Author Topic: NY state cheese  (Read 483 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

NY state cheese
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
I'm spending the week in the far northern reaches of NY state, home of dairy farms and cheesemakers. Northern NY is known for their cheese curds, the building blocks of future cheddars. I also know a secret place that makes mozzarella, and I'll be stocking up! Did you know that at one time NY was the biggest cheese producing state in the nation. I wish we would regain that title from Wisconsin.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: NY state cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
Enjoy the trip - I know I'd be stocking up as well!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »
I also know a secret place that makes mozzarella, and I'll be stocking up!
There's a clandestine cabal of cheese makers? Does Dan Brown know about this? Those dirty curds, no whey will they get away with this!
Ok, that's enough obvious puns.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
There's a clandestine cabal of cheese makers? Does Dan Brown know about this? Those dirty curds, no whey will they get away with this!
Ok, that's enough obvious puns.

:-D  DMC and I are always on a quest for squeaky cheese curds.  And well cheese in general.  NYS does have some wonderful cheese makers.  Wake Robin Farm in Jordan, NY makes some wonderful ones.  I just wish that they made their brie style cheese year round.  It's just a holiday specialty right now. 

I must say I had a blast in Houston going to Dairy Maids and Central Market for cheese, not to mention sharing some wonderful asiagos from my local Italian store.  Please don't ask me to choose between bread and cheese--it's just not fair.

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »
Please don't ask me to choose between bread and cheese--it's just not fair.
That's why bread & cheese pair up so well together. And, of course, wine! In wino veritas (winos tell the truth?).

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
Ellsworth WI has some of the best around and thankfully not that far from me, about a 25 mi, VERY pretty drive. Curd have to be FRESH though. They start to lose their squeek as the get older........unlike us who get MORE squeeks as we age :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan