Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 42666 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
Norma, you have a lot more courage than me, I generally find that 14 to 14 1/2 is a comfortable size -  16 would leave virtually no margin for error.  In terms of bottom stone, it is not as conductive as cordierite, but for my pies,  I found 850 is too high -  750 is a great temp for a 2 to 2 1/2 minute bake.  On cordierite with my electric pizza oven,  I find 600 to 650 is good for a bottom stone temp with a bake time in the 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
Barry, I wonder how a 16in Cordierite stone would act on the BS for doing NY,DS, Thin crust, cracker, etc.(a good preheat then oven turned down low)?

Norma.....have faith and say a prayer, then make sure you open your eyes during the launch.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
Jim,

… What about that part that slopes around the edges?  Can that sloping edge really be counted? 

Norma

With trying to land a 16" pie on it, you better believe I'd be countin' the sloping portion. :-D  Having a little bit of "real estate" for placement error is better than having it landing on the rim of the turntable. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
Norma.....have faith and say a prayer, then make sure you open your eyes during the launch.  ;D

…or how they do it with target shooting. Same thing, you're aiming for a target! Take a deep breath and SLOWLY release it as you launch the pizza. One fluid motion. Remember the peel is but an extension of your hand. After a while, it will be ZEN and you will be able to close your eyes too!

Jim

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »
…or how they do it with target shooting. Same thing, you're aiming for a target! Take a deep breath and SLOWLY release it as you launch the pizza. One fluid motion. Remember the peel is but an extension of your hand. After a while, it will be ZEN and you will be able to close your eyes too!

Jim
Good instruction Jim but you forgot to say "Take care!"    :-D

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
Good instruction Jim but you forgot to say "Take care!"    :-D

:-D :-D :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
Norma,

Once you get this 16" pie launch perfected, your granddaughter needs to take a video of it so we all can watch!  :D

Jim

Jim,

I can ask my granddaughter if she would take a video sometime she is home if I get the 16" pie launch perfected.  My oldest daughter and my granddaughter went to Seaside Heights, NJ today.  I hope they bring me back a slice of Maruca's pizza, but they told me good luck on that one.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
Norma,

How far back does your peel go in before the leading outside corners hit the shield? Since you are cutting up your peel anyway, you could always cut the curve at the front of the peel to match the curve of the stone or the curve at the back of the shield if you can't get in far enough. That way you would be assured you were getting it in far enough to launch the pizza at the very edge of the stone in the back. Just trace the curve of the stone or the shield onto your peel, cut and shape the sloped edge with a file. Take care!

Jim

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
Norma,

How far back does your peel go in before the leading outside corners hit the shield? Since you are cutting up your peel anyway, you could always cut the curve at the front of the peel to match the curve of the stone or the curve at the back of the shield if you can't get in far enough. That way you would be assured you were getting it in far enough to launch the pizza at the very edge of the stone in the back. Just trace the curve of the stone or the shield onto your peel, cut and shape the sloped edge with a file. Take care!

Jim

Jim,

I am not sure if these photos will help you see how far my wooden peel goes in the BS before the leading outside corners hit the shield, but I already cut off some on the front leading edge.  The peel can go back to the shield with the front edge.  I think it can be seen in the last photo that I don't have a lot that might be able to be cut off if I want to make a 16” pizza.  I am not going to cut any more off right now, because I am soon ready to heat up the BS.  Do you think I can cut off much more for the next time I try a 16” pizza?  Your idea is good if you think I can cut off more.  If I measure from the front of the leading edge to the back it is only a little over 16”.  I did taper the front edges some.

Norma

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »
Hi Norma,

What you have now looks perfect. Your pizzas should have a SMOOTH entry onto the stone. Let us know how it goes. Take care!

Jim

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »
Hi Norma,

What you have now looks perfect. Your pizzas should have a SMOOTH entry onto the stone. Let us know how it goes. Take care!

Jim

Jim,

Good to hear you think the pizzas should have a smooth entry onto the stone.  I am not sure how I will do though.  :-\

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »
Jim,

You were right!  ;D The pizzas weren't that bad to load on the BS bottom stone.  Thanks for your help on that!  ;)  I was only off a little in loading the pizzas in both of the bakes.  I sure don't know why but I took my 16” metal peel out the first time to try and position the pizza better on the stone if it was exactly centered as soon as the skin set.  That peel sure didn't work out well for positioning the pizza better, but it did the job okay when the bottom skin was set a little.  I don't think there is any way the pizza would slide off the stone like some of my pizzas did in my home oven.  The heat shield takes care of that. 

I loaded the first cheese and sauce pizza at 696 degrees F.  In my opinion that is a little too hot for the formulation I used for a NY style pizza.  The pizza was good though and the crumb was moist.  The bottom crust was crispy.

The “Smokey Joe” pizza sure baked well at the temperature of 637 degrees F.  The crumb was even moister than the first pizza.  I had taken my 14” aluminum peel out for the second pizza and that worked much better in positioning the pizza right on the stone as soon as the skin was set.   

I found it interesting that the “Smokey Joe” pizza was something like Best Pizza was, but better in the flavor of the crust, moister in the crumb and crisper on the bottom crust.  For such a short fermentation time there sure was a good taste in the crust.  The bottom crust sure was nice and crispy, but so easy to bite.  I think this was the best NY style pizza I have ever eaten.    ;D

I could see someone taking the BS mobile to make NY style pizzas.  >:D

Both of my dough balls had a little bit of a bubble on top after they warmed up, but I pinched them closed.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »
Tom Lehmann's garlic Alfredo sauce was also very tasty!  ;D  Thanks Tom!  Thanks Steve too for giving me the idea to make a "Smokey Joe" pizza like you do!

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Yes Ma'am....that's how ya do it!  :drool:

Offline redox

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
Very, very nice pies, Norma. Just, Wow!  :drool:

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
Oh yeah, Norma's on a roll!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2013, 08:59:45 PM »
Yes Ma'am....that's how ya do it!  :drool:

Very, very nice pies, Norma. Just, Wow!  :drool:

Oh yeah, Norma's on a roll!

Thanks Bob, Jay and Jim!

I think I like NY style pizzas best now since I have the BS to experiment with, but I can always change my mind. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »
I talked to the Flea and Antique manager at market today and I am going on my “first date”  :-* with my BS since bringing the BS home.  I might also be able to go to another event at Root's for one day with the BS and do something for charity, but I have to wait and see about that.

Maybe members can help me think up a name for my BS.  I am not sure what I want to call it, but guess it will be a mans name since I am going on a date with the BS. 

I think I am only going to make 15” NY style pizzas.  I know I mentioned in another one of my threads that I wouldn't ever do something like this anymore, but I want to let people know how pizzas taste that are baked in the BS.  >:D  Guess I better practice some more.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
those look great Norma