Author Topic: Anna 00 Flour  (Read 2699 times)

Offline shuboyje

Anna 00 Flour
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »
Wondering if anybody has made dough using the Anna 00 flour Cento is now selling at retail?  I bought a small bag a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to make Neapolitan yet to try it out, but my wife made so Ricotta Gnocchi with it the other day and I'm really curious to try it out.  The Gnocchi were great, what intrigued me was how light, soft and tender they were. 
-Jeff

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: Anna 00 Flour
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
I have used this flour with good results, not bad for being able to find it in my local supermarket. Only drawback for me is the price, almost $4 for a 2.2lb bag. I will probably stick with using unbleached, unbromated AP or some extra fine white whole wheat I can get from the restaurant store. If price is no big deal for you I'd say give it a try, you might like it.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
I bought a bag at Whole Foods. $3.49. Trying it out on some pizza.

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
The Anna 00 pictured above is on the low side for protein, sort of like White Lily all purpose.  I canít find any published specs for the Anna, but I compared it to Whole Foods Everyday Value 365 all purpose (as this flour has no enzymes or malted barley and neither does 00, and both listed 3 grams of protein on the label, for whatever that is worth).  For neo-Neapolitan style, I found the 365 performed better (better texture in the finished product, crispy on the outside, yet soft on the inside) and was significantly less expensive.  I see no need to buy this particular 00 flour again (maybe the Anna 00 is good for gnocchi).

Offline keylime73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »
Old thread, but I just wanted to chime-in and say that I ran across this flour in the Whole Foods the other day and bought a bag. I've never used Caputo or any 00 flour.  I treated it like a  NY recipe: 60% hydration 3% oil 2.5% salt 1% DSMP  1% sugar.3 IDY.   At 48 hours @45F it had a big blowout bubble, but despite that  when I went to open it, it seemed very dense and dry, almost like a pie crust. Maybe this is how 00 is normally?

I made another with 64% 3% oil and it wasn't as pie-crust like but didn't cook-up that much better than the other.  I had thought that it would probably be sticky at that hydration, but it was okay to handle. Oven spring was almost non-existent, even on 1/2" steel at 650F.

Out of curiosity and because I couldn't find any real specs on the internet, I sent an e-mail to Cento customer service and asked them if they could tell me what % protein it was. 

Got a reply and the representative said it was 14%.  :-\  I assume he was just telling me whatever, but dunno.

Anyway, that's my ANNA flour story.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »
keylime73,

When I was researching the Anna 00 flour in the course of putting together the vendor list at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.0, I did not find much on that flour although I did find some basic information, along with a few user comments, at http://www.foodfromitaly.com/Anna-Napoletana-Tipo-00-Extra-Fine/A/B00EJR37K0.htm.

As for the 14% protein number, I believe that that is reported on what is called a "0%" or "dry matter" basis, whereas in the U.S., we typically use a 14% moisture basis. Converting to a U.S. basis, I believe the protein content for the Anna 00 flour would be around 12%, which would not be unusual for a 00 flour. The actual number may be a bit different because the moisture content of Italian and other European flours can be higher than 14%. It might be as high as 15.5% although I have noticed recently that Caputo has been reporting a moisture basis more in line with the U.S. moisture basis.

If you are interested, you can read more about the two reporting methods in this King Arthur document:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060208023504/http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/15ec5c94af1251cdac2d7a25848f0e27/miscdocs/Flour%20Guide.pdf

Peter

Offline keylime73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »
keylime73,

When I was researching the Anna 00 flour in the course of putting together the vendor list at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.0, I did not find much on that flour although I did find some basic information, along with a few user comments, at http://www.foodfromitaly.com/Anna-Napoletana-Tipo-00-Extra-Fine/A/B00EJR37K0.htm.

As for the 14% protein number, I believe that that is reported on what is called a "0%" or "dry matter" basis, whereas in the U.S., we typically use a 14% moisture basis. Converting to a U.S. basis, I believe the protein content for the Anna 00 flour would be around 12%, which would not be unusual for a 00 flour. The actual number may be a bit different because the moisture content of Italian and other European flours can be higher than 14%. It might be as high as 15.5% although I have noticed recently that Caputo has been reporting a moisture basis more in line with the U.S. moisture basis.

If you are interested, you can read more about the two reporting methods in this King Arthur document:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060208023504/http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/15ec5c94af1251cdac2d7a25848f0e27/miscdocs/Flour%20Guide.pdf

Peter

Ah, cool. Thanks for that. I saw some similar comments too, elsewhere, but could never find specs, even when I faked some Italian in Google.  The reviewers at your link seem to like it.   I think I may give it another shot with a little more water and less yeast.  Besides blowing-out the dough balls looked great and really held their shape during the CF.  In the oven they did nothing; they baked very flat and dense.  Flavor, and even the browning, was good, though.  Maybe I overworked them a little since I kind of assumed it was a softer flour.  :angel:

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »
KL,

Only recently did I  get some Caputo Pizzeria (Thanks Norma  :) ) to play with..in fact, have some dough  in fridge now. Before this, any N P dough  was made with Anna. It's worked very well for me at 62% HR. I've tried it alone, and blended with HG flour  and it's been fine, so not sure why it would seem dry. But I haven't been using malt or sugar in it, so not sure whether that's a   factor)

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
I had posted this on resources but it applies here, yes I buy Anna and I cannot tell the difference.

Many have a hard time finding tipo 00 flour (Caputo is a brand, tipo 00 is the grind). I have used both Anna and Caputo I cannot tell the difference (there are sites for both check it out if you want or search the posting on this forum).
That said I can get Caputo at the Italian market(s) about 30 miles away for about $3.70-$4.50 for a kilo 2.2 pounds. I had stumbled upon Anna at my local Joblot, I have bought all I could find and then no longer have it. So while I like going to Federal Hill, the 60 mile round trip would predicate stocking up.
My real reason to post is that you can buy Anna (napoletana tipo 00) flour for $33.89 for 10 bags or 22lbs. For some reason I could not get free in store pickup (maybe you can), even so the shipping was $4.60 so my total was $38.49. I ordered today 6/20 and will have it at my door by 6/24 not bad.

So if you are in an Italian provisions black hole Walmart can get it to you in under a week, I tried Amazon but it was way overpriced. Factor in the gas and you are ahead.
I make pizza every week I use a bag every two weeks (a few ounces over) so I will be set for a while. Space is my only concern now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 12:54:35 PM »
The servings per container certainly isn't right.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
The servings is off, given flour is about 4.25 oz per cup 1/4 cup is 1.0625 oz or 30.1 grams.
1000/30 = 33 servings???????????

Something is lost in the translation?
I would like to see an Italian version, perhaps that makes mor sense.

As far as pane-ing I have no problem so the gluten and protein must be enough. I can get it very thin if I had an extra hand I would show pictures.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »
I kind of doubt there is an Italian version. I think Anna is a Cento brand.

Edit - I see it is on the picture above.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:54:21 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
As far as pane-ing I have no problem so the gluten and protein must be enough. I can get it very thin if I had an extra hand I would show pictures.

How long are you fermenting?

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »
Given the bad packaging (16 servings) I decided to lookup Caputo (red bag).
Here is the label; serving size 1/4 cup servings per container 45, protein 3g same as Anna, it would seem the protein content is the same.
Somehow this is all messed up.
If a serving is 30g and it is a 1000g package how does that add up to 45 serving (nearly 350 grams over) it should be 33 like above.

Someone post the Italian I can read enough to get by perhaps it is correct.

??? ??? ???

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:24:11 PM by old_alex »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
By "red bag," you mean "Chef's flour," right?

The protein can't be correct either. The spec sheet says 13.5% which would be 4.05g/30g. The protein should say 4g.

http://caputoflour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/00-Chef-Flour-SPECS.pdf

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 05:13:22 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
They changed the formula a few years ago. Maybe those are old pictures.

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »
The saga continues:
I just got some new Anna Tipo 00 Flour and the label differs???????

35g per serving,
4g Protein

So at minimum it is 10% (3.5g rounded up)
The Max is 12.8 % (4.499g rounded down).

Too big of a ballpark to read anything into it.

Anyway here is the new package.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »
The saga continues:
I just got some new Anna Tipo 00 Flour and the label differs???????

35g per serving,
4g Protein

So at minimum it is 10% (3.5g rounded up)
The Max is 12.8 % (4.499g rounded down).

Too big of a ballpark to read anything into it.

Anyway here is the new package.

Yes, this was discussed recently in another thread. The nutritional statement is definitely not there to aid pizzamaking.  :-D

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
They had it at my local Shoprite supermarket today.
But I stuck with the Pillsbury all purpose until I go in late July for my case of Grande chesse.
And will get a 55lb bag of Caputo 00 for $37.......Better then paying shipping..................JT

wordpress