Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 48486 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #520 on: March 16, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »
Thanks for the additional photos, Norma, although by now, you know that I am not to be trusted.  The ‘snow request’ was Southern bait from a ne’er-do-well.  The scheme was to pilfer a doughball from 'makin moves' and post a scenic pie picture that would goad members in PA, NZ, and AU.  It mostly worked except the pie.  At this point, I've decided not to file for trademark protection on Davez Wartz. :chef:

Lol Dave,

Is that your pie from the BS, or was it a MakinMoves pie?  Love the scenery too!  ;D  This year has been tough on a lot of people all over the country.

I might be able to post a snow photo of my BS tomorrow if you are interested.  It is supposed to snow.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:48:26 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
Dave,

Just for you the snow photo.  :-D

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #522 on: March 17, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »
Lol Dave,

Is that your pie from the BS, or was it a MakinMoves pie?  Love the scenery too!  ;D  This year has been tough on a lot of people all over the country.

I might be able to post a snow photo of my BS tomorrow if you are interested.  It is supposed to snow.

Norma
Hi Norma,
The pie was a MakinMoves doughball cooked on my BS.  I was keen to give it a try because MM was getting nice char points (wartz) in their WFO - so the question was: how would it do in my BS.  You might remember that I often throw Whole Foods, whole grain dough (easy, healthy, like the earthy flavor), but it doesn't char like 00.

The result with MM dough in my BS was that I nailed the underside char, but not so much the topside.  The center cheese was mostly absent of brownspots, but the rim was a little overcharred with few wartz.  I might need to throw a bunch of doughballs to dial in the result.  No rush, I've got plenty to do right now.

Sorry about the sunshine tease.  You are right that cold weather has been tough on many, and although I use to live in Alaska, I'm a bit out of touch these days.

Time to close, I see that you posted a new reply with a snow photo.  (Edit addition: It maybe a little cold, but I see the beauty, and it brings back memories of riding the toboggan in AK towed behind dads car.  And I do like tractors!)

Best,

Dave
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:20:57 AM by Tampa »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
Hi Norma,
The pie was a MakinMoves doughball cooked on my BS.  I was keen to give it a try because MM was getting nice char points (wartz) in their WFO - so the question was: how would it do in my BS.  You might remember that I often throw Whole Foods, whole grain dough (easy, healthy, like the earthy flavor), but it doesn't char like 00.

The result with MM dough in my BS was that I nailed the underside char, but not so much the topside.  The center cheese was mostly absent of brownspots, but the rim was a little overcharred with few wartz.  I might need to throw a bunch of doughballs to dial in the result.  No rush, I've got plenty to do right now.

Sorry about the sunshine tease.  You are right that cold weather has been tough on many, and although I use to live in Alaska, I'm a bit out of touch these days.

Time to close, I see that you posted a new reply with a snow photo.  (Edit addition: It maybe a little cold, but I see the beauty, and it brings back memories of riding the toboggan in AK towed behind dads car.  And I do like tractors!)

Best,

Dave

Dave,

I do recall that you use Whole Foods whole grain dough sometimes.  Thanks for telling us that was a MakingMoves dough ball baked in your BS.  I have problems getting consistent results with different formulations and different bake temperatures.  You are right, that there is no need to rush in getting exactly the right results we want, or at least to try.

I really don't mind the sunshine tease.  I did not now you live in Alaska at one time.  :o That was a nice touch in that you had memories of riding a toboggan towed behind your dads car.

Norma

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
That's a great looking spot and pie Dave!   Our summer is rapidly giving way to autumn down here...  we only get a few days of snow per year tops, but I hear the BS makes a pretty good outdoor heater :)

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #525 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Decided to try a thin crust before I go north to work and leave the blackstone in sunny Florida , I used the recipe from DKM here on the forum, I don't think it turned out too bad with my very limited experience with fresh dough......Casper is quality control around here and he passed this with flying colors

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
Decided to try a thin crust before I go north to work and leave the blackstone in sunny Florida , I used the recipe from DKM here on the forum, I don't think it turned out too bad with my very limited experience with fresh dough......Casper is quality control around here and he passed this with flying colors
Dang Carnie, you barely broke that oven in.  Nice pie!  It's a good thing that Papageorgio hasn't seen that picture.  Your creation is quite similar to what he makes, and last time he had me over, I'm pretty sure I ate more pizza than he did.  I guess what I'm saying is that since he moved, Papageorgio isn't that far away and may still be looking for a fellow pie eater to best. ;D

Any chance that Casper is a Spitz (that's what I had growing up)?

Dave
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:33:08 PM by Tampa »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #527 on: March 18, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »

Carnie,

Your thin crust pizza looks good!  I also like Casper.

Norma

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Dang Carnie, you barely broke that oven in.  Nice pie!  It's a good thing that Papageorgio hasn't seen that picture.  Your creation is quite similar to what he makes, and last time he had me over, I'm pretty sure I ate more pizza than he did.  I guess what I'm saying is that since he moved, Papageorgio isn't that far away and may still be looking for a fellow pie eater to best. ;D

Any chance that Casper is a Spitz (that's what I had growing up)?

Dave

Casper is an American Eskimo, 13 years young !!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Yep, that is a damn good looking pizza Carnie.  :chef:
Your room is a mess though....let's get that cleaned up before I sic Casper on you.  :-D

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #530 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
Casper is an American Eskimo, 13 years young !!
Indeed we had one of those in Juneau (hard to find in the snow).
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »
Dave,

This photo is for you since you seem to like snow photos of the BS.  :P It was raining a lot the last two days and then did snow last evening.  Hopefully this was our “onion snow”.  I would have liked to bake in the BS this past weekend but that wasn't possible.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #532 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
Norma - what is onion snow?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:32 AM »
Norma - what is onion snow?

Deb,

I guess the words “onion snow” are only related to Pa.  http://www.ydr.com/ci_17750904  That was  the farmer in me that made me use those words since I always associated the onion snow as the last snow of the season.  I know farmers have already planted onions in our area.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: April 10, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
This Star Tavern attempt almost reminded me of a Greek style pizza.  I did not have my cut off pan at home so I used the regular pan and did oil the pan.  The dough was a 10 day old cold fermented dough that I just didn't find time to use.  I thought the dough ball held up well after 10 days of cold fermentation without doing any special mix, and the amount of ADY added was the regular amount I had used for a one day cold ferment.  There were no speckles on top of the dough ball. 

This also was my first garden pizza of the year.  The chives are growing well.  The other dressings were spinach put down right on the skin, then the blend of Sorrento whole milk mozzarella and Biazzo part skim mozzarella, cut chives, red and yellow sweet peppers, grape tomatoes, Sclafani crushed tomatoes (straight out of the can and put on in dollops), then more of the blend of cheeses and Greek oregano sprinkled on top.

The dough rolled out very well and did not tear at all when transferring it into the pan.  It can be seen what temperature the pie was loaded onto the stone and how much the temperature on the stone dropped after loading the pie in the pan.  The pie was easy to transfer out of the pan onto the pizza pan and back into the oven again.  There was a little mess on the stone from some cheese melting during the second bake but it was not as bad as when I tried a Star Tavern pizza at market.  The bottom crust had decent browning and was crispy.     

I enjoyed this pie very much and really liked the fresh taste of the Sclafani crushed tomatoes applied in dollops instead of the traditional way of saucing a pizza.  I also enjoyed the caramelized edges.  I ate all but two slices.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »
Norma
That looks quite tasty!  Love the second bake results.
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: April 11, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
That looks quite tasty!  Love the second bake results.
Dave

Thanks Dave!  That is somewhat how Star does the bake in doing one bake in the pan and then a second bake on the stone.  Star's cut-off pans are easier for sliding the pie off though.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #539 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
A friend of mine ask me if I would make 15 dough balls for a surprise birthday party.  I said I would and he came to market to pick them up.  The formulation can be seen.  I made two extra dough balls for myself to try out tomorrow.  I wanted to try to get a lower dough temperature to see how much the dough balls ferment until tomorrow.  The final dough temperature can be seen.  I did put poppy seeds on the one dough ball so I can see how much it ferments until tomorrow.

Norma

pizzapan