Author Topic: Getting ready for tonight's guilty pleasures  (Read 2606 times)

Offline redox

Getting ready for tonight's guilty pleasures
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
No, it's not that you pervs. My birthday isn't till next month.   :P
Iím talkin' Dexter and True Blood, and then to try to prove I'm not as dumb as I look, Masterpiece.
I tried to take an "artsy" shot of my grandfather's martini pitcher with the setting sun coming through the window behind me but it just looks like I really should wash the damn thing.  :-D

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Getting ready for tonight's guilty pleasures
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
I watch True Blood and only continue watching because I've seen so many.  I don't even like it lol. I stopped watching Dexter a few seasons ago because everytime I went to watch it my wife said "wait for me to watch it" yet she never had time.

Best shows that are still making new episodes

Breaking Bad, Homeland, and Game of Thrones

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
I watch True Blood and only continue watching because I've seen so many.  I don't even like it lol. I stopped watching Dexter a few seasons ago because everytime I went to watch it my wife said "wait for me to watch it" yet she never had time.

Best shows that are still making new episodes

Breaking Bad, Homeland, and Game of Thrones
That's what I meant by guilty pleasure. I really shouldn't watch this but I can't help myself.
Breaking Bad, Homeland, and Game of Thrones are just great entertainment. I'd rather watch an episode of any of those three than the crappy theatrical releases at the cineplex.
The first season of Homeland blew my socks off.
And Breaking Bad is the best TV since The Wire, imo.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »

And Breaking Bad is the best TV since The Wire, imo.

+100, my exact feelings.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »
Personally, I prefer GoT to later season Breaking Bad, but overall, I agree.

True Blood is so incredibly silly.  The whole series began jumping sharks and now it has evolved into sharks, on water skis, jumping other sharks.  It makes telenovelas look like Charlie Rose.

But I still tune in.  What else is there to watch?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:53:43 PM »

True Blood is so incredibly silly.  The whole series began jumping sharks and now it has evolved into sharks, on water skis, jumping other sharks.  It makes telenovelas look like Charlie Rose.

The wire

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
The wire

Maybe in 10 or 15 years, I might go back and watch the Wire again, but, right now, watching shows twice, even my favorite shows, just doesn't appeal to me.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:35:38 AM »
Maybe in 10 or 15 years, I might go back and watch the Wire again, but, right now, watching shows twice, even my favorite shows, just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh that makes sense. Didn't realize you had already seen it. I'm working on Sopranos right now. I have never seen it. I'm like 8 episodes in and I don't get the hype.

Offline redox

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:05 AM »

Sounds like the best Shark Week EVER! Put that on PPV!!
As far as GoT, I've been a fan of George R. R. Martin since Fevre Dream.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:14:01 AM by redox »

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »
Oh that makes sense. Didn't realize you had already seen it. I'm working on Sopranos right now. I have never seen it. I'm like 8 episodes in and I don't get the hype.
Don't give up on it before you see "Pine Barrens" it was directed by Steve Buscemi and is my all-time favorite.
The thing that bothered me about the series is the abandoned plot lines. They set up a situation and then just drop it. I can't give example w/o spoilers so you'll just have to watch and see what I mean.

Offline redox

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:10:32 AM »
I don't often watch shows again either. But hopefully as my memory fails I'll be able to enjoy some righteous tv for almost-the-first-time. ;D

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »

Justified. If you haven't seen it go back and watch from Season 1. Great acting, great stories, Walter Goggins. What more can you ask for?

Offline redox

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:32 AM »
Justified. If you haven't seen it go back and watch from Season 1. Great acting, great stories, Walter Goggins. What more can you ask for?
How about Walter Groggins as a transvestite on Sons of Anarchy? I laughed my ass off so much I was able to fit into some jeans from the 90's.
All these shows we've been mentioning is why my desire to go to the cinema is about zero. Age has taught me patience and I had no trouble waiting till the Avengers made it to PPV. I can enjoy it at home w/o risking getting stabbed after asking someone behind me to please shut the hell up so I can enjoy the movie.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:49:30 AM by redox »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 04:15:17 AM »
Got kinda hooked on Falling Skies, Hell on Wheels, Walking dead and on BBC, Copper, of course Dr Who and the new one that kinda got me is Orphan Black
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline redox

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Got kinda hooked on Falling Skies, Hell on Wheels, Walking dead and on BBC, Copper, of course Dr Who and the new one that kinda got me is Orphan Black
I've been a Sci-Fi fan (did you see how I spelled it SyFy channel? You purveyor of tripe!) for years and I watch Falling Skies, too. If last night's episode had been their first show, nobody would've tuned for the second. Hell on Wheels, I watch that, too. I was surprised to find out that alcohol fueled the railroad construction. How can you swing a sledge with a liver the size of a basketball? The Walking Dead, oh yeah. I just can't get enough dystopian future tv. It gives me the warm & fuzzies, like the Waltons. Once they got off the farm it got much better. The 2nd season of Copper is piling up on my dvr while I watch season 1 on Netflix, good show. I've tried many times to like Dr. Who  but just can't get into it. Crying Angels, statues that only move when you're not looking at them? They must have a special effects budget the size of my 7th grade allowance. Not my cup of tea. Sometime during the 4th of July weekend, BBCA ran all the 1st season episodes of Orphan Black and I dvr'd them. Excellent show, I've been recommending it to friends.
Holy crap! I watch way too much tv.
Nobody's mentioned Mad Men, the show where very often, something almost happens.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:03:27 AM by redox »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

+1 Hell on Wheels is a great show.

If you're soft like me and want a feel-good family show, Parenthood is a hidden gem. Excellent show that not many even know about.
Josh

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
How about Walter Groggins as a transvestite on Sons of Anarchy? I laughed my ass off so much I was able to fit into some jeans from the 90's.
All these shows we've been mentioning is why my desire to go to the cinema is about zero. Age has taught me patience and I had no trouble waiting till the Avengers made it to PPV. I can enjoy it at home w/o risking getting stabbed after asking someone behind me to please shut the hell up so I can enjoy the movie.

If you can filter out all of the awful TV and just watch the good stuff (and who can't these days) TV is way better than the movies.

I haven't seen Sons of A. but I might take a look to see Walter G.  He's such a great actor.  Actually Tim Olyphant is really good too (Raylan Givens in Justified). There is a really cool synergy between Raylan and Boyd. 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
I've been a Sci-Fi fan (did you see how I spelled it SyFy channel? You purveyor of tripe!) for years and I watch Falling Skies, too. If last night's episode had been their first show, nobody would've tuned for the second. Hell on Wheels, I watch that, too. I was surprised to find out that alcohol fueled the railroad construction. How can you swing a sledge with a liver the size of a basketball? The Walking Dead, oh yeah. I just can't get enough dystopian future tv. It gives me the warm & fuzzies, like the Waltons. Once they got off the farm it got much better. The 2nd season of Copper is piling up on my dvr while I watch season 1 on Netflix, good show. I've tried many times to like Dr. Who  but just can't get into it. Crying Angels, statues that only move when you're not looking at them? They must have a special effects budget the size of my 7th grade allowance. Not my cup of tea. Sometime during the 4th of July weekend, BBCA ran all the 1st season episodes of Orphan Black and I dvr'd them. Excellent show, I've been recommending it to friends.
Holy crap! I watch way too much tv.
Nobody's mentioned Mad Men, the show where very often, something almost happens.

Been a fan of Dr Who since the 60's. It's the cheap hokeyness that's the best part, like a cheap sci-fi soap opera, love it :-D Orphan Black, sci-fi mixed with steamy, provocative, edgy thing. Took me 3 episodes to get hooked

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
AND....if you haven't watched Pillars Of The Earth 8ish episode mini-series......AWESOME

Offline redox

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »
AND....if you haven't watched Pillars Of The Earth 8ish episode mini-series......AWESOME
We really liked Pillars of the Earth. Enjoyed the odd little Lilyhammer, too.
Almost forgot one of the best: House of Cards. Kevin Spacey is always worth watching.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:36:10 PM by redox »