Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 77071 times)

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #525 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Decided to try a thin crust before I go north to work and leave the blackstone in sunny Florida , I used the recipe from DKM here on the forum, I don't think it turned out too bad with my very limited experience with fresh dough......Casper is quality control around here and he passed this with flying colors

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
Decided to try a thin crust before I go north to work and leave the blackstone in sunny Florida , I used the recipe from DKM here on the forum, I don't think it turned out too bad with my very limited experience with fresh dough......Casper is quality control around here and he passed this with flying colors
Dang Carnie, you barely broke that oven in.  Nice pie!  It's a good thing that Papageorgio hasn't seen that picture.  Your creation is quite similar to what he makes, and last time he had me over, I'm pretty sure I ate more pizza than he did.  I guess what I'm saying is that since he moved, Papageorgio isn't that far away and may still be looking for a fellow pie eater to best. ;D

Any chance that Casper is a Spitz (that's what I had growing up)?

Dave
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:33:08 PM by Tampa »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #527 on: March 18, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »

Carnie,

Your thin crust pizza looks good!  I also like Casper.

Norma

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Dang Carnie, you barely broke that oven in.  Nice pie!  It's a good thing that Papageorgio hasn't seen that picture.  Your creation is quite similar to what he makes, and last time he had me over, I'm pretty sure I ate more pizza than he did.  I guess what I'm saying is that since he moved, Papageorgio isn't that far away and may still be looking for a fellow pie eater to best. ;D

Any chance that Casper is a Spitz (that's what I had growing up)?

Dave

Casper is an American Eskimo, 13 years young !!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Yep, that is a damn good looking pizza Carnie.  :chef:
Your room is a mess though....let's get that cleaned up before I sic Casper on you.  :-D

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #530 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
Casper is an American Eskimo, 13 years young !!
Indeed we had one of those in Juneau (hard to find in the snow).
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »
Dave,

This photo is for you since you seem to like snow photos of the BS.  :P It was raining a lot the last two days and then did snow last evening.  Hopefully this was our “onion snow”.  I would have liked to bake in the BS this past weekend but that wasn't possible.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #532 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
Norma - what is onion snow?
Deb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:32 AM »
Norma - what is onion snow?

Deb,

I guess the words “onion snow” are only related to Pa.  http://www.ydr.com/ci_17750904  That was  the farmer in me that made me use those words since I always associated the onion snow as the last snow of the season.  I know farmers have already planted onions in our area.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: April 10, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
This Star Tavern attempt almost reminded me of a Greek style pizza.  I did not have my cut off pan at home so I used the regular pan and did oil the pan.  The dough was a 10 day old cold fermented dough that I just didn't find time to use.  I thought the dough ball held up well after 10 days of cold fermentation without doing any special mix, and the amount of ADY added was the regular amount I had used for a one day cold ferment.  There were no speckles on top of the dough ball. 

This also was my first garden pizza of the year.  The chives are growing well.  The other dressings were spinach put down right on the skin, then the blend of Sorrento whole milk mozzarella and Biazzo part skim mozzarella, cut chives, red and yellow sweet peppers, grape tomatoes, Sclafani crushed tomatoes (straight out of the can and put on in dollops), then more of the blend of cheeses and Greek oregano sprinkled on top.

The dough rolled out very well and did not tear at all when transferring it into the pan.  It can be seen what temperature the pie was loaded onto the stone and how much the temperature on the stone dropped after loading the pie in the pan.  The pie was easy to transfer out of the pan onto the pizza pan and back into the oven again.  There was a little mess on the stone from some cheese melting during the second bake but it was not as bad as when I tried a Star Tavern pizza at market.  The bottom crust had decent browning and was crispy.     

I enjoyed this pie very much and really liked the fresh taste of the Sclafani crushed tomatoes applied in dollops instead of the traditional way of saucing a pizza.  I also enjoyed the caramelized edges.  I ate all but two slices.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »
Norma
That looks quite tasty!  Love the second bake results.
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: April 11, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
That looks quite tasty!  Love the second bake results.
Dave

Thanks Dave!  That is somewhat how Star does the bake in doing one bake in the pan and then a second bake on the stone.  Star's cut-off pans are easier for sliding the pie off though.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #539 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
A friend of mine ask me if I would make 15 dough balls for a surprise birthday party.  I said I would and he came to market to pick them up.  The formulation can be seen.  I made two extra dough balls for myself to try out tomorrow.  I wanted to try to get a lower dough temperature to see how much the dough balls ferment until tomorrow.  The final dough temperature can be seen.  I did put poppy seeds on the one dough ball so I can see how much it ferments until tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
The two dough balls that were made yesterday at market (0.50% IDY) with a lower final dough temperature did double in volume, until almost the same time today as they were made yesterday.  After the dough balls were tempered for an 1hr. 45 minutes they more than doubled in volume.  Were they were tempering the ambient room temperature was 68 degrees F.  I think the experiment shows a little higher dough temperature is not needed for a one day cold ferment.  The dough balls stayed in the prep fridge yesterday until I was ready to go home.  I did put the dough balls in a cooler with ice to bring them home.

I took two photos to show how the stone on the Blackstone can easily be cleaned by flipping the stone over.  The first photo of the bottom stone was from the last time I used the BS.  The next photo is after I flipped the stone over.  The part of the stone with the mess will take a few bakes to get like the flipped side.  The stone in the second to last photo is messed up some again because I reheated a few slices there after baking the whole pizzas.

I also took a video to show how long the pizza took to bake and also how I rotated it to try and get an even bake.  I did rotate too much to the hot side, near the end of the bake, so the first bake was not an even bake.  The bake time at right around 647 degrees F almost was 5:00 minutes.  Both pizzas were rotated with my BBQ spatula.  I did not try the get the rim crust to bake evenly in the second bake.   
The rim crust was nice and light on both pizzas.  The first pizza was a cheese pizza and the second pizza was a pepperoni pizza.  The pepperoni was nuked to get some of the fat off on paper towels.  The first batch of pepperoni that was being nuked was nuked too long and it became very crispy like bacon.  I ate that without being on a pizza.

The lilacs are starting to bloom and make the outside smell good.  I just got done baking in about the right amount of time.  It started to rain heavily about 15 minutes after the last bake.

My yard and hill are covered with many dandelions and weeds.  I have to soon get busy trying to get rid of them.

When the video is done uploading I will post it.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #541 on: May 03, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #542 on: May 03, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #543 on: May 03, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #544 on: May 03, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: May 03, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »
I didn't notice until I watched the video but there was some kind of black pieces on the stone that got there during the bake.  I guess those black pieces were the GM flour I used to flour the peel.  If someone thinks they were something else let me know.  This is the video of the first bake.   

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #546 on: May 04, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
I didn't notice until I watched the video but there was some kind of black pieces on the stone that got there during the bake.  I guess those black pieces were the GM flour I used to flour the peel.  If someone thinks they were something else let me know.  This is the video of the first bake.   

Norma
Love the video, Norma.  Masterful job of running the oven which resulted in one hot mess.  Yum!

I follow your process for multi-minute bakes - launch at about 700F, with burner on low, and work the pie as necessary for color.  The only difference for me is that my rotisserie motor spins the other way.

I didn't note any black pieces, but i did notice that your bearing setup seems quite free-wheeling and well-tuned.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #547 on: May 04, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
 norma, that is a great tutorial. have you ever thought of putting a book norma's pm.com guide to everything pizza :chef:   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #548 on: May 04, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
Love the video, Norma.  Masterful job of running the oven which resulted in one hot mess.  Yum!

I follow your process for multi-minute bakes - launch at about 700F, with burner on low, and work the pie as necessary for color.  The only difference for me is that my rotisserie motor spins the other way.

I didn't note any black pieces, but i did notice that your bearing setup seems quite free-wheeling and well-tuned.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks! 

I don't recall, but do you used the standard rotisserie motor that came with your BS? 

As for the black pieces, I should have taken a photo after the BS was fired-up and when I was measuring temperatures.  The stone was clean after it was flipped.  When I went outside, to last check the temperatures, to see if they were stable there were some dark specks on the stone.  I then wondered if some how something was burning off from the flame hitting the sides, or somewhere else.  I blew them off and did not look for them when I loaded the pie.  I don't think there were any more then.  At about 1:25 minutes into the video and from there on the one side of the stone is where the black pieces are.  If any paint or metal is burning off I sure would not want to be eating them.   

Do you make many NY pizzas in your BS?  I have problems trying to get an even brown bottom bake on any NY pizzas.   The pizzas were somewhat crispy when cut, but not crispy enough on the bottom crust for me.  I do like the good oven spring in the BS, but would like to try to get a more brown even bottom crust.  It seems to me that the bottom crust is almost like a Neapolitan pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: May 04, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
norma, that is a great tutorial. have you ever thought of putting a book norma's pm.com guide to everything pizza :chef:

Larry,

Thanks!  No, I have never thought about putting together a pm.com guide to everything about pizza.  I still have much to learn.  As you know the journey never ends in all the variables.  Most members would be using different flours, different mixers, different amounts of yeast, different kinds of leavenings, different ovens, different temperatures, different mix techniques, etc., etc.  I still don't understand how to optimize my BS for different styles of pizzas and also don't really understand how to optimize my deck oven for the best pizzas.  I still have many pizzas that don't turn out like I would like them to.  :-D

Norma