Author Topic: Getting ready for tonight's guilty pleasures  (Read 2545 times)

Offline dhorst

Re: Getting ready for tonight's guilty pleasures
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
Just got back from the movies.  Saw The Conjuring.  Boy, did I do a lot of jumping with a few squeals here and there.  Best scary movie in a long time.  It certainly got my heart rate up. :-D

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
A couple of other TV shows that are worth going back and watching are Friday Night Lights and Freaks and Geeks.  Friday Night Lights was just great the first three seasons. It kind of went downhill after the third season.  I'm sure all you Texans have seen it already. 

There was only one season of Freaks and Geeks, unfortunately, but it is such a great show.   

Offline dhorst

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »
King of the Hill is one of our favorites.  The series finale, To Sirloin With Love, was stellar!

Offline redox

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
King of the Hill is one of our favorites.  The series finale, To Sirloin With Love, was stellar!
My wife turned me on to that show years ago. I watched it so much that I had no trouble understanding Boomhauer.  :)

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
My wife turned me on to that show years ago. I watched it so much that I had no trouble understanding Boomhauer.  :)

After too many barely pops we ALL get a little Boomhauered in the mouth, sounds fine to me :-D
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »
After too many barely pops we ALL get a little Boomhauered in the mouth, sounds fine to me :-D

^^^ :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
Another guilty pleasure: Hardcore Pawn. Watching it is like slowing down to get a better view of a highway accident. You know you shouldn't do it but you can't help yourself.
An unlikeable family runs the shop (the manufactured family drama has me swearing not to watch on a weekly basis) they are perfectly matched by their customers. I know they edit the footage to show the worst of the worst but I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect storm of ignorance and arrogance as in some of their patrons.
This show is the perfect definition of "guilty pleasure". After watching, I feel dirty, but very lucky.
I hope someday when I'm a better person, I'll stop watching.  :(

Offline redox

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Hell on Wheels starts season 3 tonight, not sure if I'll watch it. I probably will check it out, though. I started to get over it last season.
But, Breaking Bad starts tomorrow! Oh, man! I enjoy this show so much. I should've made some rock candy using a bit of blue food coloring to celebrate. I should leave a baggie of it under the driver's seat for the next time I get pulled over for speeding. The police seem so happy when they find something. You meet some really interesting people in a holding cell.

Offline redox

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
How many other people read the short poem "Ozymandias" to get ready for tonight's Breaking Bad?

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
Just now read it. Can't really say I understand it's meaning though.  :-\  Perhaps I'll figure it out as I watch.
Definitely a fan of the show and looking forward to tonights episode!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
Just now read it. Can't really say I understand it's meaning though.  :-\  Perhaps I'll figure it out as I watch.
Definitely a fan of the show and looking forward to tonights episode!

Perhaps hearing Bryan Cranston read it, it will make more sense. While it's open to many interpretations I believe it has something to do with the ego of a king who thought his works would last the test of time, only to have them crumble under the weight of the ages.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE</a>

jb

Offline redox

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
Perhaps hearing Bryan Cranston read it, it will make more sense. While it's open to many interpretations I believe it has something to do with the ego of a king who thought his works would last the test of time, only to have them crumble under the weight of the ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE

jb

That was my interpretation, too. Very well said.  :)

Offline scott123

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
I'm not liking the gleefully nihilistic direction the show took/is taking.  Episode 1 Walt was too Mr. Rogers to end up the way he is now. Smart educated middle class people don't end up like this.  Drug kingpin thugs are molded in broken homes, poverty and, mostly prisons. I'm not saying that there's never been a brilliant meth cook, but they sure as heck didn't travel this psychological path.  This is ridiculous and unbelievable. At this point, I have no emotional investment in any character. I don't care who lives or dies.

I'm not pleased. I expected Lost to fail in a spectacular manner. Not this.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:06:36 PM by scott123 »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
I'm not liking the gleefully nihilistic direction the show took/is taking.  Episode 1 Walt was too Mr. Rogers to end up the way he is now. Smart educated middle class people don't end up like this.  Drug kingpin thugs are molded in broken homes, poverty and, mostly prisons. I'm not saying that there's never been a brilliant meth cook, but they sure as heck didn't travel this psychological path.  This is ridiculous and unbelievable. At this point, I have no emotional investment in any character. I don't care who lives or dies.

Whoa Debbie Downer, it's a TV show!!!  If you don't like it don't watch it!  You must have better things to do than trash talk a TV show on a pizza forum...  (like posting photos from the blackstone that forum members bought you  ;D)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:33:11 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline scott123

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 05:47:31 AM »
The name of this sub forum is called 'Chitchat,'  CDNpielover.  Believe it or not, people do talk about topics other than pizza here. I know, shocking, huh?  ;D

My closest online friends are all here.  This is one of my favorite shows of all time (it's not The Wire, but it's up there).  Why wouldn't I share my disappointment in one of my favorite shows with some of my closest friends?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:57:52 AM by scott123 »

Offline redox

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »

Yeah, Lost and Sopranos both had sucky finales.
I don’t think Walt was as much Mr. Rogers as people think. He had a lot of repressed bitterness over selling his stake in Gray Matter Technologies for $5000 and now the company is worth over $2 Billion. Remember him checking the valuation of Gray Matter every week and complaining how he sold his kids’ birthright? These are the things that can seethe and boil under the surface until years later a lava flow of anger breaks through. Remember the saying near the end of your life (and Walt is certainly at that point) you have more regret over things you haven't done than what you have done?
 He's a brilliant man whose research was used to found a $2 billion company and he's relegated to a high school chemistry teacher's position. That, and all the other pressures that he's feeling might drive the real Mr. Rogers into a gun store.
I'm resisting the urge to go on but after all, it’s just a tv show, right?  :-D
p.s. Even the company's name "Gray Matter" was named for the founders Schwartz (means black) and White. Blend the two together and you get Gray Matter Technologies.
I do have to say, though, that the last episode, “Ozymandias” was one of the finest hours of television that I've had the pleasure of watching in some time.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:23:15 PM by redox »

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
Having watched the Ozymandias episode last night I can understand Scott's disappointment, though I don't quite share it. I'm not disappointed in the show, but rather with Walter or who I hoped he'd turn out to be. When you first meet him, you like him, and even though he's breaking the law you root for him. With each successive season he goes a bit further into the dark side and it's harder and harder to root for him, but oddly I still was, and I think that's the genius of the show. There is this slow evolution of this man who for much of the story rides the edge between playing with his demons and becoming one. In ozymandias he fully embraces his dark side and I see no redemption for him and I no longer care how he dies, only that he does.

I also think redox is right that he was never the Mr Rogers character that we first meet.

jb

Offline redox

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
Having watched the Ozymandias episode last night I can understand Scott's disappointment, though I don't quite share it. I'm not disappointed in the show, but rather with Walter or who I hoped he'd turn out to be. When you first meet him, you like him, and even though he's breaking the law you root for him. With each successive season he goes a bit further into the dark side and it's harder and harder to root for him, but oddly I still was, and I think that's the genius of the show. There is this slow evolution of this man who for much of the story rides the edge between playing with his demons and becoming one. In ozymandias he fully embraces his dark side and I see no redemption for him and I no longer care how he dies, only that he does.

I also think redox is right that he was never the Mr Rogers character that we first meet.

jb
Man, that scene-from-hell where Jesse is chained as a slave labor meth cooker and his motivation to do the job is a photo=threat of the last two people on earth that he cares about. That's powerful stuff.

Offline redox

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
Ok, this is not tv related but the last sentence is the oddest/funniest/saddest thing I've read today. From the Dear Prudence column on Slate.com

I divorced my husband of six years this spring, and even though the initial excitement of a new lease on life was exhilarating, I have found actuality to be just dreary and dismal. I fear I am spiraling downward and I have no way to stop it. My friends have given me some support, but I really don't think they fully understand the depth of my despair. I really don't know if I am reacting normally to this life change or if I need some help. Recently, I have even taken to only shaving one leg so when I lie in bed at night I feel like a man is next to me.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
Ok, this is not tv related but the last sentence is the oddest/funniest/saddest thing I've read today. From the Dear Prudence column on Slate.com

I divorced my husband of six years this spring, and even though the initial excitement of a new lease on life was exhilarating, I have found actuality to be just dreary and dismal. I fear I am spiraling downward and I have no way to stop it. My friends have given me some support, but I really don't think they fully understand the depth of my despair. I really don't know if I am reacting normally to this life change or if I need some help. Recently, I have even taken to only shaving one leg so when I lie in bed at night I feel like a man is next to me.

Well, you're right, that last sentence is the oddest/funniest/saddest thing I've read today, also.  It gives me pause and since the husband is out of town, I'm sure I'll be imagining what this woman feels like.  Off to shave one leg. ;)
And since we're off topic and talking about advice columns, I thought I would leave you all to have a laugh at this one, which became a very famous talk thread on SE.  So many other threads referenced this in the funniest of ways.
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/relationships/blog/2009/06/allergic_to_grilled_cheese.html