza on the BS so I was playing around with the temps....just watching how it cooked it  at different heat levels. I could see that it could get away from me very quickly if I let it so I finally settled with stabilizing it at around 520-500. Then blasted it for last few seconds because I love that sound and wanted to see how fast I could get brown cheese crunchies on the top...learned a lot from it on just this one first bake. It was a lot of fun and very impressive on it's ability to be so adjustable. I played with combinations of both grill dial and regulator adjustment.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
Around 520 Norma. This was my first pizza on the BS so I was playing around with the temps....just watching how it cooked it  at different heat levels. I could see that it could get away from me very quickly if I let it so I finally settled with stabilizing it at around 520-500. Then blasted it for last few seconds because I love that sound and wanted to see how fast I could get brown cheese crunchies on the top...learned a lot from it on just this one first bake. It was a lot of fun and very impressive on it's ability to be so adjustable. I played with combinations of both grill dial and regulator adjustment.

Thanks Bob!  I am glad you are enjoying your BS and learning in the process.  8) I also love mine and have a lot to learn about baking different styles at different temperatures. 

Norma

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »

Bob, did you set your regulator 1 turn back and how low was your setting on your front dial? I haven't tried to get that low but I may try tonight.
I have 2 Ny pies and a Detroit pie I would like to try at a lower temp.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »
In my opinion both of the dough formulations I tried and both of the final pizzas were really good.  Thanks Peter!

The Greek pizza is the first sets photos and the boardwalk style pizza are the last sets of photos.  The temperature can been seen before both bakes.  The two cheese blends went well together.  I don't think I ever tried those two cheeses together before.  The cheese on both pizzas tasted very good.  I used Greek oregano on both pizzas.

I think I am going to try offering Greek style pizzas at market again.  Maybe I won't get the same results as in the BS though.  The Greek style pizza baked fast in the BS, the edges did get crispy and the bottom crust seemed about right to me.  Spinach was put on top of the sauce for the Greek pizza and both pizzas had sandwich pepperoni added last.

Move over Mack's.  >:D In my opinion this pizza I attempted was much better than a Mack's pizza.  :-D

The little kitten (Bella) in the last two photos was dropped on at my place by its mother about a month ago.  The mother is no where to be seen.  Bella is being fed in my one shed and also housed in there.  I would take her in but we have too many animals in the house right now.  I did post photos of Bella on facebook and said she needs a good home for Christmas.  So far no one wants her.

It was 56 degrees F outside when I was baking in the BS.  Can't ask for much better weather than that.  ;D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #355 on: December 21, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
Bob, did you set your regulator 1 turn back and how low was your setting on your front dial? I haven't tried to get that low but I may try tonight.
I have 2 Ny pies and a Detroit pie I would like to try at a lower temp.
j, I tried all sorts of different settings/combo's but really, the easiest way to work this is just screw regulator all in and work the dial on the unit. I was pleasantly surprised after reading some early on posts where folks were saying it was difficult to get a lower temp bake on this Beast.....heck, with mine I can maintain just barely a trickle of flame out of the burner. Once you get up into pizza cooking temp range for the type of pie you are doing you would have to be one heck of a particular person to ever need to manipulate the regulator(if going up or down on grill knob was giving you too much or too little).....but yes, that tank regulator can make some very miniscule changes if you feel so inclined.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: December 21, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
The only mod that my BS has for these two pizzas is the bearing mod.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #358 on: December 21, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
Wow Norma...WOW!!  That Greek pie is beautiful and I'm so happy for you that you have a "better than Manco's" pizza you can make right at home anytime now.  :chef:
That BS oven is a trip man.  8)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »
Wow Norma...WOW!!  That Greek pie is beautiful and I'm so happy for you that you have a "better than Manco's" pizza you can make right at home anytime now.  :chef:
That BS oven is a trip man.  8)

Thanks Bob!  I agree that the BS is better than other ovens I have tried.

Norma