Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 45092 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
Those pies are awesome Norma. You guys should get a commission from Blackstone. I am so tempted.

jb

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 09:26:17 AM »
Those pies are awesome Norma. You guys should get a commission from Blackstone. I am so tempted.

jb

Go for it Jr.  It's great. It's improved my pizzas so much. Not to mention not having to turn the oven on for an hour ahead of time and heating up the house in the middle of summer.  Many benefits! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
I've paid WAY more for stuff that was WAY bad, this seemed like a no brainer for the 370ish bucks

^^^  That's the truth. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
I've paid WAY more for stuff that was WAY bad, this seemed like a no brainer for the 370ish bucks

Jon,

Since I am semi-retired and only working one day a week the BS gave me pause if I really should be spending money for one, but I am now happy I did purchase the BS.  I don't purchase many new expensive toys for myself.  My vehicle has over 200,000 miles on it.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
Go for it Jr.  It's great. It's improved my pizzas so much. Not to mention not having to turn the oven on for an hour ahead of time and heating up the house in the middle of summer.  Many benefits! 

Regards,

TinRoof

I agree 100% with TinRoof jb, go for it!   ;D  I also like no heating up the kitchen with the regular oven and the BS is so quick to heat up.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
Ha, my toyota t100 is just at that 200,000mi point and my corolla has 130,000, rosie's POS volkswagon beetle 2001year has 44000 and she want a new one, she don't like it anymore :'(. Funny I told if she bought that pos she'll have to deal with it. Didn't speak to her for three monthhs REALLY, she went with her sister behind my back and bought it. House turned to ice for awhile  :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »
Ha, my toyota t100 is just at that 200,000mi point and my corolla has 130,000, rosie's POS volkswagon beetle 2001year has 44000 and she want a new one, she don't like it anymore :'(. Funny I told if she bought that pos she'll have to deal with it. Didn't speak to her for three monthhs REALLY, she went with her sister behind my back and bought it. House turned to ice for awhile  :-D

jon

Jon,

Thanks for telling me your stories about your vehicles and your wife’s vehicle.  The house turned to ice for awhile gave me a good chuckle, even though I know that wasn't pleasant for you.   

I recently gave a Dodge with 88,000 miles on it to my granddaughter that my mother had given to me a few years ago because she didn't need two cars after my father passed away.  Somehow a belt came loose and my granddaughter had someone that didn't really know what they were doing put it back on.  I think the guy left some kind of tool in there somewhere.  It now makes a loud noise when it is started and I hope the engine isn't ruined.  I now have to decide if I want to get it towed to my garage and see what is wrong with it.  The Dodge is is Lancaster right now.  I know the Dodge was taken care of really good because my late father always took good care of his cars because he was a mechanic.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
I mixed two NY style doughs at one time yesterday morning using the All Trumps flour and used the method of delayed addition of the olive oil in the mix.  My home mixer Kitchen Aid mixer doesn't mix as good as my mixer at market and I used speed 2 to have all the ingredients incorporated in 1 ½ minutes and had to use the flat beater.  The dough was then left to rest for 10 minutes before the olive oil was drizzled in.  There was a little bit of trouble with the olive oil wanting to become incorporated, but the final mix was 4 ½ minutes with the dough hook.  The formulation I used is below.  I scaled each dough to 15 oz. before balling.  The final dough temperature was 76.4 degrees F.  I wasn't sure what percentage of IDY to use because more people are in and out of the fridge now, but the dough balls appear to be fermenting okay until I can make the pizzas later on this afternoon or early evening.  The photo of the dough in the KA mixer is before the rest period and before the olive oil was added

I made Tom Lehmann “secret” recipe for his Alfredo sauce last evening.  If anyone is interested where he posted that recipe it is at Reply 9 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26496.msg270108.html#msg270108  Tom's secret Alfredo garlic sauce is very good and I used some of it to put over pasta last evening.  The taste of the Alfredo sauce is very fresh and the basil does add a very nice twist.  ;D I am going to use Tom's Alfredo sauce on one of the pizzas and make a “Smokey Joe” pizza like Steve (Ev) makes. 

I brought home one wooden peel home from market that is broken on the one side.  That wooden peel is still over 16”.  I might try to cut the peel down with my jigsaw.  I am not sure if I can load a 16” pizza on the BS stone when it is rotating, but I guess that is what I am will try to do.

I purchased some 1/4” stainless steel washers yesterday.  What I wondered if anyone thinks I should put them under the bottom stone in the BS for a better bottom crust bake for the NY style pizzas.  I also wondered if any members might have an idea of what temperature the bottom stone should be when trying to load these pizzas.  The one other dough ball will be used for a regular tomato sauce and cheese NY style pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
I worked on my old wooden peel and now it is a little over 16”.  The angle the photo was taken at really isn't accurate in how big the wooden peel is now.  In my opinion that is going to be hard to load the pizza off the wooden peel onto the BS bottom stone.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
You have experience on your side Norma...I'll bet you do just fine.  ;)
btw, do you know the exact size of the BS bottom stone?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »
You have experience on your side Norma...I'll bet you do just fine.  ;)
btw, do you know the exact size of the BS bottom stone?

Bob,

Thanks for having confidence in what I can do, but many times in my home oven I didn't land a pizza on a 16” stone right and even had smoke alarms going off different times from cheese or sauce melting onto the bottom coils of my home oven, or the oven floor.  :-D It is a lot different at market when loading a pizza onto the stone.  There is a lot more room for error on a big stone.  Loading that 16” pizza onto the stone is kind of making me nervous now.  My other grill is right across from my BS is and it will be hard to try to load those pizzas.  There is also that little metal lip so the pizza can't be loaded right.   

I took the bottom stone out and it measures 16”.  Again, the angle I shot the photo at doesn't show the correct size.

Norma

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
16.5" diameter (at least mine is).

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »

Jim

Jim,

I will have to get out my regular measuring tape to see what my bottom stone really measures.  I was too lazy to get it out before.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
See there Norma...you got a whole .5in to play /miss by.  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
Norma, you have a lot more courage than me, I generally find that 14 to 14 1/2 is a comfortable size -  16 would leave virtually no margin for error.  In terms of bottom stone, it is not as conductive as cordierite, but for my pies,  I found 850 is too high -  750 is a great temp for a 2 to 2 1/2 minute bake.  On cordierite with my electric pizza oven,  I find 600 to 650 is good for a bottom stone temp with a bake time in the 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »

Jim

Jim,

You were correct in that the bottom BS stone is 16 ½”.  What about that part that slopes around the edges?  Can that sloping edge really be counted? 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »
See there Norma...you got a whole .5in to play /miss by.  :-D

Bob,

Maybe not the whole .5 in to play around with, or miss by.  I would bet that I will miss the target.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »
Norma, you have a lot more courage than me, I generally find that 14 to 14 1/2 is a comfortable size -  16 would leave virtually no margin for error.  In terms of bottom stone, it is not as conductive as cordierite, but for my pies,  I found 850 is too high -  750 is a great temp for a 2 to 2 1/2 minute bake.  On cordierite with my electric pizza oven,  I find 600 to 650 is good for a bottom stone temp with a bake time in the 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.

Barry,

I really don't have more courage than you, but just want to see if a 16" pizza can be made by me.  I know a 16" pizza would leave virtually no room for error. 

Thanks for telling me what temperatures you use.  ;)  I might try between 600 to 650 degrees F for the first pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
This is what I meant in how close my other BBQ grill is to my BS and how I think that also might give me problems.  I would move my other grill, but the wheels rusted off (and they were just quickly put under the other BBQ grill) and I don't have anyone at home now that can help me move the other BBQ grill.  This is also what I meant about the metal lip and how it also might give problems it the pizzas aren't loaded exactly right off a 16” wooden peel.  I tried a few practice launches with a pizza not on the peel and if not loaded exactly right that lip gets in my way.  Maybe other members might not have the same problem though

Norma

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
Norma,

Once you get this 16" pie launch perfected, your granddaughter needs to take a video of it so we all can watch!  :D

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

pizzapan