Author Topic: Coal Inspired Pizza  (Read 4246 times)

Offline pt

Coal Inspired Pizza
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
Unbromated All Trumps with 3 day fermentation. It was not too crunchy, tender on the inside with a very slight chew to it.  The pizza was placed on the stone at 670-695 degrees.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Coal Inspired Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Unbromated All Trumps with 3 day fermentation. It was not too crunchy, tender on the inside with a very slight chew to it.  The pizza was placed on the stone at 670-695 degrees.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Awesome. I want to make that pizza exactly.  Great job pt. 

Excuse me I need to start a three day fermentation. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
Nice looking pie.  Glad it ate well.  Any crumb shots?

Offline pt

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »
TinRoof, I will trade this one for the one you made over on the BS thread.  I still think about that pizza.

Chau, thanks. I failed to take other shots but next time I will.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:33:11 PM »
Was this baked in your blackstone?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
I snagged a bag of unbromated All-Trumps today.   :D  Hopefully that will help with the coal fired look. 

pt, how long do you think you baked that pizza above for?  Have you done the deflector mod on your oven? 

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:52:29 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline pt

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
Chau, yes it was in the BS.

Tinroof, no mods yet. I would say the time was between 3:30 to 4 minutes.  As soon as the pizza was placed on the stone I lowered the flame some. At this lower heat the flame was barely touching the top stone.  For me the front dial is super sensitive at these lower flame levels. Have you notice this?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:03:28 PM by pt »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
That's a nice pizza.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
Very nice pt   :)

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:46:24 AM »
Very nice pie.  I can source just about anything re pizza here on Long Island NY but I haven't seen unbromated All Trumps.  If anyone has let me know.
Trosenberg

Online scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:04:20 AM »
I snagged a bag of unbromated All-Trumps today.   :D

For those who live in areas that can't get bromated flour, I think Pendleton Power Flour is a better product than unbromated AT.

Offline pt

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
Thank you Jeff, Deb and Trosenberg.

Scott, I need to try the power flour sometime.  nybakers.com has it in 5 lbs if anyone is interested in buying smaller quantities.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
For those who live in areas that can't get bromated flour, I think Pendleton Power Flour is a better product than unbromated AT.

Scott, good choice. I use Power Flour. I don't have experience with bromated flour but I do like Power Flour. I found if I use 67% Power Flour and 33% bread flour such as KA or Better For Bread the pizzas turn out really right on target. There are other factors such as formula and baking technique but that combo woulds fine.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:37:29 AM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
I would say the time was between 3:30 to 4 minutes. 
Just as I thought. That seems to be a really good sweet spot for this oven, if you can get there. I have a hard time making it to 4 min. 

For me the front dial is super sensitive at these lower flame levels. Have you notice this?

Yes, I've noticed it, and I've put the flame out a couple of times trying to lower the flame. It's like working the clutch on a '68 911. You need to feel it.  Glad that igniter is handy and works really well. 

I've got my three day All Trumps dough fermenting away in the fridge. I made it this morning so I guess I will be trying to bake a coal inspired pizza on Thursday if the stars align. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline pt

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
Tinroof, if you see this before making your pizza today could you take a shot of your cold dough?  I am curious to see the difference in our dough’s using All Trumps after three days.

I plan on doing 24 hour All Trumps dough for a Saturday cook. I will make some changes to my dough prep after mixing to see how these changes affect the look and texture of the cooked dough.

Enjoy your pizza today.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
Tinroof, if you see this before making your pizza today could you take a shot of your cold dough?  I am curious to see the difference in our dough’s using All Trumps after three days.

I plan on doing 24 hour All Trumps dough for a Saturday cook. I will make some changes to my dough prep after mixing to see how these changes affect the look and texture of the cooked dough.

Enjoy your pizza today.

I'll be glad to take photos of the dough.  This morning I transferred it from the fridge to a cooler at about 55-60 degrees, so it will have warmed up a bit when I get home. But I'll take copious photos and post. 

I'm getting hungry! 

TinRoof

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 02:22:12 AM »
Here are the results of my coal inspired pizza made from three day dough.  First a couple of photos of the dough as it came out of the ice chest around 8pm this evening.  It had spent all day in the ice chest with an ice pack at temps around 55F.  The dough developed very well over three days. This was a 65% hydration dough using All Trumps (non-bromated). I had added a bit of rye flour and some wheat germ (a la Nancy Silverton) so you can see some small speckles of wheat germ in the dough balls. The dough was very extensible, and the gluten seemed well developed. I had tons of small bubbles on the crust, as you can see below. 

Next, the pizzas:
1. Cheese
2. Tomato sauce, pistachio, red onion olive oil (what can I say; I'm in a rut!)
3. Pepperoni
4. Pesto Frankenpizza (launching issue)

The cheese was the first and I don't think the oven was at optimal heat. Still, it came out fairly well.  The second pizza (pistachio) cooked better and I got more of the coal fired look that I was seeking.  This one took just about 4 minutes.  I could not stop eating it and had to be pulled away and back to my prep station.  The pepperoni was stellar, and also took about 4 minutes.  The problem with the pesto was that the dough had warmed up quite a bit and was even more stretchable than it was at the outset. I stretched it very thin and then tried to apply pesto mixed with some schmaltz (chicken fat) and demi glace (drippings left over from a chicken on the Farberware rotisserie (a great gadget, BTW)). I got a bit over-ambitious with the toppings in light of the warming dough, and it just folded over itself as I put it on the Blackstone. Howver, the pizza/calzone was actually super delicious, so I got over my initial rage about the bad launch. 

All in all I think I made good progess toward the coal inspired pizza. Not quite at pt levels yet, but I'm working on it.  The All Trumps flour is really nice flour; very happy with it. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
A few more crumb pics from the three day dough.

Offline pt

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
Those pies and crumb look excellent. My better half would love the pesto frankenpizza  :) as she wants me to make one almost every time we make pizza.  I am sure it tasted great.

Our cold dough’s had pretty much the same appearance except you had much more bubbles from the longer warm up and maybe different yeast amounts.   It is fascinating to see the results from the same flour, fermentation times and pizza oven.  What was the temperature of the stone on the cheese and the pepperoni pizza?  I am going to work on a Grimaldi’s recipe and the color of these pizzas are close to what I am looking for. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
Those pies and crumb look excellent. My better half would love the pesto frankenpizza  :) as she wants me to make one almost every time we make pizza.  I am sure it tasted great.

Our cold dough’s had pretty much the same appearance except you had much more bubbles from the longer warm up and maybe different yeast amounts.   It is fascinating to see the results from the same flour, fermentation times and pizza oven.  What was the temperature of the stone on the cheese and the pepperoni pizza?  I am going to work on a Grimaldi’s recipe and the color of these pizzas are close to what I am looking for.

Thanks pt. I need to work on my shaping a bit I think.  The stone was actually reading a bit hotter for the cheese, around 750, but I don't think the heat had saturated the oven quite as much. I turned the heat down a bit between pizzas, and then by the time I baked the second one I the stone was at about 675 or so. I was able to bake the second and third pies a full four minutes which really helped with the crust browning. And the bottoms came out about right too. Sometimes I've had trouble with burning on the bottoms on a four minute pie, but last night it went well. The spacers help I think. 

It's nice to bake in an oven where the concern is it being too hot!  Did you see those pizzas JackItUp made on his secret ingredient thread?  Those look a bit coal fire inspired to me!  Pretty awesome.  The BS oven is upping lots of people's games around here...

Looking forward to seeing your Grimaldi's style pie.  I just went and had a look at Grimaldi's website and it looks like they are opening a location in Los Angeles. I wonder if the AQMD (or air quality watchdogs) will allow a coal fired oven here?  I don't even think you can buy coal in California. Nobody uses it for anything as far as I know. 

pizzapan