Author Topic: Help with Oven Spring  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Help with Oven Spring
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
Sonny,

I did not take your comments as a criticism of Tom or me. I just felt that it is important for members, and especially new members, to understand that there are limitations on what they should expect and that can be delivered to them on this forum.

I agree that it would be nice to have a Pizza 101 dissertation on the forum, but since no one on this forum is paid for what they do, that would mean that someone would have to volunteer to write such a dissertation. Volunteering is one thing, but knowing enough about a particular subject to volunteer on, and be willing to do it, is another thing. Most of our members have jobs and families and obligations and other interests that limit what they can do on the forum.

Peter

Offline robert193

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
hi, my first post...mmm, have a small mom and pop place which serves Quebec style pizza..i had the best luck with 2 to 3 day cold ferment...great spring....merci

Offline piazzafatb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
I do my dough by hand.
I mix dry ingredients first then water and oil.
Stir with a spoon and later by hand knead.
Let it rest like 15minutes then re-ball and to the fridge 24 hours.

Do re-ball the dough would give me more or less oven spring?
Can I only mix, knead the dough and have more oven spring(no re-ball)?

My pizza crust is a little dense, want more airy pockets ;D

No formula details, just want to know how can I get more oven spring mixing by hand.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Sonny,

There is an element of truth in what you say. However, at any given time, there are only a small number of members who actively assist other members. Most members who join this forum do so out of self interest and come here looking for something. And they wish to get what they are looking for for nothing. In the vast majority of cases, they leave once they have gotten (or not gotten) what they were looking or hoping to get. I personally have over 19,000 posts, and closing in on 20,000 posts. Yet, I would estmate that well over ninety percent of my posts were addressed to members who are no longer here. Since I am also a Moderator who has to look at over 6000 new posts a month and over 70,000 new posts a year, that leave me with little time to devote to individual member issues or concerns. That means that I have to be very selective on what I post. I think other members who actively help others often do the same thing. They don't want to get too involved with other members when they know that the other members are unlikely to be around for long. They will reserve their best work for other active members or other members who show great promise and may stick around for a while and give something back to the forum.

A lot of members address their questions to Tom Lehmann even when there are other members who can provide the help requested. Since Tom has a full time job with the AIB and writes for various pizza related publications and participates on other forums and in industry/trade events and is also a teacher and consultant who is on the road quite a bit, there is no way for him to answer every question or request for help directed to him. And he is among the most generous persons with his time that I know of in the pizza industry. Also, I suspect that there are members who choose not to respond to questions directed to Tom out of courtesy, given that the poster intentionally sought Tom out for help. I often play the role of facilitator to gather more facts to help Tom provide a fuller or better response but, on occasion, I will provide answers to basic questions that do not need Tom's personal attention.

I appreciate your efforts to help others, much as others have helped you, but as a realist who has been around this place for about 9 years, and most of that time as a Moderator who sees everything that goes on on the forum, I am not optimistic that every member who comes to this forum will always get the best of what the forum can offer to them.

Peter

Wow Peter.  Great post and what an amazing contribution you make to this forum.  Thx.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »
Wow Peter.  Great post and what an amazing contribution you make to this forum.  Thx.
Thank you, Dave.

Peter