Author Topic: Lorenzo's in Oberlin, Ohio  (Read 1043 times)

Offline communist

Lorenzo's in Oberlin, Ohio
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
We left Northeastern Pennylvania heading to Mackinac Island, Michigan for a family vacation.  Motoring down the long stretches of Interstate 80 can stiffen your neck and the landscape of fast food restaurants can turn your stomach.  We were looking for water and wind and nature, opposite in direction of New York City, and further and further away from good food.  But wait!  Doesn't "thezeman" bake in Ohio?  Is Larry our only hope?  I google his place Lorenzo's in Oberlin Ohio, he is open, and tonight he is doing Neapolitan!  We head off 80 for a few miles, and spot his Main Street pizza shop on the right.  His pizza truck is in his parking lot, and the oven is blazing with an 850 floor.  The dough balls are dipped in semolina, and gently spread.  After sixty seconds of deck time,  the pies are rotated and domed for another 20 to 25 seconds. The pie has impressive leoparding!  The first bite reveals a bright tomato sauce that plays the romano sprinkled over the top.  A tender crust, with char without any burnt taste.  Rich mozzarella fills out the flavor adventure.  My kids loved the spinatta?  which had spinach, mozzarella, a butter garlic sauce and fresh tomatoes topped with sausage.  Larry brought out a complimentary "Lorenzos" pie, which was the best American Pie I had ever tasted!  A substantial, flavorful crust with a cooked sauce, cheese and fresh veggies.  Sure, I love NY pie, and I love Neapolitan.  Larry has expanded my world -  I love his "Lorenzos"!  My family and I talked with Larry -  what a generous host.  His italian warmth and passion for food was the highlight of my family's day! Pics to follow.   Mark :chef:

Offline communist

Re: Lorenzo's in Oberlin, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »
Pics

scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »
Larry brought out a complimentary "Lorenzos" pie, which was the best American Pie I had ever tasted!  A substantial, flavorful crust with a cooked sauce, cheese and fresh veggies.  Sure, I love NY pie, and I love Neapolitan.  Larry has expanded my world

That was my experience exactly.  Before tasting Larry's paradigm exploding pizza, I was painting non NY/non NP style pizza with a very broad chain-centric, highly critical brush.  Larry's pizza changed all that.

And the pizza I got was refrigerated.   I can't imagine how good it would be fresh out of the oven.

Mark, I'm glad you were able to experience that (along with Larry's usually stunning NP pies).

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »
I'm only 90 minutes away. This is now on my To Do list.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
What a detour.  You'll be within a minute of Supino on your way through Detroit which is worth a stop IMHO.  Would love an opinion on it from a New York pizza lover.

I could also guide you into some stellar detroit style.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:27:13 PM by shuboyje »
-Jeff

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:10 AM »
Between the forum affiliation and all the best of lists, Mark, if you're driving near Supino, go. And, definitely, try Jeff's Detroit recommendations as well- if you have time. Perhaps you can do Supino on the trip out and Detroit on the trip back  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:27:46 AM by scott123 »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:30:14 AM »
Looks pretty good to me.

And scott you are always up late it seems like. I'm three hours behind you! And there are too many Jeff's on this forum.  :-D I guess most have taken to calling me Jeffrey even though that's not how you spell my name.  ;D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
 mark, sorry i did not respond sooner i was in new york trying to become better at Neapolitan pizza i took quite a few steps back trying to work with roberto's dough,it is very challenging. i will report on this in another thread.

i really enjoyed meeting you and your family,they all seem to support your love for pizza. no, they all seem to love pizza as much as you do!!!! i could see excitement in their eyes as they were trying the pizza. that was really enjoyable to watch.

i could look at the wood baked pies and critiqued how they were made,i may have done something different. since i did not touch the dough for your pies i do not know how difficult it was to work with. we may sell 50 to 60 wood pies on a sunday and 200 of our gas oven pizzas,i go where i am needed. during your visit i was inside making  pies and helping my oven man with the gas oven.

i want to thank you for your visit it is always nice to see a pm.com brother. in you case a pm.com family.
                                                                                                                                            thanks again,larry

pizzapan